cosmetologists!

Options
i tried to find a thread but no luck. was just curious how many of you do hair for a living. i just got licensed in December!

Replies

• cazaer3
    cazaer3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am licensed. I just don't do it for a living. I still "dabble" in it. Congrats on your license.
  • mdaniella
    mdaniella Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I went to school for it.. I am about 1/2 done. Going to go back to finish soon. :) I love it.
  • TraceB
    TraceB Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do it for a living.
  • snerk
    snerk Posts: 51
    Options
    I am one too! I've been doing hair for about 10 years. I have my own little salon at home, only doing it part time now, since I have a little man at home!
  • TraceB
    Options
    Me too. I am doing it at home part time for 10 years. Isn't it great! Make your own hours. I am home wwhen my kids get home. Now they are old enough that when they are sick I don't have to cancel work. It just works very well for me. I did work in a salon for 7 years prior and I am greatful for that too. You can learn a lot from watching others do hair too. I would suggest that for a newbie.
  • metajess
    Options
    for those doing it at home: ive been thinking of investing in a chair since they are on the inexpensive side, but what about sinks? do you even do color services or just haircuts?
  • snerk
    snerk Posts: 51
    Options
    Yes I do have a sink as well. I have a space in my basement thats set up as a full service salon. I mostly do color services with cuts. The only thing I dont do is perms...one of the perks of being your own boss!
  • TraceB
    Options
    I have a shop set up on my enclosed front porch. I would get a sink too. I do it all. It is like a shop just at home.I say if you want to make a career of it then get it all. People won't take you serious if you don't take it serious. I got my equipment from a salon that was remodeling. Look in the beauty supply stores to see if they have a bulletin board where people put up ads or ask them. They might know where you can get used equipment.

I do suggest though to work in a salon too for awhile. There is still so much to learn when you first come out of school. I worked in a place where they made you do their own training and I hated it at first but I am so thankful today. Plus the more heads you do the better you get and lots of people might be hard to get on your own at first.
  • metajess
    Options
    im looking into salons that offer extra training right now. continued education is a HUGE priority for me. i wouldn't mind paying for the classes but to do that i need a job so i can have money to pay for them. do you ladies have built in full-plumbing sinks or portable ones? i cant afford to put in new plumbing for one but the portable ones look so cheap and just not very professional.
  • TraceB
    Options
    I have full plumbing. I have not seen the portable ones. I can't imagine they would work that good.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I am a hairdresser - 15 years in the biz. I've had a home salon for the last 7 years and it was very nice when my kids were much smaller, but now I am looking into going back into the public arena and shopping around for a salon to work in. I found that I got a little stale working at home, and my skills slid a little bit. I missed being around other stylists and all the socializing that goes on in a salon. (i don't miss the drama - I am looking for a low-drama salon! LOL) In my salon, I had an all in one station that had a sink/station and chair - my clients loved walking in and sitting in one chair to have their washed, cut, colored, whatever. No moving from chair to chair. Nice meeting you all!
  • TraceB
    Options
    I know what you mean about getting stale. It is hard to stay motivated when you don't have the inspriration around you. That is the only thing I miss from a salon. Definitely don't miss the drama.