Sodium question...

Options
So I know that too much sodium can lead to water retention and temporary weight gain. My question is...How much sodium is "too much"? I just had some lays chips and I still have 696 mg of sodium until I'm officially "over" according to MFP. Do you go by MFP's set amount of sodium or is it ALL bad? I'm just scared of retaining tons of water from an ounce of lays chips. I do drink a TON of water throughout the day. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you so much!

Replies

• Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have found that sodium hurts me worse then calories! I try to keep my sodium under 1500 as much as possible. It is hard for me sometimes though when I work 14-15 hour days and have to pack all of my meals.
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Oh, and drink lots of water!! I usually get in 8-10 glasses a day.
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    I agree. More than 1500mg of sodium and I can put on 2lbs overnight! Yea, it makes you retain water but it's also no good for your heart.
  • solrak1969
    solrak1969 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree with Melanie. Sodium has been my biggest problem, I try to keep it as low as possible. Ditch the lays and grab some Utz all natural reduced fat chips. They are very good. and about 100 mg of sodium.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I agree with Melanie. Sodium has been my biggest problem, I try to keep it as low as possible. Ditch the lays and grab some Utz all natural reduced fat chips. They are very good. and about 100 mg of sodium.

Thanks for the tip! I will look for some!