AM exercising?

Options
I've never really considered waking up to work out. Tomorrow, though, I'm trying it. What are your thoughts on early morning work outs? Do you like it or not? When do you prefer it?

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Love your name!
    I wish I was a morning person ... Im not! If I can actually get myself up then I enjoy it, unfortunately I love my bed!
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I really like early morning workouts - I hate getting up earlier, but I love that I am done. Plus it makes it easier for me to figure out my calories for the day if I know what I've done workout wise.
  • juleslianne
    Options
    Morning workouts are awesome!!! Even just a mini one like a short walk gets you in the "healthy" mood and kickstarts your metabolism. I hope you enjoy it!!
  • ryanmelissa09
    Options
    Morning work outs are great. Even if its only a 10 or 15 min warm up to get your day started. I know it wakes me up and helps me get the day going.
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    My 4 boys leave for the bus at 7am and I workout right after that. I love am workouts as it gives me lots of energy throughout the day. I can't imagine working out at night as it would amp me up and I wouldn't be able to sleep. I am a morning person though and don't wok outside the home so it works for me.
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I find it so much easier to do my workouts in the morning before work. Once I get home from working all day I just don't have that same energy to give a good workout....and I agree, it's a great way to get the day going!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Gotta eat first
  • emaleighgordon
    Options
    @emmaleigh47- Hehe, my mom almost added another "m!"
    @ALL- Thanks for your replies! That definitely got me a bit more excited for tomorrow morning.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    Gotta love them. I get up an hour before the kids to a quiet house and knock out my 60 minutes of exercise for the day. It energizes me for the day and it is over with. You can do your hair, makeup and whatever else and be done til the next day. The black cloud that lurks over your head when exercising late is gone. Plus, nothing to come up to side track you.
  • amnix
    amnix Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Early morning is my favorite time to exercise. Not only is it done and out of the way, I have very long days and it energizes me for the entire day. Another plus for me is I just seem to feel better and less stressed throughout my day.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Gotta eat first

Maybe. I'd try a light snack at least 15 minutes before hand. We never got to eat in the Army before our morning workout, and sometimes I still just get up and go. It's better if you can get a little something something in. And not hurl it out like those losers on Heartbreak Hill.

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning! (ok, just kidding about the Napalm). :blushing:
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    I do a quick cup of coffee and then get busy. If I ate and waited for it to settle a bit, I would have to get up an hour and a half before I had to. Never going to happen.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    I used to go at 5 am so I could be home before my kids get up. Once you get used to it you'll like it. I love my coffee but It was making my feel nauseous so I switched to a small 8 oz protein shake. You have to have some thing in your stomach so you don't burn out half way through.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love the feeling of being done working out first thing in the morning. But I only do it in the warmer months with more daylight hours as I like to go run outside. In the short dark days of winter, I sleep in the morning.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I love working out in the morning. My alarm goes off at 4:15 and I'm getting my Zumba burn on by 4:30. I'm done by 5:30 and the rest of the day is mine.
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Morning works outs are the best. I truly believe it was what helped me with my weight loss. Getting it out of the way makes the rest of the day seem like cake. It helps boost your metabolism, you know how much and what kinds of what you can eat and you don't have to worry about making excuses. I am not a morning person, and I usually am a zombie whilst working out, but after I'm done I feel energized and ready for the day!
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm clearly in the minority, but I HATE working out in the morning. I would prefer to complete my exercising before work, but I just can't. I do Jillian Michaels' "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism," which is fairly intense, and I really struggle with it in the AM, but in the evenings it's much more do-able. However, everybody is different; all you can do is try it, and then figure out what works best for you!

Good luck!
  • kilojoule
    Options
    LOVE IT - read an article about exercising in the fasted state and was sold.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18276898

i now wake up every morn at 5am - pound 2 cups of coffee with 1% milk for a bit of fat and get a solid 1 hr workout (alternate between strength training and cardio) in BEFORE eating.