Yoga & Dance games suggestions for consoles

Options
olymp1a
olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
Hi all,

I do not own any console but I am going to order either Wii or Xbox Kinetic, haven't made up my mind on that yet.

Could any of you share your experience for games? I am mainly interested in yoga and dance workouts. I took some yoga classes for about a month but I quitted cause I do not have the time for that now, so I am a beginner but I really want to work on that, mainly to built up strength and flexibility. I do dance classes at the moment, latin and argentine tango, for 9-13 hoours per week so I would also like to do some dance workout during the days the dance school is not operating (weekends, holidays etc.)

Could you please please please give me some suggestions? This would really help me decide which console to buy!

Many thanks to you all!

Replies

• MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi

We bought the Xbox Kinect for my son ;) at Christmas, i purchased Dance Central and i absolutely love it. I actually want to stick it on every chance i get, you can start at the top, which are easier to learn routines, and as you learn those you can move downt he list to the harder ones, even the ones that dont seem so complex at the time really tire you out. I would reccomend this to everyone, my 9 yr old son and my 16 yr old sister join me on it, you can have a dance battle against others, perform it on your own, or even opt for workout mode, which will track the calories you have burnt, ive also got MY Shape Fitness Evolved, its like having your own personal trainer, again tracking all the burnt calories and having varied activities and difficulty levels.

Aimee
  • lisamfick
    lisamfick Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love the Just Dance Games and Zumba for the Wii. Also the biggest loser game has a great Yoga routine.
  • veronicacannon
    veronicacannon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have Dance Central for the Kinect. Its not an actual workout game but it does have a work out mode. It allows you to enter your weight and give you an approximate of how many calories you burn. I wasn't sure of its accuracy until I wore my HRM while playing one day. You actually burn more calories than it shows, so thats good. Its a really fun game and does get your heart rate up. And the Kinect is cool with not having to use any remote! I suggest that game its fun!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    We have the Wii Zumba game, and it's a lot of fun. We also have a 360 and we thought about getting Kinect, but the reviews were not kind to people with limited playing area. I don't know how accurate that is, but several sites mentioned problems with less than a 10 x 10 space, so we didn't risk it. We'll likely get the next version of it.

I think whatever system you go with, you should be very happy!
  • reikichris
    Options
    I have a Kinect. I use the Workout mode on Dance Central. Burns calories and I have a lot of fun. Your Shape: Fitness Evolved is great too. It has a personal trainer section that is designed based on your wants and needs. Not high intensity, but a good workout all the same.
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    We have the Wii and love it. I have also played the Kinect and loved that too but you do need at least 6 feet of room. If I had the chance I'd get the Kinect.
  • olymp1a
    Options
    I don't know how accurate that is, but several sites mentioned problems with less than a 10 x 10 space, so we didn't risk it.

Now, here is something I did not consider! My space is quite limited and I had no idea that issue could arise with Xbox. You gave me a reason to research that, it's a shame to spend all this money to buy the Xbox just to find out that you cannot use it properly.

Thanks for sharing that! :smile:
  • mcouture3
    mcouture3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recently bought myself an xbox 360 with Kinect and Zumba Fitness. It's a fun workout but I'm not sure if I like the game just yet. I've read that Dance Central was the better game so I will try and get that this week. Either way the kinect is really fun. I played with my 8 year old neice and my father and it was a good workout and just all around fun so I would definitely suggest it. And bonus: No remote!
  • happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i have not played kinect but i own and love my wii, i just got zumba n it is awesome. i am also using wii fit n just dance. hope to get biggest loser soon.
  • krea4
    krea4 Posts: 1,814 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have been attending a yoga class for the last 3 years . I love it and am completely hooked! I haven't found a yoga 'game' or DVD to match the knowledge and encouragement you get from a good teacher. I have tried yoga on the wii but find it really hard! So I would give them a miss. If you can find time to go to a proper class as yoga can offer a whole lot more than just stretching. I see it as my TIME and nothing gets in the way.

I bought the wii Just dance 2 for my daughter. The game does get you sweating and heart beating but it concentrates alot on your arms so unless it is a routine I like I tend to just dance around like a mad women, much to the amusement of my kids:happy:
  • olymp1a
    Options
    I have been attending a yoga class for the last 3 years . I love it and am completely hooked! I haven't found a yoga 'game' or DVD to match the knowledge and encouragement you get from a good teacher. I have tried yoga on the wii but find it really hard! So I would give them a miss. If you can find time to go to a proper class as yoga can offer a whole lot more than just stretching. I see it as my TIME and nothing gets in the way.

Dear Krea4,

That is the same feeling I have on this issue too. Nothing can be compared with the support and encourangement you get from your teacher, not to mention the experience of practicing with other people. However I had to either do yoga class or dance class since both of them are exactly same hours and in this case dance wins my heart. :heart:

That is why I wanted to do some yoga at home. I know it will not be nearly as effective as practicing in a class but I don't want to quit it completely. :smile:
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have the wii.. and I love the wii boxing.. good workout, Zumba and Just Dance are both great for it as well... also hoping to get the wii active 2 it comes with a heart rate monitor and sensors.. you can track all your progress and calories burned thru there website. My sister has it for for PS3 and its amazing.. something else you may want to consider!
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have the kinect and I LOVE it. The graphics are way better than Wii and being without the remote is fantastic. I think the Zumba game is best, really makes you sweat and the moves are sinuous!
  • olymp1a
    Options
    Well, I have never tried Zumba but I have dance all dances that Zumba uses (except Calypso) so I guess it will be very easy for me to follow and I will definitely have fun with it! I am so buying it! :glasses:

Hopefully I will find some nice yoga workout too...