Salad suggestions...

Options
Ok, this may be a silly question, but here goes anyway. I love salads. However, I am the only person in my house who ever eats them. So, I go out and buy a bag of baby spring mix, some carrots, some sprouts, some cucumbers, toms, etc. You get my point. Three days and 2 or 3 salads later my mix is brown and my carrots are slimy, etc. Are there certain types, brands, etc of salad ingredients that you buy for longevity or do you store them differently. Someone help please...this is getting expensive.

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what they are called, but I got these fruit and veggie fresh balls at a local market. They are green with white dots and you put them in your drawer to keep the veggies, etc fresh. They really work! Maybe you could check an "as seen on tv" store?
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the Debbie Meyer green bags work too
  • airsangel
    airsangel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I take my salad out of the bag that causes excess moisture & put it in an airtight tupperware container. I do not buy carrots that are already shredded b/c they are slimy & it only gets worse, I buy whole carrots & julienne them when I make my daily salad.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I tend to buy the organic lettuces in the plastic containers and have no problem with them lasting! I'm not sure they last longer than the bags but they seem to for me.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I buy fresh romaine lettuce. Nothing bagged. It will last longer.
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and have found that the salad greens in the plastic boxes last longer than in the bags. The boxes are ventilated and the greens aren't "smushed" inside them. They are usually about the same money and the ones I buy are organic as well. I've had a box of spring mix in my fridge for over a week and it's still fresh. I know people who swear by those special containers for produce that are supposed to keep it fresher longer, but I have not tried them myself.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I usually get the fresh express veggie lovers. It already has a lot of veggies in it and I just add brocoli, cucumbers and black beans if I am having it for dinner. I do usually only get 2 salads out of it but I'll have it in my fridge for a few days after eating half of it and the other half does okay. I like the idea of a tubberware container.
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't buy my greens in a bag. I buy the loose mesculine and store it in a "green bag" (sold in grocery stores, pretty cheap) with a paper towel that sucks up moisture. It works really well!
  • loseit4good52
    Options
    I buy the Spring Mix that comes in a plastic container and take out enough for a small salad each day. Be sure to wash the leaves very well and shake off ALL the water...it needs to be very dry before you make your salad. Hope this helps :)
  • maytanewfie
    Options
    I buy the spring greens or spinach in a plastic box, it seems to last longer for me, and spinach definitey lasts longer than lettuce. I also use broccoloi slaw in a bag, and that usually lasts pretty well for me too. When I can get a bag of small peppers (red, yellow, and orange), I use that too. I can cut one pepper, but not the rest so they last longer than cutting part of a whole sized pepper. I'm also a fan of the green bags, they seem to help.