carbsss

Options
How many grams of carbs should i consume a day if i want to lose weightt :)

Replies

• TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I try to stick to 60-70 NET carbs a day. NOT total Carbs, but net carbs. Net cabs are carbs minus fiber.
  • jammyone
    Options
    As little as you can!

Eating carbs (simple or complex) will make your pancreas secreate insulin, what this does is take any energy that you have in your blood stream and stores it in your muscles (as glycogen) or as stored energy (fat around your waist). Part of the reason why people don't lose weight is because they eat small amounts of food high in carbs, this causes insulin spike making you feel out of energy all the time.

If you can, cut carbs completely out of your diet - vegtables and some fruit is the only exception :-)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    A balanced diet consists of 45-60% carbs. So if you are on a 1200 calorie diet 135-180 grams, more on days you workout. Just make sure the source of carbs are from wholegrain, fruit, and veggies. Avoid white sugar, white flour, pretty much anything "white".
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    You don't want to over do it with your carbs, your body will eat them up and leave you hungry. I'd recommend eatin complex carbs and stay away from the startchy carbs such as potatoes and pastas. Eat like oatmeal. Try to get more of protein, it'll give you more energy and your body will store it instead of using it up plus it'll keep you fuller. Eat your carbs mainly before workin out so that your body has more energy and get alot of protein after your workout.
  • erickirb
    Options
    As little as you can!

Eating carbs (simple or complex) will make your pancreas secreate insulin, what this does is take any energy that you have in your blood stream and stores it in your muscles (as glycogen) or as stored energy (fat around your waist). Part of the reason why people don't lose weight is because they eat small amounts of food high in carbs, this causes insulin spike making you feel out of energy all the time.

If you can, cut carbs completely out of your diet - vegtables and some fruit is the only exception :-)

That is not a very balance diet. Carbs are good for you and if you don't have diabetes the "insulin spike" is very minor and almost non existent if you pair a complex carb with a source of protein.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't think the amount of carbs itself matters that much in losing weight, it's more down to the calories and whether you stay under your goal of those. However some people choose different % of fat/carbs/protein just because it works well for them with whatever other goals they may have.
    I chose to cut my % of carbs from 55% to 40% because when I eat too much I feel all bloated and lethargic and I used to eat so much pasta. I now aim to have between about 150-250 depending on how much exercise I do. How much exercise are you planning on doing / how many carbs do you have at the moment when you're staying within your calorie goal - do you feel you have enough energy from this?

I really wouldn't have as little as possible as the other person mentioned. Cutting a food group completely or almost completely out is not going to be good for you, there's nothing wrong with carbs in general just there are certain types that are better. Wholegrains and the carbs you get in fruit and veg are good. Carbs you get in white bread/white rice, and foods with added sugar in are not so good. If you are working out alot you definately need them. But then everything in moderation :)
  • jammyone
    Options

That is not a very balance diet. Carbs are good for you and if you don't have diabetes the "insulin spike" is very minor and almost non existent if you pair a complex carb with a source of protein.

Carbs are NOT good for you. They are the cause of diabetes, and heart problems.
    Complex carbs produce the same insulin response as simple sugars but at a much slower pace.

Diabetes is CAUSED through eating carbs.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Complex carbs produce the same insulin response as simple sugars but at a much slower pace.

Please site your source. This is not correct. Carbs are an essential component in a balanced diet. As someone said earlier. Weight loss is really about creating a calorie deficit not about the source of those calories. A healthy balanced diet required protien, carbs, and fat. Anything else is a version of a fad diet.
  • erickirb
    Options

Maybe by eating 80-90% calories as carbs, but carbs are essential and part of a balanced diet and are not bad for you in general. Statements like all carbs are bad is giving out false information. I only know a handful of those with diabetes and most of them have attained it from drinking too much pop and eating candy like it is going out of style. of the other 99% of people I know the majority eat a diet that consists of 50% plus carbs.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

Please site your source. This is not correct. Carbs are an essential component in a balanced diet. As someone said earlier. Weight loss is really about creating a calorie deficit not about the source of those calories. A healthy balanced diet required protien, carbs, and fat. Anything else is a version of a fad diet.

I agree....where did you get that info? That is CRAZY to think that! I have NEVER heard anything like that. Your body needs carbs, they fuel your body.
  • jammyone
    Options

Are you ready for this?

200,000 YEARS OF EVOLOUTION! Our ancestors survived and adapted to high fat and protein diet.
  • erickirb
    Options

Are you ready for this?

200,000 YEARS OF EVOLOUTION! Our ancestors survived and adapted to high fat and protein diet.

That is not a source that is a belief that you hold. You don't think we ate carbs, we evolved from monkeys/apes, they eat twigs, leaves etc. I would classify those as carbs, not fats or proteins. And potatoes and rice have bee part of the human diet of 1000's of years.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Are you ready for this?

That is not a source that is a belief that you hold. You don't think we ate carbs, we evolved from monkeys/apes, they eat twigs, leaves etc. I would classify those as carbs, not fats or proteins. And potatoes and rice have bee part of the human diet of 1000's of years.

LOL not to mention the assumption that the human body has not evolved in over 200,000 years.
  • erickirb
    Options
    not sure why this posted again
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

Are you ready for this?

Uh, wasn't life span about half then what it is now?