SMACK ME!! .. Anyone have an tricks?

Options
I have been battling the MUNCHIES ALLL DAAY LOONG!! I have not succumbed YET, but I am surely feeling like gobbling and gobbling... I'm at a point in my diet where I have been going almost three weeks, and have done well. I don't want to blow it, but geeez this desire to chow down is strong. I think I get to this point lots of times, fall off the wagon, and then it is difficult to get back on board. I want to make it over this hurdle, but know from past experience that these cravings continue for DAYS once they start.

Anyone have an tricks up their sleeves for staying on track and not giving in when the urge to eat is strong? Thanks in advance for tips, advice, ideas, or for smacking me if need be!! :explode:

Replies

• Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    RESIST!!!

I feel you....I've been surrounded by Girl Scout Cookies for the past two days....the only thing that's kept me from tearing the boxes apart is people have spoken for them....but I swear, my mouth has been watering all day!!!!

You'll feel better for resisting than giving in!
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    I use fat free chocolate milk. I drink it slowly and allow myself to enjoy the flavor. It's better than scarfing down a Snickers bar! :)
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Hot Lemon Tea, Sugar Free Carnation Hot Chocolate (with water or low fat/non fat milk), low-fat yogurt, a piece of fresh fruit, a nice tall glass of ice water (with or without lemon)....just to name a few. ;)
  • julesnpdx
    Options
    If I'm in one of those moods I either exercise or chow on some popcorn (or both).
    You can make it.:smile:
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    2% greek yogurt, mix in some dry ranch dip mix, then dip carrots and celery in it.
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    EXERCISE!!!! If you make yourself exercise, you won't be thinking about snacking while you do it, and then afterwards you will have even MORE calories that you can eat for the rest of the day!
  • shelliehalprin
    Options
    Try eating more often and include more protein and whole grains. The best eating plan is one where you are never hungry and never full. You shouldn't get to the point where you are hungry each and every day. Keep snacks at your desk or in your purse. Being hungry is one of the worst sensations on earth, so don't let yourself get there. I've been enjoying blueberries a lot lately. I can eat a whole cup by eating one blueberry at a time and they last a long time and they are "cheap" calories. If you keep denying yourself, you'll eventually cave in because a person can only tolerate that kind of torture for so long! I love Thin Mint cookies, and I've been making room in my food plan for 2 cookies every day (80 calories) for the last week! You can do it!
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    Exercise, Protein, Fiber, WATER, gum, brush your teeth (you won't want to mix the flavor of the toothpaste with food, right? and who can eat with nice clean teeth)....Get up an move!
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    I’m not an all or nothing eater. I believe in strict moderation and portion control and being mindful of what I eat and what the real costs are. If I’m going to eat out-of-bounds, I think about how much exercise I might need to compensate, or how it will affect my calories and nutrients for the whole day. If I have room, and I’ve decided the cost is worth it, I’ll eat it—consciously, with full knowledge of my choice.

But if I need help resisting, my first and foremost trick is to drink water. It does wonders for curing that need to nibble on something. Chocolate milk is a great substitute, if you are having a chocolate craving and just can’t get your mind off of it.

But another great thing is to go into you diary and start logging the sugary sweets you want to eat. Watch the numbers explode (especially the sugar and fat). Then, decide if it’s worth it.
  • holtorfsangel
    holtorfsangel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I don't know, but for what I do: well here ya' go!

Sweet tooth = I buy a bag of hershy kisses and keep them in the freezer and limit myself to 2 a day. Since they are frozen I just kind of let them melt in my mouth so I have that chocolate endulgence longer.

Bored and wanting to munch = Get a contianer of popcorn and small brown lunch bags. A can of butter flavored non stick spray and some popcorn butter sprinkels (both claim to have no calories per serving but still go very light). Put just enough pop corn in the bottom of the bag to almost cover the bottom then microwave till the popping slows or I just use my popcorn button. It is air poped so it's VERY low cal!!

Need a boost to help me feel a little healthy = I grab an apple.

Always drink water, it's very filling!!!

What ever you do remember this. You can do it if you really want it bad enough. Nothing taste as good as being thin feels.
  • geocookie
    geocookie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Okay, grabbed myself some ice water while I'm reading everyone's suggestions.. I might just have to print these out and remind myself as I battle this urge to eat for however long it lasts. I'm doing six protein/carb balanced meals per day.. and trying not to let myself get too hungry between, but have been hungrier between lately than I was over the past couple of weeks. The first week, I wasn't really hungry at all. The past week, I have woken up STARVING HUNGRY with my stomach just growling! I like waking up hungry, but that does make me wonder if my body is objecting to the reduction in intake.

I really appreciate the ideas.. A couple of the snack ideas sound like great ideas.. like the chocolate milk... I could see that being soothing! I wouldn't have thought of using that as a fulfilling option. I like the idea of exercising too.. to give myself 'more' calories.. although, I can see where exercise might be a great way to take the edge off the urge to eat. Maybe I should adopt a new mindset of exercising for at least 15 minutes before any snack.. could be a good change to make. I've already exercised today, but more would be beneficial. Now.. to follow through with the idea of exercise before eating!!

THANKS SO MUCH *everyone* for your input.. I'll be reading everything everyone posts with great interest!! AND printing the suggestions out to have handy if the urge to eat continues to plague me for the next however many days!!

DEEP BREATH.. Going to sip more water!
  • alisonstrickland
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel
    I started my journey 8 days ago and Im yet to hit that spot yet .
    It scares me because I know when it comes.......and it will......... I will either fight it or let it take control of me like it usually does. I intend to fight it this time and Im hoping by using this site I can finally beat it.
    Its comforting to know Im not the only one who feels like this and its good to be able to talk about it....... which is something I havent been able to do in the past.
    There are some valuable pearls of advice preceding my comment, what brilliant people you all are!
    I feel privileged to be part of this community. :flowerforyou:
  • geocookie
    Options
    YAY Alison.. LET's make a pact to fight through it!! This is almost always the make-or-break point in dieting for me.. I know it has to be a lifelong change of lifestyle, but making it through this craving-urge is to me.. essential to get THROUGH to the other side in order to be successful. Let's do this together!
  • cpumeu
    cpumeu Posts: 89
    Options
    sugar free chewing gum....and carrots (No! not together!!! hahaha)
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Brush Your Teeth :)
  • itsjustme77
    Options
    At night I've been drinking raspberry herbal tea. It's yummy and fills some of the emptiness.
  • alisonstrickland
    Options
    Your on!!!!! :smile:
  • petey49
    petey49 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes. Tasty, fun and have to be eaten slowly.
  • geocookie
    Options
    OH... WE HAVE GRAPES! Think I'll go throw some in the freezer. They won't help me at THIS minute, but maybe they'll help if this urge continues tomorrow. Drinking water has help slow down the urge a bit.. Think I'll go brush my teeth too. THANKS everyone! I'm keeping these ideas for reference!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    5 calorie jello is great or I like to also sip on a diet soda, or a coffee with vanilla splenda. a big glass of crystal light.

Those are my 10 calorie or less options.....I snack a lot and have higher calorie options too.