Working out in the evening is causing me to lose sleep

Options
I'm finding it hard to fall asleep at night, ever since I've started working out. I think a lot has to do with the fact I get home from the gym at 8:30 sometimes 9pm and I'm in bed by 10pm but I don't fall asleep until probably 1130 and then im up at 430?<----only bc my body forces me to get up, I don't need to be up until 6am. I wish I could go to the gym earlier but i cant bc I get home from work at 6pm and can't get out of my house until 7pm. Is there anything that can help me fall asleep? Something natural?

Replies

• EmilyJ1979
    EmilyJ1979 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    maybe a nice warm bath or warm milky drink? I also read in bed and nod of in no time!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those that can't work out at night too. Can you go to the gym in the morning since you are up anyway?

If not, you can try melatonin to sleep. But, you just might have to give it some time until your body adjusts to your new schedule so that you either a) can fall asleep at your normal time or b) your body learns to sleep in. I know that it takes me about a month or two after time change for my body to adjust to the new time so it may take awhile for you to adjust.
  • mayday2169
    Options
    I work the grave shift 11 pm - 7 am and I when I have troubles falling asleep I use Advil/ Tylenol PM, get the one without the pain reliever. Also read the warning label I believe it says it could be habit forming. But, It does help me get on a regular sleep schedule. Hope this helps!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the adrenaline your body produces from working out is going to make it hard for you to get to sleep if you do it right before bed. Working out because you're up anyway is a good idea if you're not able to make it to the gym earlier.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    What type of workout are you doing? I cant stay awake 1 hour after a tough CV workout, but if I do weights I find it hard to sleep for hours unless I have a hot bath when I get back.

By the way - you feel sleepy about 1 hour after having a hot bath - its actually your body getting cooler which makes you feel sleepy!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    When you're at the gym do you drink any 'sports drinks' at all like Poweraid etc? Just asking cos a lot of them contain caffeine.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Then don't do it.