confused about Ab exercises

Options
I hold all of my excess weight around my middle, typical apple shaped body type, and have read conflicting things about Ab exercises...

i read one article that said ab exercises would only make me look bigger as its building the muscle underneath before i shed the overlying fat on top eeeek!

i get that cardio is the best way to burn fat, but a lot of exercise programs have ab work built in too, and I dont know whether to avoid this until i get a bit trimmer in the tummy area?

I know a lot of u guys have it all worked out so any advice of beating the belly bulge would be fab thanks!

Replies

• givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    You can spot tone, not spot lose. Yes you may see miniscule increases in size when you build muscle, but nothing you would notice with the naked eye. Don't be afraid of ab exercises. You need a strong core, so do it all, cardio, weights, yoga, pilates, Zumba, whatever, and don't ever worry about getting "bigger", it just doesn't happen that way.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Skip the ab exercises and do the cardio to burn off the excess weight around your middle.
  • cbreen90
    Options
    I do cardio and ab exercises. I definitelyhave not gotten bigger, you're body will burn fat when it's building muscle. I highly recommend doing ab exercises for a strong, toned core. That's what I've always been told. Hope I helped a little!!! :)
  • lal73
    lal73 Posts: 116
    Options
    I think you would only start getting "bigger" after you have burned all the fat, and have only muscle left to build......I would stick to ab excersices along with cardio because they too are burning fat.
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Definitely do TONS of cardio as you DO have ab muscles and definition underneath the fat and to see it you have to get rid of the flab first. But I would also do some ab exercises too. I think pilates is the best for lengthening the core. But also do situps and other ab exercises you can do on a balance ball. It just takes time to get there so hang in there! Don't worry about building muscle, muscle is good and it won't make your middle look any bigger.
  • Annabelle2602
    Options
    Thanks guys!!

i definately need to ramp up the cardio but at least i wont be scared of the ab work now :D

3558314.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Cardio!

I am also and apple shape. Someone finally convinced me last week my abs are there, but what I am seeing is a layer of fat and excess skin (I have had 3 c-sections).