Why bottled water may be bad for your wealth, health and the

Why bottled water may be bad for your health, wealth and the planet

I blogged this, but thought I'd post too.....

So, folks are here because we are health conscious. We are becoming aware of those things that we consume in life and the effects that they have on us. We are aware we can we adopt a healthier eating style and exercise regime that is suited to our personal ecology.

In that case why is it that so many of us are indulging in a practice that potentially poisons us, with the possibility of causing cancers, and that poisons the planet ecological systems with extensive pollution.

What are we doing? We are drinking bottled water.

It is not good for our wealth, bottled water costs the earth (literally). Tap water in developed countries is, by and large, cheap and as “healthy” as any bottled water. Bottled water in some cases contains more bacteria than tap water! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7763038/Bottled-water-contains-more-bacteria-than-tap-water.html

When bottle water first hit the popular scene, Perrier, the vanguard, came in glass bottles. Now to meet demand millions of plastic bottles are produced. Glass is an inert material. Plastics are not necessarily. Plastic containers may leach the petrochemicals and other components used in their manufacture into the substances they contain. The water you are drinking.

http://www.leas.ca/on-the-trail-of-water-bottle-toxins.htm
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/life/health/article/25947--are-plastic-water-bottles-harmful
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2006/12/21/bottle-study.html

Think of all the energy, the oil used to produce the bottles. Bottles are made from oil. This is energy that could be used to stave off the point where we run out of that precious liquid.

What happens to those bottles. “Oh I recycle mine!” I hear. It was not so long ago that glass bottles would be used, returned to the product company where they would be washed, sterilized and refilled. We, you and me, now demand that we have toxic plastic bottles instead! The reality is that the plastic bottles may not be recycled in the way you think. Have a look at the story of bottled water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se12y9hSOM0

So for the sake of your wealth, health and your home, this planet, avoid buying water or drinks in plastic containers. Use tap water and store it in glass or metal bottles where possible.

Replies

• MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 324 Member
    I'm more concerned about the fluoride in tap water....especially in this country.

But thanks for the info. Maybe I'll get a filter for my tap.

I miss the good ol' days when you could buy almost any beverage in glass bottles.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    I have a water filter, so filter my tap water. Tastes just fine and much better for the environment than bottled - it takes at least 2 litres of water to produce 1 litre of bottled water, which is a waste.

That said, in Scotland, we are blessed with wonderful tap water - certainly in comparison with other parts of the UK.

C
  • millerne
    millerne Posts: 17 Member
    As i'm from Scotland, drinking anything other than tap water would be a crime.

Also hate it when you go out for a meal or to a bar and ask for water and they put a slice of lemon in it, no need as our water is fantastic!
  • not2late
    not2late Posts: 98 Member
    I have a water filter, so filter my tap water. Tastes just fine and much better for the environment than bottled - it takes at least 2 litres of water to produce 1 litre of bottled water, which is a waste.

That said, in Scotland, we are blessed with wonderful tap water - certainly in comparison with other parts of the UK.

C

Is filtering Scottish water sacreligious? ;)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    it dosent matter we are all going to die in 2012 anyways :laugh:
  • not2late
    it dosent matter we are all going to die in 2012 anyways :laugh:
    We're all going to die any way! :D So does that mean we do nothing? :) In case we don't all die next year, this site has a list of past end of the world predicitions and some predictions for the future, past 2012.
  • I have a water filter, so filter my tap water. Tastes just fine and much better for the environment than bottled - it takes at least 2 litres of water to produce 1 litre of bottled water, which is a waste.

C

I'm in Cheshire so we get all our tap water from the Lake District and is soft and lovely. The sodium levels in bottled water put me off more than anything else...
  • Yes!!! But let's spread the word on this. There is so much work, so little time. i'ts not about losing weight, it's about living, loving and making it fair.
    And to those who think 2012 is it.....today may be it for all you know, so make it a quality day and be healthy and loving to others and don't suck your planet dry.
    "If you still use plastic bags at the supermarket YOU SUCK"
  • not2late
    ..... i'ts not about losing weight, it's about living, loving and making it fair.......
    Youv'e got it!
  • aalexander0607
    aalexander0607 Posts: 34 Member
    In my state, tap contains arsenic and other metals that are also damaging to your health. I am also concerned with the levels of fluoride as well. I have stopped buying plastic bottles, but I do buy the 5 gallon jugs at the store--which is still plastic, but a lot less. I also pay attention to the number on the bottom of plastics. #1 is the best and #2 is almost as good. No toxic leaching!