Silly question: what you do with your clothes?

Options
Ok, so I havent lost all my weight yet, but I had no idea that 12 lbs would affect my closet! Some of my work clothes are really baggy and loose. Thise are new clothes I bought before school year started. I really dont want to spend money buying more clothes b/c I have a long way to go...

Replies

• tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Can you get them altered/ tailored?
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Safety pins are your friends. I wear skirts so I don't have too much of an issue with the bagginess, but I have found that I need to use safety pins to tighten up the waist on them.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    get a good belt for ur pants and maybe pull out the sewing machine...otherwise take them to goodwill and while ur there pick up some others to keep u going through the middle patches...

i know how u feel but i just keep tightening my belt and enjoy the looseness lol!
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Sellem on ebay!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Donate them to a church. Go to Ross on Thursday new arrivals plus they mark down prices for clearance on Thursday. Spend twenty dollars a week and feel good about everything you do!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Yesterday the hubby (who lost 75 lbs) and I purged our closets. 3 HUGE garbage bags FULL of clothes that we donated.

Now that I'm out of plus sized clothing stores and I can shop anywhere I hit lots of sales. I won't buy anything over $20 since chances are, I won't be wearing it long term. Second hand clothing stores are lots of work but if you're willing to put in the time its totally worth it (especially for jeans).

Sadly, most of the time I suffer from diaper butt. My clothes are constantly loose and saggy. Nothing fits me well for long and I guess that's how its going to be until I get my last 50lbs off.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Safety pins are your friends.

so true. :bigsmile:
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP friends made a blog about how to alter your pants. You basically cut a "V" shaped notch from the top of your pants and sew the fabric back together. No one can see the seam at the top of your pants!
  • teacher4380
    Options
    Once you get to a point of needing to get rid of them, please consider sending them to a women's shelter or other second-hand clothing store. These establishments rarely get plus-size or larger sizes donated, yet the need is there! I meet with a support group monthly and once or twice a year we do a clothing swap...we bring what we have in our old sizes ranging in sizes 6-32 , then we take what we want from our new sizes, then the rest gets donated and there is always a ton of stuff!!! It makes you have such a good feeling to pay it forward to someone in need!!! Plus, if you don't keep around the larger sizes...it helps you to stay in the smaller size, since you can't just go to your closet & wear something "more comfortable" in a larger size that day! Good luck with your clothing challenge!!!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Donate them to a church. Go to Ross on Thursday new arrivals plus they mark down prices for clearance on Thursday. Spend twenty dollars a week and feel good about everything you do!

Maybe the church will let you shop in the smaller size department, even trade?
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Mine have all gone to the goodwill
  • takingbackalison
    Options
    Till they get to be WAY too big, you could try drying them in the dryer a lot haha, my pants fit tighter after being dryed that way
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I still have pants from when I was 280 lbs 6 years ago (now 210). The really loose ones I'll wear a belt, other wise it's nice just wearing baggy jeans.
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Once you get to a point of needing to get rid of them, please consider sending them to a women's shelter or other second-hand clothing store. These establishments rarely get plus-size or larger sizes donated, yet the need is there! I meet with a support group monthly and once or twice a year we do a clothing swap...we bring what we have in our old sizes ranging in sizes 6-32 , then we take what we want from our new sizes, then the rest gets donated and there is always a ton of stuff!!! It makes you have such a good feeling to pay it forward to someone in need!!! Plus, if you don't keep around the larger sizes...it helps you to stay in the smaller size, since you can't just go to your closet & wear something "more comfortable" in a larger size that day! Good luck with your clothing challenge!!!

Absolutely!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I donated mine. I buy only two pairs of pants in a size and try to get them at goodwill if I can. Otherwise old navy for jeans and kohls sales for a dress pair.

Tops I wear til they are REALLY big. I'm purging a bunch of things right now actually.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There are clothing donation bins set up in the parking lots of most grocery stores these days. Another option is to join the Freecycle group in your area. It's a nationwide free recycling organization for those of us that have stuff to give away.... or are in need of things. A couple of years ago, I gave away a nice leather coat. In addition, I've taken a bag of clothes (that I never was able to fit into -- but I will soon). Also was able to get a nice set of free weights from someone that didn't want to move them cross country.
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    LOL... When I lost my 30 lbs 4 years ago, I went from a very tight size 12 to a size 6. I SWORE I was not going to buy new clothes for work until I lost the weight. I just kept adding a notch in my belt and wore them. They were SOOOOOO baggy it wasn't even funny! I work in a receiving warehouse, so didn't exactly care that they looked huge on me...LOL. The day I hit below my goal weight I bought a new work pants... the next day I came to work wearing my size 6 jeans and everyone was Floored at just how much weight I had lost as it was hidden for months under those baggy clothes...LOL

A couple options for you though... you could always post on Freecyle looking for clothes that will work for you...and in return offer your's you can no longer wear to someone else who may need them.. Or try good will. This is a GREAT time of year to hit the department stores also as winter clothes are all going really cheap now. I bought a pair of Jeans last night for $8.00... Knowing you are not going to wear them long, I wouldn't really spend a lot. Just get you enough to get you through to the next 15-20 lbs or whenever you feel you need to adjust again.

Keep up the great job!
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    There are clothing donation bins set up in the parking lots of most grocery stores these days. Another option is to join the Freecycle group in your area. It's a nationwide free recycling organization for those of us that have stuff to give away.... or are in need of things. A couple of years ago, I gave away a nice leather coat. In addition, I've taken a bag of clothes (that I never was able to fit into -- but I will soon). Also was able to get a nice set of free weights from someone that didn't want to move them cross country.
    I was going to say Freecycle too! I just gave away a large garbage bag of all my spring/summer clothes that I don't fit into anymore. The woman who took them was glad to have them!!
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Oh boy!!! Love all the ideas! I definatelly need to find a Ross! I am big on sales! I am not a plus size, but I do have pants 14 and few 16. I am horrible with a sewing machine, I cannot even put a button on, no kidding, I have horrible fine motor skills! But I can definately use safe pins! I will need a belt. I completely forgot about goodwill and savers, thank you!
    I am very excited to have saggy clothes but I have some sweathers I got and they are so nice from Gap and NY&company, I am a little sad i wont keep them around, at least they look better on me than my shirts. I have been washing everything and drying them like crazy.... things I was scared to do before... lol!! Also a lot of summer clothes that I got this past summer... I did not have nice clothes to go to work until I started my student teaching and I got some.
    Thank you!!!
    I may ask my mother in law to alter some, she takes forever tough... cant count on her...
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Donate them as soon as they are too big...forces you to maintain!! I hear Goodwill is very well organized these days, and that you can find some crazy good deals there...especially in my area. Alterations aren't cheap, and may run you more than you originally paid for the item. I had some nicer stuff that I sold on Craig's List. I also sent too big clothes to some friends on another diet web site that I was using prior to moving to MFP: I did ask for a bit of $$ from one person because I sent her a ridiculously expensive suit. Everyone else, I just asked to send me postage...and they did.

Clearance racks were, and still are, my friend! There for awhile I was dropping a size every 10# and went from an 18W to a 10-12. Mostly in 12's these days though:-( Anyway, I am a mad shopper and find great deals @ Ann Taylor brand stores. Also not afraid to go through the racks @ Ross and Marshalls.

Tailored pants and fitted shirts are first to show the weight loss: I still buy them, but don't spend a lot on them. I don't mind spending a bit more though on jackets, sweaters, and some looser fit shirts (think mostly summer type loose blouses) since I get a bit more wear out of them. You can never go wrong with shoes, purses, or jewelry though!!