what is the most beneficial cardio workout?

Options
Hi there all!
wanting to step up my cardio and was wondering what can burn the most calories in a small space of time (i have 4 kids - 3 preschoolers so time is lacking can only spare 30mins - hour max at beginning or end of day. so far i have done 10k bikes, swimming and jogging (can only jog for about 15 mins b4 im knackered). any ideas want to really work on pushing myself and my fitness levels. Thanks Vanessa

Replies

• gegardner
    Options
    I like to alternate jogging/walking on my treadmill while swinging 3 pound weights. I find I really burn a lot of calories if I swing my arms as hard and fast as I can with my gait. I usually burn 400 cals in 35 min.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If you wsnt to do get a good cardio workout in not a lot of time, interval training is by far the best way to go. What you do is you fast walk/jog for two minutes, then you run fast for one, then fast walk/jog for two, and repeat. You can do the same thing on the bike, just with pedaling at a moderate speed, then a fast speed. Do this for 15-30 minutes. It will boost your metabolism for hours after you finish working out.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    The most beneficial cardio workout is the one you do consistently. The best way to burn the maximum amount of calories with said cardio workout is the amount of intensity you put into it. Obviously, the harder you can push yourself, the more calories you will burn. Introducing HIIT routines into any workout produces rapid results. And the more variety in the intensity, the more your body will not be used to "routine" and just start burning calories like crazy because it won't know what to expect.

Here's an article to help give you an idea of what entails incorporating High Intensity Interval Training into your workouts.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/331779-hiit-training-for-weight-loss/

The related articles alongside it can provide a wider range of options for you to decide. And then, there's always the search box up at the top. Make sure you hover over the magnifying glass to search "All."
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    If your looking for a dvd I highly recommend Jillian Michales 30 day shred, 27 mins in total and I burn moere than 300 calories doinglevel 1, and around 350+ for levels 2 and 3!
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I love the eliptical!! It takes a while to build up to going for a long time, but it burns alot of calories. I started about a month ago and could only go 15 minutes max. on it and I'm upto an hour now. I usually burn anywhere from 500-1000 calories in an hour, mostly depending on what calculator I use. I don't know what ones I can really trust.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    If its gym type stuff, I go for elliptical and treadmill. I cant run for too long either but im using interval training and increasing my time each week (this week it 6 min run, 2 min walk x 4) when I can run for a solid 30 mins then I'll build some Hiit and fartlek training in too. an hour of a mixture between these 2 machines gives me around 700 calories- I think thats pretty decent.
  • Elli0tt
    Options
    This guy is legit! =)
    The most beneficial cardio workout is the one you do consistently. The best way to burn the maximum amount of calories with said cardio workout is the amount of intensity you put into it. Obviously, the harder you can push yourself, the more calories you will burn. Introducing HIIT routines into any workout produces rapid results. And the more variety in the intensity, the more your body will not be used to "routine" and just start burning calories like crazy because it won't know what to expect.

Here's an article to help give you an idea of what entails incorporating High Intensity Interval Training into your workouts.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/331779-hiit-training-for-weight-loss/

The related articles alongside it can provide a wider range of options for you to decide. And then, there's always the search box up at the top. Make sure you hover over the magnifying glass to search "All."
  • mutleyreid
    Options
    If you wsnt to do get a good cardio workout in not a lot of time, interval training is by far the best way to go. What you do is you fast walk/jog for two minutes, then you run fast for one, then fast walk/jog for two, and repeat. You can do the same thing on the bike, just with pedaling at a moderate speed, then a fast speed. Do this for 15-30 minutes. It will boost your metabolism for hours after you finish working out.
    I'm gonna try the bike idea. Thanks
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Read this

http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/how-can-i-burn-the-most-calories-in-the-shortest-time-1698547.html

and this

http://www.examiner.com/adaptive-fitness-in-new-york/cardio-vs-weight-lifting-which-one-burns-the-most-calories-part-iii

My opinion is that circuit training with moderate weights burns the most in the least amount of time, not to mention builds endurance, strength and keeps the boredom at bay! I've been doing some form of circuit training (at the moment, Crossfit) for 5 years now and have kept my weight at 105-108 pounds and have been able to stay in shape for 30 minutes a day/4-5 times a week! More is not always better, its how you exert yourself! ;)
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    My highest calorie burn always comes from Kickboxing class at the Y I go to. Very intense. My HRM is usually 700-800 cal per 45min class (plus the lingering calories for hours afterwards). And it uses a lot of muscles I didnt know I had! Second most is spin class, which includes a lot of intervals like others have been saying. Good luck!
  • Carissa83
    Carissa83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The arc/trainer sometimes known as cybex burns around 1000 calories an hour and I find it much easier than running. If you aren't already going to a gym I suggest you find one with a good daycare. Community centers are usually the best way to go. My gym is only 40/month and I can stick both kids in the daycare for up to two hours at a time. I know its missed time with the kids but it gives me a break and it sets a good example for them (my gym usually does activities that get the kids moving too). Also, I think its better to miss a little time now, than a lot later! Plus you'll be a happier mommy the rest of the night.
  • 33nessy
    33nessy Posts: 104
    Options
    you guys are awesome thanks so much for all the advice definately gunna try the interval training!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    you guys are awesome thanks so much for all the advice definately gunna try the interval training!
    If you want a system (dvd) that has a lot of HIIT workouts, you might try Turbo Fire. I LOVE it! There are shorter strength training dvds with bands for it too.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one told you to get a kettlebell. You do strength and cardio int he same work out.
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one told you to get a kettlebell. You do strength and cardio int he same work out.

love my kettlebell work out! I do Kettlenetics! 40 minute program I use my HRM and I burn 680
  • 33nessy
    33nessy Posts: 104
    Options
    ok wot on earth is a kettle bell?
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    ok wot on earth is a kettle bell?

here is a link for the ones that I do

http://www.youtube.com/user/kettlenetics

hope that helps
  • njb2001
    njb2001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jumping Rope for 10 minutes will give you the same workout as Running for 30 minutes. I add this into my weekly cardio routine with interval training and really noticed the difference. Start off trying to jump for 30-45 seconds with a 20 second break and build up to jumping for 10 minutes. Trust me, you will feel it
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I like zumba it burns calories fast and do not even realize u r exercising i do it on my playstation why my daughter watches cartoons