Getting a healthy amount of Calories

Options
Now that my fiancée and I are making a conscious effort to avoid fast food, eat healthy and eat at home, we are finding it hard to get a decent amount of calories in. Meaning getting enough calories. We are eating 3 times a day, and healthy snacks (fruit, low fat snacks, etc) Any suggestions? I want to be around 1500 calories a day and averaging 1200.

Replies

• GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    NUTS ARE REALLY GOOD FOR YOU AND HAVE ALOT OF CALORIES
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Perhaps just increase the quantities a bit, or change to using some higher cal versions of things like milk, yoghurt, cheese.
    Use a little bit more olive oil in your cooking, add avocado to everything. Add brown rice or wholegrain pastas to your dinner
    Nuts are a great snack, or add a little bit of dried fuit.

Edited to say: well done for making healthy food choices! If you do it together you stand a much better chance of keeping it up :)
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    organic granola bars or possible home made protein bars?? High in calories... ehh but nuts are always perfect for needing extra calories.
    not everyone likes nuts (their nuts) lol....what about add healthy things to unhealthy things... veggies to mac and cheese.... lean turkey to mac and cheese.... double whatever you are eating? I dont know this feels like it turned into a rant :( sorry!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    what I really want is a giant bag of cheetos... and maybe potato chips... butnot regular potato chips... the ones with ripples...
    and ketchup to dip them in (every day in my brain :'(

can this be anonymous?
  • dcrabill10
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. The hard part really has been to avoid the crappy snacks just to get some extra calories. I apparently must now run to the store and buy some nuts to keep in my office. :)

I suppose being UNDER calories is not the worst thing in the world, but I do want to make sure I'm maintaining a healthy amount at least.

Jamaica is within my sights, so gotta kick it up a bit. Thanks again everyone.