planters fasciitis help

Options
Hello Friends,

I think that i might have a mild case of Planters Fascitis, and it is really starting to affect my exersice routine! Since this time last year I have lost 38 pounds total and as of 2 months ago I was exercising really hard 5 days a week. (Cardio 3 days, weights 2 days). I started noticing on my cario days when I did the couch to 5k Program that my heels would be really sensitive. Upon getting out of bed the next morning, i have actually fallen over because everything in my feet are really tight, and my heels hurt so bad I can hardly put weight on them. It gets better, after I have stretched them out and walk on them for a bit....
I always try to stretch well before and after running, but maybe I need some other stretches to do.

I know I need to invest in some better shoes, especially for running. ..

has anyone else gone through this? What helped you feel better?

Replies

90066 Posts: 24
    Options
    Google search barefoot running and all the reasons why this is better.
    I had the same thing and it went away when I lost weight, quit drinking coffee, and stopped running in running shoes.
  • onebucfan808
    Options
    The things I had to do to subdue the pain at first were point my toes to the ceiling and then to the wall over and over. I also used a tennis ball and rolled it under my feet throughout the day. The thing that worked best are shoe inserts with hard arch supports. I used the Dr. Scholl's gel with the hard arch support. Another thing is rest the feet. Try to do some workouts that don't include your feet too much until the pain subsides. I have not had an issue with my feet in more than two years, but it was VERY painful for a couple of years prior to that. Hope it gets better!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My mother has it ... the physical therapist recommended hamstring stretches. Stand on a step on your toes and drop your heels down to stretch. She also had a plastic "rocker" that she stood in to rock back and stretch the hamstring. Just be sure to check with your doctor to make sure that is really the problem.
  • Gracie1434
    Gracie1434 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I absolutely have gone through this. I have hardly any trouble now. I bought really good shoes and Aetrex orthopedic inserts. Go to a good shoe store and tell them what's going on. They will fix you up but expect to spend $150 to $175. It was worth every penney.
    Gracie 1434
  • emily410
    Options
    I have also heard from a physical therapist to freeze a water bottle and then roll it under your foot. The ice is supposed to work wonders.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of stretches you can do to loosen it up. I have 2 friend with confirmed cases and I had a recent experience with it..... Mine only lasted a day but the more I walked the better it felt...even thought it hurt like hell lol. They say to soak it in ice water and take advil or somethin' anti-inflammatory. One of my friend that had it so severe said to take a styrofoam cup, fill it with water and freeze it, once its frozen peel the styrofoam off and roll your foot back and forth over it so you are icing it and exercising it. Hope some of that helps a little.
  • JeanK56
    Options
    I had this and was not into exercising at the time. Stretch your foot by flexing foot point toes both away and towards you before getting up. Sometimes the pain will happen after driving, try to flex then as well.

Ice the bottom of your foot by rolling on a frozen water bottle, or ice after rolling heel and arch along a golf ball, lacrosse ball, can of soup.

Orthotics are sometimes needed, which I did and then I eventually got a cortisone shot, which was quite painful, but within weeks the pain of plantar fasciitis was gone and has not returned in years.

Good luck with this, it can be quite painful at times. Supportive shoes are a must...I wear Dansko closed back clogs.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    :grumble: Oh that hurts! I had what I think was PF, but it went away after I started stretching w/o shoes on before leaving the house for a jog. Mine might have been related to an achilles issues as well, but I did those heel dips barefoot, while standing on a chair, two feet...then one at a time...

You might check out this Runner's World article on the 'The Big 7 Body Breakdowns' at
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--13841-4-1X2X3X4X5X6X7-8,00.html

Though I do think that the socks that keep your foot flexed while you sleep (featured at the end of the article) seem uncomfortable!

Good luck!
  • Cudders
    Options
    I've now had plantar fasciitis for about 7 months. It has improved and now I'm able to run small runs, about 5-7km. My custom made orthotics have been a saviour, I do have flat feet and I overpronate. Give the foot some rest, stretch the bottom of the foot by planting the ball of the foot on the ground and then bring the knee forward until you feel stretching on the bottom of the foot, could be until you bring your knee to the ground. Also rolling your foot on a tennis ball may help. Lots of plantar and achilles problems tend to stem from a tight achilles, overpronation and landing with tension when running. Try to land relaxed and flat footed when running when able to do it again. I recommend seeing a physio for more advice.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I had that problem years ago, and went to many doctors seeking relief. No help there. My sister taught me an exercise that worked wonders for pain relief. Put your hands (palms) against a wall, shoulder- with apart, and plant one of your feet flat on the ground just slightly behind your shoulders. Then put your other foot directly in front of that foot, flat on the ground, heel just touching the toe of the already planted foot. Then, keeping your legs straight, push your body (shoulders) into the wall and you will (hopefully) immediately feel relief in your foot, and the streching muscle in the back of your calves. This did wonders for me as far as pain relief. I did those streches many times a day til the pain went away.
    I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but I also bought a pair of Sketchers sneakers at that time because of all the comfy padding in the heel of the shoe, and I also put an arch support in my shoes. After switching to Sketchers, I have never had any more problems with planters fasciitis. I'm not a runner, but I did walk a lot. I sure do hope you can find some relief.
  • jayney25
    jayney25 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had that and it was very painful in the arch of my foot. I put up with it for about a year (as you do! . I had one steroid injection and it disappeared. It took a few days to totally disappear but it hasn't come back thank goodness. I think it was related to being heavier while pregnant and the ligaments in my foot stretching and becoming painful. Hopefully you'll find something that works for you. Good luck
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Insoles that support are a must, Scholl shop or similar will help you.

NEVER walk without anything on your feet (bare feet absolutely makes it worse). Have a pair of sandals or something near the bed so that even when you get up out of bed (the worst time for pain as your ankle has been rested), you have immediate support rather than going onto flat surface.

If necessary you can actually buy a temporary slint to wear in bed to ensure the ankle doesn't 'flop' and worsen the problem. Do your stretches as another above has indicated.

Wear shoes etc with no less than two cm heel. Ballet pumps etc and flatties the worst thing to wear.

I had for 2 years and several injections later is much better but occasionally know my foots not happy so I still take care.

I tried absolutely everything and the best thing for me was the insoles which completely supported and cusioned the heel.

Ensure the problem is PF though, not something else.

Good luck!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing and it went away when I lost weight, quit drinking coffee, and stopped running in running shoes.

It's nice that you're such a barefoot running fan... I do some runs in Vibrams myself but.....

IF this lady does have PF then your advice could not be worse!!!!!!!

For you barefoot running may be equivalent to having an epiphany, but that doesn't mean it's suitable for everybody.

http://running.competitor.com/2010/05/features/the-barefoot-running-injury-epidemic_10118

Some people love it and I am one of them, but it's not for everybody.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    The thing that has helped me with my plantar fasciitis is working out barefoot and to also stretch my feet very good before exercising and before bed. I like to roll my foot over a tennis ball or another smaller firm ball for about 8-10min per foot. I also will stand on a step with just my toes as far out as I can and do calf dips to stretch out the soles of my feet. That and a lot of foot massages from the DH has helped a lot
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You can find lots of self help exercises as well as reasonably priced orthotics at heel-that-pain.com
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

It's nice that you're such a barefoot running fan... I do some runs in Vibrams myself but.....

IF this lady does have PF then your advice could not be worse!!!!!!!

For you barefoot running may be equivalent to having an epiphany, but that doesn't mean it's suitable for everybody.

http://running.competitor.com/2010/05/features/the-barefoot-running-injury-epidemic_10118

Some people love it and I am one of them, but it's not for everybody.

Thank you! Running barefoot is not necessarily the best thing for everybody. The proper shoes may be the best thing for you. Stretch, stretch and more stretching. Take some ibuprofen if it's really bad, massage it with the frozen water bottle or a tennis ball, they make socks or boots that you wear at night to stretch you all night. Insoles are so important.
  • caroline1851
    Options
    I've been battling this and then another heel injury for 8 months. What helped with the PF was to get this boot think to sleep in that keeps the PF stretched out and also Cortizone shots. Make an appt. with a podiatrist. I'm going to look into the whole barefoot running thing...a lot of people swear by that.
  • muffintop15
    Options
    Ditto to what everyone else has said. Yes, supports work, doing stretches, rolling on a frozen water bottle or tennis ball all help. I've found that a natural supplement called Hyaluronic Acid also helps. It's cut my pain in half really. You can find it at local nutrition stores. I get a 60 day supply for about $25. I'm able to walk 180 minutes a week now and can manage the pain.

Best of luck to you!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    in talking to my husband's physical therapist, l-arginine may help.
    he said that a study he read that there is barely any blood flow to the area and that is part of the problem.
    where l-arginine is used for vascular dilation, it may help.
  • ezrida
    ezrida Posts: 36
    Options
    First of all get a professional diagnosis before you spend more time, money and effort.
    I am dealing with plantar fasciitis for more than a year now and I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it may not work for the other. There are many treatment techniques that you can try.
    Did you try Taping? I have found it very useful. Taping will keep your foot from getting injured again and will help you get through your daily routine. There are a few Taping techniques you can use.
    I also found a very informative website with more good ideas in:
    http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_taping.html
    Take care & Good luck