Strep throat infection (advice for what to eat please)

Options
Bad: intensely painful throat/swallowing (I also have an ear infection to go with it)
Good: losing weight due to not being able to eat (though i would rather be able to eat tbh)

I was just wondering if anyone knew any simple foods or home remedies to soothe a very sore throat. Maybe a liquid food that would fill you up, as lately i've still been getting hungry, but have had no way of satisfying it apart from ice-cream....

Replies

• Maddylovesfood
    Options
    I'm fighting off a nasty cold accompanied by very sore tonsils, so I understand how you feel. I just stick to soups, teas, and anything that is warm or hot to soothe the pain. Yogurt helps as well since its not harsh going down. I love making tea and adding lemon and honey. I hope this kind of helps. (:
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    What about meal replacement shakes? You could put them in the fridge to make them nice and cool Yogurt, jelly, soup? Go easy on yourself and try to up your cals for a few days. Your body needs extra calories to have the energy to fight your illnees, otherwise it will take you much longer to recover. Hope you both feel better very soon x
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, recovering from a week of being sick although it wasn't due to strep throat but still had a sore throat because of the cough. What I did was stick to broths and soft items that didn't require much chewing for the first couple of days. Also included some ice cream bars and or jello/pudding/yogurt. If you add heat, you want to add cold too.

From there just slowly move up in foods like oatmeal and eggs. As the days go by, your throat will go through a little more healing. Each day may be a little different and you can upgrade to the type of foods you can eat. I would stay away from foods that are brittle or require any amount of chewing till you're near the end of your recovery. Will cause more problems than it's worth.

Of course all these items are either going to be low in salt and fat. I was bad to the point that I couldn't even work out and spent all my time in bed. But I stayed true with the diet items as I recovered. I also was nowhere NEAR my calorie count. Was lucky if I made 1000 calories for a day but try. Also try sucking on Zinc lozenges, they help to reduce the amount of time that you are sick.

I've been sick for the last 6 days and as of last Thursday I lost 5 pounds in just the first 3 days. Haven't checked the scale yet to see where I am now that I'm recovered. But by all means, keep drinking water too!!! And some tea. Hope you feel better!
  • joonna
    joonna Posts: 12
    Options
    Ouch!!! I had mine last year and it hurts so much that I cried daily about it...

I had congee everyday, it soothes your throat and very filling. Congee is actually easy to make, Use chicken broth and add rice into it and cook until rice becomes a porridge. You can mash some carrots or zucchini in it if you want.

Good luck!
  • imogeneee
    Options
    I'm actually half asian, so my mum made congee immediately :)

At the moment, i'm having a blend of rockmelon, ice and milk and it's really good! (low cal too ;))