What do you do to stop the night time munchies??

Options
I seem to be having problems with eating before bed. Any advice?

Replies

• nezeray
    Options
    I reserve a few calories etc for some Breyer's Carb Smart ice cream around bed time. *I* usually get the worst munchies at work, so I've replaced my junk food with fruits and almonds.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    100 calorie popcorn
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I go to sleep. Usually it's a stupid craving that I don't need.
  • chiarajulieann
    Options
    i had the same problem before, it is still a problem now. the only difference is, i got rid of all the junk food in the house so if i do munch late at night i'm eating healthy food. i also save a portion of my daily calorie allowance for times like that. if i've used up all my calories for the day, i just drink lots of water and go to bed. problem solved. =D

i hope i was able to help.
  • kprinzen
    kprinzen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been having a tough time with this too. Last night I walked on the treadmill while watching TV, I wasn't interested in eating at all after that. I'm going to try to get into a routine of exercising after dinner and see if this helps with my night time binging.
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    I can tell you my trick from last night. I ate 2 full servings of carrots. Which ended up being like 3-4 whole carrot sticks. Eat them plain. I actually was supposed to eat two cups for dinner, and I did have a dip (hidden valley spicy ranch mix and 0% greek yogurt) but the spicy ranch was disgusting, next time I will makei t w/ the plain ranch mix. Anyway... it took me HOURS to chew down those plain carrots (since I quit using the ranch dip). Force yourself to munch on raw celery, or raw carrots. It is SUPER low in calories and it helps with that hand to mouth boredom/late at night snacking problem. :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I go to sleep. Usually it's a stupid craving that I don't need.

atta girl! I believe this statement is true for most.

Before I started my program, I used to do eat senselessly at night as well. Now, I refuse to fall into those habits, and because I broke the habit, it no longer happens. it is a habbit, and you just need to break it, and you won't even remember about it.

If you eat a carb/protein balanced "meal" every 2-3 hours equaling 6 "meals" a day, your blood sugar levels should not be spiking and crashing, which is what makes us hungry and crave----its what works for me!
  • mkrafick
    Options
    I eat 5-6 times a day to keep my metabolism up the whole time which allows for a snack just before bed. Then I keep a 60 cal Sugar Free Pudding snack pack around to use ONLY IF I am hungry just before bed.

I have heard it isn't necessarily bad to eat just before bed just as long as you are smart about it. It prevents your blood sugar from dropping over night and prevents your body from going into "starvation mode" by morning where it wants to store everything from breakfast. Not sure if this is true or night, but relayed from a pretty reliable source.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have enough calories for a glass of chocolate milk. Yum.

As a bonus, I'm not taking my night-time medications on an empty stomach.
  • Tracey1234
    Tracey1234 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also save some calories for either 100 Calorie Popcorn or Sugar Free Jello Cup.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 times a day to keep my metabolism up the whole time which allows for a snack just before bed. Then I keep a 60 cal Sugar Free Pudding snack pack around to use ONLY IF I am hungry just before bed.

I have heard it isn't necessarily bad to eat just before bed just as long as you are smart about it. It prevents your blood sugar from dropping over night and prevents your body from going into "starvation mode" by morning where it wants to store everything from breakfast. Not sure if this is true or night, but relayed from a pretty reliable source.

WE THINK ALIKE!
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    I go to bed, but if its really bad ill get ice, water and a crystal light pack and blend it! I eat it with a spoon and it is so good!
  • traustifreyr
    Options
    I too have to eat before bed so I make sure I have at least 250 cal left for the midnight snack. Only problem is that I´m usually craving for richer foods than 250 cal can allow :(

If you have the option, going out for a brisk walk after dinner will net you between 150 and 200 extra cal´s. Thats one or two choc chip cookies :)
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Try a low calorie hot drink...like hot chocolate or tea. I find that the motion of making it then drinking it whilst reading or doing some work or something really helps. Often after i've finished my drink i'm not so hungry! Or i try and leave some calories over so if i am hungry i can have a yoghurt or a biscuit or something!

Eating at night is the worst but you will get used to not doing it.....try going to bed earlier, exercising in the evening or not just sitting in front of the tv! I find watching tv by myself in the evening leads to my mind wandering. try not to let yourself get bored!
  • augustus1
    Options
    Don't smoke so soon before going to bed.
  • caburk02
    caburk02 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hot decaf or herb tea or lowfat milk (if you have the calories saved) will not only help you feel fuller, it also makes you sleepy so that you fall asleep more easily.

If you're getting hungry before bed, then keep that in mind and set aside some calories for later in the evening, or plan a workout so that you can have a little something before you go to bed.

If you're just bored and need something to occupy your mouth, a piece of sugar free chewing gum will do that for you. My husband complains that it makes him feel hungrier, but for me the chewing keeps me from wanting to put other stuff in my mouth.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Actually Starvation Mode can take anywhere from a few days to a week before kicking in. It isn't something that happens immediately. Our bodies burn fat during our sleep. We just burn less calories while sleeping.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    If you are staying under your calorie budget, go for it. If you are blowing it by over 200 a day, expect not to lose much weight. Other suggestions

1) Eat stuff that makes you feel full without 'costing' too much. I feel full with apples, grapes, strawberries, and cherries. Make sure your cheap foods are easy to grab!

2) Exercise enough at the start of the day that you can have some more to eat at the end of the day.
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    I can tell you my trick from last night. I ate 2 full servings of carrots. Which ended up being like 3-4 whole carrot sticks. Eat them plain. I actually was supposed to eat two cups for dinner, and I did have a dip (hidden valley spicy ranch mix and 0% greek yogurt) but the spicy ranch was disgusting, next time I will makei t w/ the plain ranch mix. Anyway... it took me HOURS to chew down those plain carrots (since I quit using the ranch dip). Force yourself to munch on raw celery, or raw carrots. It is SUPER low in calories and it helps with that hand to mouth boredom/late at night snacking problem. :)

What a great trick Julie! Another one that I really love is edamame. You can get it in portion packets and it is such a low cal/carb/fat snack and you are definitely full after!
  • Upsy_Daisy
    Upsy_Daisy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I always used to munch at night from 8-10pm now i have my dinner and my daily treat after tea (cadbury flake)

then if I am really needing something I will have an 'Options' hot cholate on 38cals and that seems to knock it on the head !