heart rate monitor vs calorie charts

Options
hello all. I've been trying to get healthy for the last 1.5 months and been doing more excercise than I've done in years. I've been working very hard and wonder if the calories posted for a given activity are very accurate. My first thought was to buy a HRM. However, the more I look at them and reviews people are constantly questioning the amount of calories that their HRM displays as burned.

So my question is, If I'm going to say wow that was really high and go and look at a chart to see if its normal or not, why not just use the chart to start with?

any help is appreciated.

Replies

• LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    best bet is to get a HRM.
  • jackier19
    jackier19 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would def go with a hrm bc it's geared specifically to you. I just received mine today and the machines are way off. I'm going to go with my hrm calorie burn from now on. Good luck on your weight loss journey! The results are completely worth all of the hard work!
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    the most accurate measurement is the bodybugg which has significantly come down in price (144 right now thru 24 hour fitness), however if you cant afford that then I recommend a high quality hrm with a chest strap.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think a HRM is way more accurate. Because it knows your weight, height, gender etc and it actually has a monitor on your chest to keep track of you HR as you workout it will be able to keep track of the calories you burn and not be based on averages.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this, I've been wondering the same thing!!!! I guess my next question is, which are the most reliable??? I've looked at several brands and models and have heard that a chest strap is the best and most accurate, but what do people like/not like about the one they have and would they recommend that model? Before I invest $$ in something, I want to know I'm getting the most bang for my buck!

Any info appreciated!
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'd go with HRM. It does actually monitor your heart rate, takes in your statistics etc. A chart is more of a guideline. I love my HRM :)
  • calixt0
    Options
    the most accurate measurement is the bodybugg which has significantly come down in price (144 right now thru 24 hour fitness), however if you cant afford that then I recommend a high quality hrm with a chest strap.
    my problem with the bodybugg is the monthly subscription to make it work.
  • calixt0
    Options
    I've also wondered about these http://www.bodytronics.com/p/strapless_heart_rate_monitors/EPULSE2... seems alot like the bodybugg but without the subscription.
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have a polar F4 and it works great. I tried it out on a trail basis and when i worked out and compared it to MFP it literally was a difference of 4 cals. So you may say, why not just use MFP then right? Well sometimes i do things that arent in the database. Like if i cant get to the gym i do a video. MFP cant get close enough to a video because it has to do with each individual intensity. Its a crap shoot but now i use the HRM pretty much all the time. Its more fit for me.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I invested in the polar ft4. Its worth it, I couldn't believe the difference in calories burn that mfp gave me before and I dont burn as many as I thought. Mine has the chest strap which gives most accurate.
  • adhillman01
    Options
    I've also wondered about these http://www.bodytronics.com/p/strapless_heart_rate_monitors/EPULSE2... seems alot like the bodybugg but without the subscription.

The Epulse2 isn't exactly like the Bodybugg. The Bodybugg also looks at your temperature and how much you sweat giving you a better, all day indicator of your calorie expenditure. The Epulse won't give you at rest type of calorie burn like the Bodybugg. I'm not sure how much better the Epulse would be vs. a typical HRM though. Anyone know?
  • calixt0
    Options

The Epulse2 isn't exactly like the Bodybugg. The Bodybugg also looks at your temperature and how much you sweat giving you a better, all day indicator of your calorie expenditure. The Epulse won't give you at rest type of calorie burn like the Bodybugg. I'm not sure how much better the Epulse would be vs. a typical HRM though. Anyone know?

what appeals to me with the epulse is that it doesn't need and chest strap.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I love it. I waited until I felt I really needed it. I was doing a lot of cardo machines and the calories burned was really close to what I get with my HRM. Now that I do JM dvd's at home when I can't make it to the gym, I had to have a better way to track my calories. I also like to do a circuit at the gym and having a HRM is a big help. I always try to keep my heart rate on target when lifting weights or running. I don't mind the chest strap as much as I though I would. You kinda forget its there.

You'll love it.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    best bet is to get a HRM.
    +1