Worried about possibility of excess skin after weight loss..

Options
HI! Thanks for reading! Ok I am currently at 183lbs.... I want to be at 145lbs...I'm 30... I have had a child and so of course my tummy is the issue here.... I am worried about having excess skin on my tummy.... any hints or secrets to making sure my skin tones up at the same time?

Replies

• scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and I'm down to 144 now from at least 185 (not really sure how heavy I was, but after I lost some weight, I weighed myself and I was 170, so I'm sure I was over the 180 mark. My skin is perfectly fine and only people who know me would know that I've lost the weight.

The secret is slow, steady weightloss. Skin is a remarkable thing, but if you lose too much too fast, it can't keep up. Stay within the 1-2 lbs a week, and you'll be fine!

Good luck!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    lose weight slowly
    exfoliate
    moisturize
    drink plenty of water

your skin loses its elasticity as you age so saggy skin may be inevitable. I'm starting to see how my gut is sagging but what can I do? Happy to have loose skin rather than fat skin :blushing:
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize and give it time. A lot of it depends on age, genetics and how long you have been carrying the excess weight. There is no hope for my tummy, but I'm older. Spanx work wonders though :-)
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I was reading an article about this very issue yesterday. It seems that the "Extra skin" the we all worry about is really excess fat. Think about how thin skin really is and you will understand that a little better. The key is to make sure that as your target weight gets closer you begin to focus your diet a little more and start to incorporate weight training to build back the muscle lost during dieting.

It's a little more involved than that, but this is a general idea.
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have lost 34 lbs and can already see the skin saggy in my stomach. I've already had a 1/2 tummy tuck because my twin boys were so big...8 lbs and 7.9 lbs. I might have to go back in for another one when I'm all finished. I'm older ...44 yrs. It does matter what age you are and the elasticity of your skin.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, if you drink tons of water, moisturize & lose weight slowly (1-2 lbs/wk) you should be perfectly fine. Adding extra vitamin E and or biotin to your diet may also help, but not positive. Like the above poster said, skin is very very thin and is a remarkable thing - it will adapt as long as you support it with the right nutrients and water. Age may have an effect but if you are supporting your skin with what it needs, I think you will be just fine ;)