What new "Healthy foods" have you tried?

2»

Replies

• Surely it counts as a "healthy" food, since it's green -- I tried zucchini last night and actually liked it! Not super fond of the seeds or the squishy texture though.

I cut my zucchini into small slivers and substitute it for my spaggetti when im being good and on track food wise. The texture of the zuchinni is very very similar to spaggetti noodles.
  • Surely it counts as a "healthy" food, since it's green -- I tried zucchini last night and actually liked it! Not super fond of the seeds or the squishy texture though.

I cut my zucchini into small slivers and substitute it for my spaggetti when im being good and on track food wise. The texture of the zuchinni is very very similar to spaggetti noodles.
    SPAGETTI SQUASH is really good it has the texture of spagetti noodles and looks like noodles very very low in calories and good for you!
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Great for you for trying new healthy foods. I like the Sabra brand with pine nuts that has been mentioned in this post. It's really great with raw baby carrots.
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    2% cottage cheese with natural almonds. Always enjoyed cottage cheese, just have not had it in a long time.
  • I was really craving so real Ranch dressing. Not light or fat free ( ranch is my weakness) So i tried the grrek yogurt with hidden valley ranch mix and made a supper low cal no fat ( all the taste) ranch dressing!! YUM YUM
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    LOVE hummus... I make my own and most the time it's garlic or jalapeno. As far as store bought Trader Joes has some good kinds other wise Athenos is good too.

Spaghetti Squash- Just tried it last week and loved it. It can be eaten with a little salt pepper and butter, spaghetti sauce, or brown sugar to name a few ways to eat it.

Bell peppers any color- love them with hummus or in salads

Brown rice- can't tell the difference from white rice
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,549 Member
    I came up with this idea that each week I am going to try a "healthy food". I guess I am one of those picky eaters that really am not open minded enough. So when I went to Subway to get a salad they asked me if I wanted spinach on it. I was hesitant and thought why not? But I did tell them to put just a little bit on it.

So, overall it isn't too bad in a salad. I went to the store and bought some and right now I am eating it in my salad I brought for lunch! Glad I made the attempt and tried it.

So my next venture I think will be hummus. I have heard great things about it. So which hummus do you like? How do you eat it?

Everyone, post what "healthy foods" you have tried and liked or disliked? Anyone up to this challenge with me?

Roasted red pepper hummus, Athenos brand. It tastes great on fresh veggies. I tried quinoa and love it. I make myself eat salmon but hate it! I'm gonna put a starfruit in my salad tonight because it's pretty but I"ve never eaten one so we'll see.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    I tried Goji berries the other day and I love them. Now when I'm tempted to snack on chocolate or sweets I get a handful of them instead, and its probably about 15 calories for a small handful. (:
    Also I recently tried innocent smoothies and now I can't stop drinking it. I normally have a glass at about 4 or 5pm, its good for me, tastes awesome and keeps me full for a bit longer. (:
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Great post! Since starting here at MFP I've tried the following:
    Spaghetti Squash - I agree with the others, AMAZING substitute for real pasta
    Goat Cheese - my new favourite cheese!
    Quinoa - love love love this high protein grain
    Almond Milk - I didn't even know this stuff existed! I have it everyday with my Kashi cereal :)

I've always loved hummus. I have also always loved cauliflower and brussel sprouts but I love them even more now that I bake them in the oven with olive oil and spices.

I'm also now having an Activia every day. I used to buy yogurt and throw it out because it would expire. Not any more! I wish we had more Greek Yogurt options here in Canada - I'd love to try it. I've only found one big tub at one of my grocery stores and it wasn't sweetened so I was hesitant to try it that way.
  • I substitute spaghetti squash for pasta, hummus (Sabra brand roasted red pepper or spinach and artichoke flavor) on whole wheat crackers or as a dip for veggies), and my new bff- pickles (no calories, fat or carbs!). I cook a chicken and spinach dish- basically cook the chicken and spinach together in a covered pan with salt and pepper or whatever seasonings... it's pretty good.
    I tried eggplant and can't stand the texture.
    Thanks to the poster regarding the greek yogurt mix for ranch dressing... I'm tired of those oil based dressings :(
This discussion has been closed.