Protein

Options
Hey there,

I need opinions and information on protein before or after a work out...does it matter?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Just make sure its lean--does not matter what you choose--but make sure if you choose a shake that it also does not have tons of carbs and sugar in it--defeats the purpose.
  • mikeylikesit1177
    Options
    I always have protein shake right after my workout. Protein will help build muscle and maintian muscle which means burning of calories to maintain it. I have taken it before too and have had good workouts. Def take after with in a half hour of completing. Look for a low fat whey protein. Stay away from Muscle Milk. Tons of fat
  • cbreen90
    Options
    I try to take in protein before and after a workout. I'm not sure what you are supposed to do persay, that's just what I do and I have been building my muscle up.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Within 30 minutes or so of a challenging workout. But in order for the protein to be properly absorbed/utilized, whatever you eat/drink must have a bit of fat and a touch of carbohydrate (that's why all of the post-workout bars have fat and carbohydrates added ... it's not just for flavor!). That said, be wary of most of them -- most of them are much too high in calories for folks who are working hard to lose weight and some of them have plain unhealthy formulations.

I like the EAS 110 calorie drinks, or simple nonfat chocolate milk. :drinker:
  • healthynthin
    Options
    thanks for the help
    I have cliff protein bars i am trying out
    is that good?