I am hungry

boobee32
boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
I ate a boiled egg this morning at 7:30,a nd I am starved!!! I have been thinking about lunch, dinner, what all I can eat. I am drinking water, its not helping. I will eat a yogart at 10, if I can wait that long.
WHY am I so freaking hungry?
Anyone else having this problem?

Replies

• bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Is ALL you ate a boiled egg? I think you're hungry because you are starving your body of nutrients and calories. Remember, it's not just what you don't want, it's what you DO want -- phytochemicals, antioxidants, etc. If an egg is all you had, you are not consuming enough nutrients; as a rule, I add veggies to every single meal. That means with my eggs, I put in mushrooms, spinach, onions, etc. If I eat a high calorie food, I try to add lettuce, tomatoes, etc. to balance it out. Break out the veggies and go eat, woman!:happy:
  • It's ok, to have a piece of high fiber low clorie toast and a yogurt with that egg as well.
    You can't starve yourself, your metabolism will shut down, and your weight will go nowhere fast!

You have to eat to lose weight. You just have to eat the right type of foods :)
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    An egg... For breakfast? JUST an egg?

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Everyone knows that! Have some toast with that egg, or a fruit salad, an apple, or oatmeal! Something. Not just an egg.

Gah, I feel hungry just thinking about it.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    I've been eating just one boiled egg with my coffee in the morning, BUT I also have a good snack a couple of hours later. If you're hungry, eat! Breakfast is important, and if you don't get full in the morning, you're going to feel hungry all day. Maybe have your snack now and see if it helps, and then have a little more if you can't make it to lunch. You can always rearrange your calories later in the day, but you have to get full now.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    The problem with one boiled egg is that it has nothing to keep you feeling full. There is 0 fiber in it. You need to all something to that breakfast. An egg is a good source of protein which can help you keep feeling full, but by itself it won't do it. Add a high fiber low cal cereal or some fruit or even some whole grain toast. You want fiber.

My breakfast is one banana, a serving of All Bran or All Bran Buds, 1/2 Cup of 1% Milk, and 15 grams of Chia seeds. Today it had 21 grams of Fiber in it, and that fiber will absorb water and keep me feeling full. Rarely am I feeling hungry even by the time Lunch comes along.

Fiber is your friend when seeking to lose weight, add to it some protein (you egg or some milk or some lean breakfast meat) and you will not feel hungry so quickly.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    hey boobee. are you purposely trying to avoid carbs? is that why you only ate the one egg? is it fat you are trying to avoid? or calories?

I'm not here to judge you only trying to understand so that I might be able to offer suggestions/help.

to answer your question, yes. If all I ate was one egg I would be extremely hungry too. I don't know about you, but one egg is not enough to sustain my body. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that due to your frame of mind and the hunger pains you feel in your body, one egg isn't enough to sustain your body either.

if you are trying to avoid fat, calories and carbs, why not eat one or two whole cucumbers with that egg? cucumbers are incredibly filling. OR, if you still prefer to eat only an egg, why not eat one or two whole cucumbers as a mid-day snack, around this time to help carry you over to lunch.

According to many, I eat very little but I also eat quite frequently - about every 2 1/2 hours. By eating small regular meals I never feel hungry yet seldom go over my desired daily caloric intake goals.

Feel free to browse my food diary for ideas of optimal health low calorie food choices; however, in the meanwhile, a typical day for me looks like this:
    Breakfast: is usually 1/2 cup multi-whole grain cereal, 1 scoop protein powder, 1/4 cup unsweetened fruit sauce and 1 tbsp chia seeds (about 288 calories).
    Morning Snack: Two to three hours later I eat 1-2 cups of veggies (sometimes with homemade bean dip - that way I control the fat, sugar & salt content) (about 150-200 calories).
    Lunch: is usually homemade bean or lentil soup OR a large salad with half a high fiber multi grain tortilla wrap OR a homemade tofu stir-fry (I'm vegan so if you eat meat you could substitute chicken, pork, beef, etc) OR a protein shake (if I'm really busy or on the road) (anywhere from 100-350 calories).
    Mid-day Snack: might be an entire box of alfalfa sprouts (only 20 calories and packed with vital nutrition) with 2 tbsp Kraft fat-free zesy italian dressing (25 calories) OR one cup of soup (if I didn't have it for lunch) (100 calories) OR a lettuce wrap filled with homemade tomato-basil pesto, sprouts and 1/4 cup finely chopped veggies (meat eaters can throw some chopped egg whites or 30 oz meat in) (135 calories).
    Dinner: could be a protein shake (if I didn't have one earlier in the day) or any of the above lunch, snack items that I have yet to eat.
    Before Bed Snack: I don't like going to bed feeling hungry so I typically eat one whole cucumber (skin peeled) about 45 minutes before bed. It helps curb that hungry feeling without adding hordes of carbs, calories, sugar, sodium or fat (9-18 calories).

I know you didn't ask for that type of information, but I hope you find it helpful in some small way. Feel free to message me if you want to talk more.
    All the best to you in your weight loss journey :smile:
  • boobee32
    well, i ate the boiled egg...BUT i will eat something at 10 while i am at work. It was a yogart today. I had been eating those Jimmy Dean Delite Sandwhich with 230 calories in it, at 10, but am trying not to eat so much processed food...thus, the egg this morning early at 730 and the yogart at 10 and lunch at 12:30.

If I eat more in the morning, early, I am still hungry...so was just trying to space it out a bit....and I am afraid if I eat MORE early, then when dinner time comes, I will over do it...because I am starved by dinner as well...
  • boobee32
    @Audjrey - That was GREAT info...thanks so much.

I ate the egg because I KNOW i will be eating again around 10 am. Trying to do the small meals frequently kind of thing, but apparantly, I still dont have it together.....lol...
    I just dont want to end up eating too much too frequently.....and going over my 1200 calories a day that i am given.
    I tend to go overboard at dinner, and I cant help it no matter what i try. Fixing dinner for my picky 13 year old is hard for me to stay out of, no matter how hard i try....so most of the time i eat the wrong things....
    I have for the past week however been incorporating more veggies and salads into my lunch and dinners....to try and keep me out of the good stuff i am fixing for dinner....
  • boobee32
    Oh yeah, not specifically trying to avoid carbs, fat, just the over indulgence period in what i eat.
  • I had about 2 cups of raspberries with 2 low fat eggo waffles for breakfast and I am starving! I have since had 2 cheese sticks, a handful of peanuts, water, water, water and gum. My stomach is growling! I really thought the fruit and waffles would hold me over today. I guess not. My usual breakfast is a cup each of grapes, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries. Wanted to change it up today.
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 195 Member
    I know it is hard, but if you shift your calorie load to earlier in the day, or at least spread it out relatively evenly you will feel SO much better. You need to get to the point where you can trust yourself not to go over your calorie limit in the evening. I used to have the same problem, but then I realised I'd much rather feel energised and satisfied throughout the WHOLE day, than have loads of spare calories for dinner. Making yourself suffer all day long is really not going to work as a long term eating strategy.
  • columbiasmiles
    columbiasmiles Posts: 54 Member
    This is what I have been doing and no I am not starving. I trying to eat at least 300-400 calories for breakfast no matter what. Today I slack because I rant out of my favorite cereal. You need proteing and fiber. Depending on how early you ate snack about 3 hours late try to stay with in 100-200 calories remember protein and fiber is key. Lunch time, again 200- 300 calories, protein and fiber and then snack again before dinner. By dinner time you stomach should be good.

When I first started eating the 1200 calories even with excercising to eat more. I was starving then about a week and half into it I was not hungry anymore. You body needs time to adjust. Oh, I have forgot, water, water, water.

We are so used to eating with our eyes and have been overeating for so many years. We have conditioned our stomach to take in all this food it doesn't need (hence, we are fat with big stomachs). So we have to in a since shrink our stomach and teach it that this is all you really need.
  • columbiasmiles
    columbiasmiles Posts: 54 Member
    I know it is hard, but if you shift your calorie load to earlier in the day, or at least spread it out relatively evenly you will feel SO much better. You need to get to the point where you can trust yourself not to go over your calorie limit in the evening. I used to have the same problem, but then I realised I'd much rather feel energised and satisfied throughout the WHOLE day, than have loads of spare calories for dinner. Making yourself suffer all day long is really not going to work as a long term eating strategy.

Yes, I totally agree.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    An egg... For breakfast? JUST an egg?

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Everyone knows that! Have some toast with that egg, or a fruit salad, an apple, or oatmeal! Something. Not just an egg.

Gah, I feel hungry just thinking about it.

Hehe, I eat nothing all day, my only meal is my evening meal between 4PM and 8PM. No breakfast for me... or lunch.

But i'm an extreme case.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    I always have a substantial breakfast, up to 400 calories.
    Examples:
    Wholemeal toasted muffin with peanut butter and a small banana
    Egg & oat omelette with chopped apple
    If I have this at 7.45am I rarely start to feel hungry before noon, but if I don't have a good breakfast then I will graze all day. After a while you will probably not feel the need to have large meals later in the day; a few hundred calories every few hours will feel right.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    I had about 2 cups of raspberries with 2 low fat eggo waffles for breakfast and I am starving! I have since had 2 cheese sticks, a handful of peanuts, water, water, water and gum. My stomach is growling! I really thought the fruit and waffles would hold me over today. I guess not. My usual breakfast is a cup each of grapes, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries. Wanted to change it up today.

That's a lot of carbohydrate: the hunger is your insulin kicking in to deal with all that glucose. If you reduce your intake of carbs, and eat more proteins (and fat in moderation) you'd probably feel less hungry.
  • boobee32
    ok....so.....tomorrow, I am going to try to eat more, but with good /better choices. Thanks everyone!!
This discussion has been closed.