Adding extra workout to counteract "mistakes" Is this normal

Options
So my husband left me a tiny box of chocolate for Valentines Day. Only 4 pieces - I ate it this afternoon and just considered it as one of my meals. Well, it put me into a tailspin and within an hour of that chocolate, I was scrounging for more and ended up eating 8 more pieces and a cupcake. :( I had already worked out this morning and my calorie balance after all the extra sweets put me about 500 over my goal. So, I got on my treadmill this evening to attempt to burn off those cheats, plus I was thinking of shorting myself by about 300 tomorrow to compensate further.

Is this normal behavior, or would this be considered extreme?

Replies

• AmeMahoney
    Options
    It depends on how often you do it, and if it causes you psychological pain or interferes with other aspects of your life. For example, if you start over-eating because you know you can burn an extra 700 calories after dinner if you just stay on the elliptical for 2 hours, then that's bad. If it's just one day, let it go.

We all have these thoughts about exercising out all of our calories, especially if we had an "oopsy," but it's definitely not healthy to act on those thoughts. Chalk it up and move on the next day.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    Chalk it up and move on the next day.

YEP LOG IT. LEARN FROM IT. THAN FORGET IT. IT HAPENS TO US ALL
  • bexywoza
    Options
    You know what, id just put it down to a bad day and start again tomorrow, dont beat yourself up for the odd little binge otherwise the temptation to feel like you fail will just make you want to give up quicker.

If you manage to stay healthily under your calorie goal tomorrow (without cutting out meals) and again the next day the overall score over the week will average out.

Not that ive lost much myself but im trying to maintain weight rather than loose and this seems to be working well for me, physically and psychologically - hope this helps :-))

Becky
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Oi you are not alone!!! I often eat my entire calorie count before dinner, knowing that I still have a workout coming! I double up on my workouts often, especially if I know I am going to be going out to eat, or in anticipation of something delicious coming along. Oh, but if you hope on the treadmill today and burn off that 500, why should you try to be under another 300 tomorrow?? I figure, as long as you are under calorie count every day, do whatever it takes!
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. It happens to everyone!! Don't bring it into tomorrow just start fresh from tomorrow and learn from today. Try not to beat yourself up!!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Seriously, going over your caloric intake for one day once in a while isn't that bad. It doesn't "shock" your body. After all, losing weight is a long process; that involves making your subconscious mind believe you are not getting enough nutrients/energy in a day. When your subconscious mind finally gets to this mindset (which can take a while, and is why people often plateau in weight loss programs), it isn't going to be shocked back out of that mindset quickly. Remember; this is your *sub*conscious mind, not your conscious mind. It's not really that "quick on the uptake". If it gets extra calories for one day... it's first reaction is basically... "what's this? I'm not used to this!" and it doesn't know how to react. Often it doesn't react. But... if you over-consume your calories day after day, your body starts to sense a pattern, and react accordingly.

One day won't kill you. One day a week... that could change things. If it's once a month? That, I'm sure your body could deal with.
  • rastrillo
    rastrillo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it extreme. I would call it being honest. Don't beat yourself up, tomorrow is another day. As long as this doesn't happen on a regular basis, the harm is negligible. In the future, when you give in and over indulge, I would suggest drinking copious amounts of water. This trick is used by bodybuilders when they break their diets. Every minute of treadmill is just that much better. I think you handled the situation very well.
  • keepitoff99
    Options
    I did this one day last week. I overate, had already exercised and wanted to stay on track so did another workout.
    Would not recommend it very often. Hard on your body too.
    Like the others said, just let it go and move on. Start on track the next day! It's a life journey and you are going to have bad days. Today I decided that I was not even going to taste the chocolate my husband bought me....or the cupcakes we made for the kids....or the candy....etc, etc. and I haven't. I had a rice K 90 cal treat instead and bought a pack of gum! I can relate though as I did the same as you last week one day! Once you take that first bite, you want to keep eating. It's Valentine's day ---- enjoy it and move on tomorrow :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - this all makes total sense! I feel much better - tomorrow is a new day. :)