A steak Salad is THAT bad?

Moop87
Moop87 Posts: 71 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
Tonight my hubby and I went to Damons. Upon seeing that they don't make my favorite grilled chicken salad I opted for a bbq steak salad.

* BBQ Steak Salad

* Crisp lettuce, chopped bacon, bleu cheese, tomatoes and deep-fried potatoes, topped with a flame-grilled USDA choice sirloin steak brushed with our original BBQ sauce, garnished with crispy onion straws.

I told them to hold the onion straws and the blue cheese and used very minimal dressing (about a tablespoon of ranch). I know I should have said no to the bacon and potatoes but I didn't think they would add that much.

I could not find nutritional information so I worked with an old listing for a similar item and was surprised to see it listed at 1075 calories.

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/damons/flame-grilled-steak-salad/

Really? That many calories in a steak salad? My salad had lettuce, bbq steak, tomatoes, potatoes, and bacon. What do you think?

Replies

• rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    with the fried potatoes and bacon I bet that's right!
  • Oh ya! It more then likely had a high number of calories. I found by looking around at different resturants the salads are usually the highest in calories. Its crazy. A grilled chicken sandwhich (no cheese or mayo) or a veggie burger are more then likely less calories.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    In the whole 5-1/2 months I have been on this program, I have yet to, and refuse to order a salad of any nature when I go out to eat, and I eat out once or twice a week!!! They are loaded with calories- which is so sad.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Well think of the portion size....plus they have deep fried potatoes and they use a buttload of butter to grill the steak in. Bacon has like 125 or so calories per slice....and the dressing always has tons of calories....so yes id say that sounds about right
  • Yes it was THAT bad..
    You probably would have been fine if you kicked out the bacon, potatoes, BBQ sauce..and left the bleu cheese and used lemon juice for example.
  • Doesn't surprise me either! The potatoes and bacon added quite a bit I'm sure but don't overlook the steak itself either. Usually in restaurants like that it's not the leanest cut of meat plus it's cooked with oil and/or butter which adds even more calories.
  • ToddFo
    ToddFo Posts: 33 Member
    I looked at a top 20 worst list not long ago. Didn't keep the link, but it's amazing how many restaurants put a salad on the menu that is over 1000 calories. You might as well order a steak than most of the salads at the big chains. Be careful out there.
  • Salads are still so high in calories and bad for you because the food industry is in it to keep ppl overweight and wanting more food. You pretty much have to ask for a plate of lettuce w/ slices of lemon to squeeze on as dressing. LOL
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    I'm usually less worried about the calories than the sodium, and yes - those restaurant salads usually have sodium by the payload (as do most items on their menu). A steak salad at home won't be that bad, but when you eat it out, you might be lucky it was as good as it was.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I'm not surprised. Look at everything in it! A salad is only going to be low cal if it's only vegetables with a little meat. I make salads at home that are 300-400 calories and that's with avocado, cheese, a little dressing, steak or chicken plus the regular veggies.
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Yeah, I was shocked to find out last week that my steak wedge salad at Houlihan's was a whopping 1,000 calories without dressing and nearly 1,400 with!

Who knew that...
    - a wedge of iceberg lettuce
    - 6 oz prime rib steak
    - 1 oz blue cheese
    - 2 squares of polenta
    - 6 cherry tomatoes
    - 3 spears of asparagus
    - 2 oz of dressing
    ... was so many calories!!!

I'm finding that making things at home cuts out a LOT of calories!!!
  • When I saw how many calories the salads at Applebee's have I was taken aback. Thank goodness they have the under 500 calorie menu but watch the sodium content in those meals. If I know I am going out to dinner, I always try to see if there is a menu and nutritional guide online and plan what I'm going to eat ahead of time. Don't let this get you down too much. Just learn from it and move on.
  • Moop87
    Moop87 Posts: 71 Member
    This is sad. Even when I make my own salad it adds up. I usually go to the supermarket and make my own. I use lettuce, some peas, onions, beets, chick peas, mild banana pepper rings, a little feta cheese and one egg. It's still better than the salad at the restaurant, but it's still depressing. Heck, I may as well eat celery instead!
This discussion has been closed.