Anti-depressants

Options
I've been on anti-depressants now for about four months. Going to the gym has really helped stabilized my mood, but on really crappy days I still find myself turning to food or just feeling unwilling to get out of bed and go to the gym. Is anyone else dealing with problems like this? What do you do? I know I should just get up and go to the gym anyways, but honest-to-God somedays it's just not that easy.

Replies

• Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I've been on anti depressants (several different ones, oh my, it's so much fun) and I've been clinically depressed. Just so you know- I've been there.
    What I'd suggest is that you go back to your psychiatrist and either change your meds, change the dosage, or make cognitive efforts to make yourself accountable to getting your physical activity. Of course, we all already know, keeping your body fit and working out helps alleviate depression. Doesn't cure it, but it can help out.
    P.S.
    Take some omega 3 pills- they found out a few years ago it also helps prevent against depression.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above suggestion. I have had my ups and downs and only last week have I found a combination that so far seems to work for me. So far anyway.
  • MissWendyBird
    MissWendyBird Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've found that when combined, anti-depressants and exercise really help me. But I go through the same thing. Sometimes I just want to lay in front of the tv and not do anything. I deal with this by giving myself the weekend to relax and the incentive to exercise again.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Get more Vitamin B! You can double up on it, it wont hurt you. Some ppl have even been prescribed 10,000 mg a day. Take 2 a day and see if it helps ya.
  • moriah5
    Options
    I have been on Anti-depressants for years. I just don't want to function without them (and believe me I have tried). It took several different tries with my doctor's help to find the right one, but for me it was worth it. Of course I am hoping healthy lifestyle changes will help me to function better without an anti-depressants in the future. What I realized though is that I am not going to get to that place without taking one. I also find that accountability is a key for me to stick with a healthy diet and exercise plan. Hope that helps.
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts, but I started taking 5-HTP and it's helped my borderline depression, panic attacks, and I haven't been bingeing as much as I was. It's some sort of seratonin replacement herb. If you google it, you would get a better description than I can give.
    My mom went to an all-natural doctor after kemo sucked and again during menopause. OMG don't tell her I told about that last one. Anyway, he used to give it to her, so she recommended it to me. I even went and bought like 6 months worth in a time release form. My whole family likes me better I think. I was really starting to willingly walk off the edge of the cliff at the deep end. It's only been like 3 weeks though, so hopefully it continues to give me these effects. Seriously, no crying fits either since about 3 days after starting on them.
    Try to stay positive and remember that tomorrow doesn't have to be anything like today~
  • Kellybegone
    Options
    I too battle w/ depression and anxiety/panic attacks. Do take meds...I've been on 4 kids and hopefully this new round works. Seems to so far. I too still find myself wanting to stay i bed and hide. But I know I do feel better when I force myself even to do some light exercising! Hugs to you! Keep going....push yourself! It does help!:flowerforyou:
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all the suggestions and support! The anti-depressants that I'm on are working wonderfully for me, and it's because of them that I can focus on making a healthier me. I guess what gets me are the days that I'm not doing well on my calorie count and I don't get to the gym and then everything just seems to be going downhill. I'm also a stress-eater, so when I start feeling bad (about roommates, about classes, etc) I turn to food and just go go go. It's just frustrating, I guess.