I just don't want to

Options
I started the 30 day shred the day before yesterday. After that my knees started acting up. they were giving me trouble before I started drinking more water and eating healthy. but as soon as i started drinking water/eating healthy and working out they felt better.

so why are they acting up again? i did the shred 2x yesterday and my knees are killing me today. not when i walk, or anything. but if i have them bent for more then a few minutes, when I stand up/sit down...and especially when I get up out of the floor!

I dont even want to do the shred today. I mean i do, because i know i need to. but on the other hand i dont because it seems like its only aggravating my knees more and more!

BTW they arent hurting or giving me trouble when i do the shred. its just when they are bent a lot. small bends dont bother them

Replies

• elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You might need to go easy on the exercising, ease yourself into it a little better. Try doing it every other day (and definitely not twice in one day) for a few weeks. And if it hurts bad, definitely stop and find a lower impact exercise (e.g. just plain old walking, or biking, or elliptical machine, or swimming). You may not burn as many calories, but you won't be burning many calories at all if you permanently screw up your knees.
  • dthompson17
    Options
    oh no...makes me really scared. I ordered it yesterday and I am waiting on it in the mail. I ordered it because everyone was posting how great it is. Most posts that I read though are saying that they di have to skip a day here and there because it makes them sore. I am a little nervous about it and scared at the same time. Props to you though for doing it two times in the same day. That must have been a great workout. Good Luck!
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    You're not supposed to do it twice in one day. You're over-killing. I have knee and other issues sometimes, and if you don't listen to it and slow down (and maybe modify some of the exercises) your body will find a way to make you listen.

I hear she does lunges. These are definite knee-killers for me. Even if my form is awesome. Squats are also a major culprit and should be modified.
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    oh no...makes me really scared. I ordered it yesterday and I am waiting on it in the mail. I ordered it because everyone was posting how great it is. Most posts that I read though are saying that they di have to skip a day here and there because it makes them sore. I am a little nervous about it and scared at the same time. Props to you though for doing it two times in the same day. That must have been a great workout. Good Luck!
    no dont be scared! its a great work out! i really like it!
    im thinking that its just messing with me because i already had problems with them in the past. (though i dont know why. i dont have any injuries or anything). i think the squats/lunges is what is aggravating it. because those are the only things i havent been doing recently.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I had to stop after day 15. My knees and hips were absolutely killing me and the pain was not going away. I had been doing Zumba for almost 6 months before trying 30 DS, so it wasn't because I was way out of shape. I just don't think it is for people with joint problems. She can say as many times as she wants "there's no modification for jumping jacks", but it is not worth the pain in my book.

Back to Zumba I went. Knees are happy! :smile:
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I had to go easy and compromise on the jumping jacks and jump roping....just can't do it yet....don't force your knees....they won't like it!
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    Let me tell you a story. Sixty five pounds ago and out of shape, I decided to lose weight. So I thought: I'll take up running. So I opened my closet, put on some old tennis shoes, and went running. On the concrete sidewalk. After 3 days or 4 days, my knees hurt. But I kept going. I wanted to lose weight! After about 7 days, my knees really hurt. I stopped running. I tried the bicycle, but I had really hurt my knees, and they now creaked. Even walking on an incline hurt my knees. It took MONTHS for my knees to feel better.

Moral? I was so gung-ho, I ignored what my body was telling me. Which was that something was amiss. Either I was running with bad form, was running with bad shoes, or was too heavy to go pounding away on concrete...something wasn't right. I paid the price for ignoring the pain.

Its fine for your muscles to hurt. But if your *knees* are hurting, something isn't right. STOP. Either you are doing something with bad form, or your muscles aren't strong enough to support your ligaments or joints. Or maybe, you shouldn't do the DVD twice in a day. But something is amiss, and you need to figure it out. Perhaps skip some of the knee heavy exercises. Or try doing it every other day and see if it helps. But don't keep doing the same thing that's causing you knee pain!
  • drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is very rough on your knees and other joints, mine were pretty sore all through level one, then stopped hurting in level two, then it was just my wrists and elbows.

I've heard of people altering the moves to put less stress on their joints, might be a good idea if they were sore before.

good luck
  • biellas
    Options
    Elid is right. The best thing to do is ease yourself into it. I tried running a while back and ended up hurting my knees so then I had to stop for a while. Since then I've switched to working out on the elliptical and I love it! No pain in the knees. Good luck with it!
  • Reykur
    Reykur Posts: 18
    Options
    One thing I've noticed is that if I start hurting my knees, I take a couple gelatin pills and 2 to 4 calciums and don't do any more than they can handle, it only takes a few days to help.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I recommend a day off with yoga, like her Yoga Meltdown DVD.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you a story. Sixty five pounds ago and out of shape, I decided to lose weight. So I thought: I'll take up running. So I opened my closet, put on some old tennis shoes, and went running. On the concrete sidewalk. After 3 days or 4 days, my knees hurt. But I kept going. I wanted to lose weight! After about 7 days, my knees really hurt. I stopped running. I tried the bicycle, but I had really hurt my knees, and they now creaked. Even walking on an incline hurt my knees. It took MONTHS for my knees to feel better.

Moral? I was so gung-ho, I ignored what my body was telling me. Which was that something was amiss. Either I was running with bad form, was running with bad shoes, or was too heavy to go pounding away on concrete...something wasn't right. I paid the price for ignoring the pain.

Its fine for your muscles to hurt. But if your *knees* are hurting, something isn't right. STOP. Either you are doing something with bad form, or your muscles aren't strong enough to support your ligaments or joints. Or maybe, you shouldn't do the DVD twice in a day. But something is amiss, and you need to figure it out. Perhaps skip some of the knee heavy exercises. Or try doing it every other day and see if it helps. But don't keep doing the same thing that's causing you knee pain!

I agree. I think you should work on strength training the muscles and ligaments around your knees so they can better support you during strenuous workouts. Also you need to learn how to stretch out your knees. Stand up and been at the knees with your legs close together. Roll your knees to the left multiple times and then do the same to the right.
  • adellepuppy
    Options
    What's happening may just be from what your level of activity was leading up to doing this workout. If you haven't been fairly active, that kind of workout could really hurt you. Also, are you stretching and warming up adequately before you start? I recommend backing off and giving yourself some healing time. Try Glucosamine to lubricate your joints. You can also do some leg exercises or even running in a pool, where your body weight is neutralized, but the water adds resistance. Let yourself heal and build up to this workout. I seriously admire you for taking it on at all.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    The hurting in the small bends of the knees is due to swelling in the area of knee due to increased irritation. The double workouts a day is not good at all on the joints. 30DS is a tough workout on the joints. If you want to continue this one, then modify the knee bends and side lunges to where there is less stress being put on the knees. Jumping jacks bascially due the hand movements and jog in a slow pace instead of the jumping. Give your knees a break, if you keep with the stress on them your going to start really feeling pain at each movement. Your body is telling you something, listen to it or you will pay big in the end...