To increase or decrease Calories to start loosing again

Options
Ok friends I need your input: I have stopped loosing weight I am stuck at 151lbs I am trying to decide if I need to increase my calorie intake or decrease my calorie intake not sure what to do. When I was loosing I was at 1490., cannot remember what activity level I had. When I try to do the guided option and select Sedentary for activity level it gives me 1210 which I will be starving specially when I start doing p90x again. If I select lightly active I get 1340. I work an office job but do move around through the day to get water, walk to boss office, meeting and go for 30 mins walks at lunch

so I am not sure what to do. Any inputs please :)

I know I need to do something to kick start my weightloss again just not sure what??? I am taking a week off after completing p90x but will start again next week.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    what is your weekly goal deficit set at?

also all your statistical numbers would be helpful.

I.E. height, body fat % if you have it. Type of work, exercise routine, extra activities (not logged), any medical conditions...etc. anything that's even remotely relevant is important when you have a question like this.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are doing P90X the diet plan suggests that the lowest intake be 1800 calories/day. So if you burn on average 450 cals doing P90X you should set your intake to 1350, and eat your exercise calories to reach the 1800 as suggested in the program.

so the short answer is increase you caloric intake
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Just a note, if you are doing Px90 or any other kind of exercise, you should be logging and EATING those calories. MFP will put you at 1210, but that means that when you burn 500 calories, you should be eating 1710 for the day.

SHB is right in asking for the other specs as it will help be more specific. I just really wanted to point out, MFP in no way encourages eating 1210 cals and burning 500 of them on exercise.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options

I.E. height, body fat % if you have it. Type of work, exercise routine, extra activities (not logged), any medical conditions...etc. anything that's even remotely relevant is important when you have a question like this.

Right now the deficit is set to 480 just because I have been messing with the numbers but before I had it at 500.
    Height 5'3
    Body fat do not have it
    I work in an office environment desk job
    I try to log all of my extra activities like walking the dog, bike riding with my kids etc. no medical conditions
  • OpalFruitJam
    OpalFruitJam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you're working out a lot- then decreasing your calories may put you into starvation mode. The metabolism gets confused- so by changing it up throughout the week- it may kick start it into motion again. If you have three days eating normally, or just very very slightly below 'normal' calories and then four days of eating slighlty above normal calories. Do this on a day on day off basis and see if that works?

Although that's just my opinion, I don't really know all that much about nutrition!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    If you are doing P90X the diet plan suggests that the lowest intake be 1800 calories/day. So if you burn on average 450 cals doing P90X you should set your intake to 1350, and eat your exercise calories to reach the 1800 as suggested in the program.

so the short answer is increase you caloric intake

Ok so when I was doing p90x I had it to 1490, and I was doing my best to eat most of my exercise cals back it was hard but I was trying. I lost weight for the first two months but none the last month. Right now I am taking a week off and will be back at it again next week

So are you telling me I should go higher than what I had prior? higher than 1490? or just go to 1350 and eat all of my exercise cals back?
    when doing cardio exercise I average 600 cals when doing weights is around 300's.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Right now the deficit is set to 480 just because I have been messing with the numbers but before I had it at 500.
    Height 5'3
    Body fat do not have it
    I try to log all of my extra activities like walking the dog, bike riding with my kids etc. no medical conditions

Not sure if 1 lb a week is gonna work for someone only looking to lose 20 lbs. Since we don't know your Body Fat % it's hard to tell, but that's a lot for someone who is just about into the healthy range already. It's something to be aware of. Is that 500 calories, net calories? I.E. are you eating exercise calories back?
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options

Height 5'3
    Body fat do not have it

Not sure if 1 lb a week is gonna work for someone only looking to lose 20 lbs. Since we don't know your Body Fat % it's hard to tell, but that's a lot for someone who is just about into the healthy range already. It's something to be aware of. Is that 500 calories, net calories? I.E. are you eating exercise calories back?

What do you mean 1lb a week is not going to work I am so confused right now :sad: I got a new scale and supposedly tells me my body fat and it said 33% not sure how accurate that is. The deficit is what I see when setting up my calories under goal settings that is the number I gave you.

I was eating some of my exercise calories back
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Height 5'3
    Body fat do not have it

What do you mean 1lb a week is not going to work I am so confused right now :sad: I got a new scale and supposedly tells me my body fat and it said 33% not sure how accurate that is. The deficit is what I see when setting up my calories under goal settings that is the number I gave you.

I was eating some of my exercise calories back

I mean, when you don't have a lot of weight to lose, you can't expect to lose large amounts per week, your body won't support it. at more extreme levels you'll see plateaus, fatigue, immune system weakness, skin/hair/nail/teeth issues...etc. but my point is, when you only have a relatively small amount of weight to lose, your expectations should be lower with regards to weekly weight loss.

No those scales are rarely accurate, they depend on hydration levels for electrical conductivity, and unless you're measuring your hydration levels before you step on every time, they will never be all that accurate.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    OP what did you do and did it work?

I figured I'd just bump this thread since I have the same issue. I am 5'3 with a small frame. I weighed 116-120 after doing 1200+hrm exercise cals and plateaued. Then I started strength training more intensely (heavy sets 3X/week) with high intensity cardio like HIIT and turbofire and eating 1300+hrm exercise cals, now I am almost 10lbs heavier weeks later. :noway:

It sounds crazy on a "deficit" but I know a lot is muscle from the way I look and I build it easily. I am trying to get back down to 118. My body fat is 17% by digital calipers, probably closer to 20% in reality. I am going to decrease the intensity of my strength training to stop bulking and add in a little more steady state cardio after my HIIT. Some guides are saying I should eat a set 1300-1400 without including exercise cals, so maybe I was eating too much? I was using a non-digital scale and estimated my eating out, maybe that is the other problem.

I just feel discouraged with this weight loss thing (it looks like I've had success but that was all WITHOUT counting). I'm wondering if I'm the kind of person that needs to shoot for 1000 a day to lose :frown:
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Bump...I really want to see the answer to this.

And @cutmd - I literally just added the same quote you have in your sig to my vision board!
  • cutmd
    Options
    nobody huh? Not even the thread originator? Maybe I need to get a bodybugg or something....
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    sorry cutmd, I didn't see it.

I can tell you this though, I wouldn't stop the weight training. That happens all the time to people. When you begin a new, strenuous exercise type, and are working muscles in a different way then they are used to, often you gain some weight because of it. I'd be very surprised if it was more than 1 to 3 lbs of actual muscle mass though, more likely it's that previously dormant muscle fiber was activated by the new activity and when that fiber is activated, it requires more glycogen and water around it (dormant muscle fiber is partially dessicated because of lack of use), which will account for much of the new weight. Also be aware, at your weight and height and body fat % I would put your maintenance calories at somewhere around 1800, I would say having a deficit of 300 would be just about right for you, where as 500 might be a bit to much. Just be cautious to be very accurate in your food measuring, that can be a big problem when you're talking about small deficits. these are rough guesses mind you, to be more accurate we'd need to do more in-depth analysis and some trial and error (alas, weight loss is kind of a "soft science" in that respect).
  • cutmd
    Options
    Thanks SHBoss,

I'm not going to cut the strength training completely, just back off a little to lighter weights to maintain rather than grow.

I don't get it, even with eating exercise cals and 1300 I was not averaging over 1800, even if off by 500 calories. So why have I gained so much? So frustrating! :sad:
  • Rizyx
    Rizyx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    cutmd i personally would stick with the strength training and stick to the current weight as if you drop the weight you will lose the muscle you already built up, just stick to the weight you are at at the moment but dont increase it at all just maintain at that weight

as for calories i would suggest arround 1200-1300kcal

keep the macros at a 60/20/20 (protein/carbs/fat) ratio and you should see the fat drop off quicker

also it would help if you posted up your normal daily diet ;)
  • Rizyx
    Rizyx Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I can tell you this though, I wouldn't stop the weight training. That happens all the time to people. When you begin a new, strenuous exercise type, and are working muscles in a different way then they are used to, often you gain some weight because of it. I'd be very surprised if it was more than 1 to 3 lbs of actual muscle mass though, more likely it's that previously dormant muscle fiber was activated by the new activity and when that fiber is activated, it requires more glycogen and water around it (dormant muscle fiber is partially dessicated because of lack of use), which will account for much of the new weight. Also be aware, at your weight and height and body fat % I would put your maintenance calories at somewhere around 1800, I would say having a deficit of 300 would be just about right for you, where as 500 might be a bit to much. Just be cautious to be very accurate in your food measuring, that can be a big problem when you're talking about small deficits. these are rough guesses mind you, to be more accurate we'd need to do more in-depth analysis and some trial and error (alas, weight loss is kind of a "soft science" in that respect).

not necessarily true, 300 calories will only be a small amount of weight being lost a week (not even a lb) so cutting at 500 calories is ideal range for most women, main problem with people and struggling to cut the fat is diet as many people dont count all the calories and wonder why they arent losing any weight, doing strength training and then cardio straight after will increase chances of burning fat as the strength training would have enabled the body to use carbs as energy which would have left nothing for the body to burn after apart from fat as all your carbs were used as energy for your weight lifting
  • cutmd
    Options
    cutmd i personally would stick with the strength training and stick to the current weight as if you drop the weight you will lose the muscle you already built up, just stick to the weight you are at at the moment but dont increase it at all just maintain at that weight

as for calories i would suggest arround 1200-1300kcal

keep the macros at a 60/20/20 (protein/carbs/fat) ratio and you should see the fat drop off quicker

also it would help if you posted up your normal daily diet ;)

I wouldn't mind losing a little leg muscle since my jeans are a little snug at the moment. :ohwell:

Are you saying 1200-1300 and not eating exercise cals? I know a girl on another thread that is doing well is averaging 1000 net, I am thinking of going that way

I am currently set for 40/40/30, 60/20/20 would be super hard but maybe I'll try it starting next week

My journal is open to public, though I fell off of it the last few days due to moving and frustration. My usual menu is something like:

breakfast: eggs and turkey sausage for breakfast (or no breakfast if I am doing leangains)
    yogurt or fruit snack
    lunch: kale salad with chicken or tuna and mustard dressing or sauteed veggies and meat (ground beef or chicken)
    dinner (my biggest struggle since I have it with hubby): chicken thighs or steak with coconut rice and veggies or a meal out somewhere. I am gluten allergic so I never have that but will occasionally give in to sugar cravings
    snack: most often air popped popcorn with coconut oil or some cheese

Probably not so popular but I do throw in intermittent fasting ala eat-stop-eat from time to time with success. The fact that this works so well for me makes me think my calorie counts are off or I need a lower amount than I'm alotting myself. I really hoped I was someone that needed to eat more...:tongue:
    I will usually do strength training MWF and HIIT 2x/week.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

not necessarily true, 300 calories will only be a small amount of weight being lost a week (not even a lb) so cutting at 500 calories is ideal range for most women, main problem with people and struggling to cut the fat is diet as many people dont count all the calories and wonder why they arent losing any weight, doing strength training and then cardio straight after will increase chances of burning fat as the strength training would have enabled the body to use carbs as energy which would have left nothing for the body to burn after apart from fat as all your carbs were used as energy for your weight lifting

what are you talking about? Why would 1 static deficit be ideal for most women? That's just not true what so ever. Where did you pick up this information? I got 300 calories based on her individual numbers, and the fact that she has little to lose and her body doesn't have a large fat resovoire to pull from, meaning 1 lb per week will probably be to large of a deficit.

And 60/20/20? Why? Why do that? 60 % protein won't do any better for her than 40% or lower. I would probably recommend between 25% and 35% depending on how much weight training she is doing. The protein thermogenisys effect is minor and only accounts for a very small portion of calories, this is the only conceivable reason someone would want high protein (unless they just don't understand human metabolism and think more protein = more muscle mass, which just isn't true.)
  • avenathus
    avenathus Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Sorry to hijack this thread slightly but I'm in a similar situation (reached my goal, starting maintaining and lifting heavy, and put weight back on) and this is a question I have about my own calorie consumption. Do you mean cutmd's net cals should be 1800 for maintenance, even after exercise? Or she should just eat 1800 total calories a day? This is something I'm wondering about for myself and have been trying to find clarification on. I've been eating an average of 1550 net calories a day for the last two months (since I started maintaining), but most calorie calculators online put me at 1700+, which seems like a lot. So I just feel confused if that should be my net calorie goal, or just calories consumed per day regardless of exercise. I hope that makes sense heh.
    Thanks in advance!! :)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks SHBoss,

I'm not going to cut the strength training completely, just back off a little to lighter weights to maintain rather than grow.

I don't get it, even with eating exercise cals and 1300 I was not averaging over 1800, even if off by 500 calories. So why have I gained so much? So frustrating! :sad:

It all comes back to my original point, when you begin a new stressful exercise routine (weight training) you can put on weight because of it, some of that is temporary, but some of it is permanent. But it's not fat, you should put weight out of your mind, focus on strength and body fat. I'm pretty sure after the initial surge in weight because of muscular adaptations to increased resistance, that will cease and you'll level off, and maybe even drop back down a couple. Please note, this has very little to do with your calorie deficit, this is all about muscular (and neurological) adaptation, your body is activating dormant muscle, that dormant muscle was atrophied before, but now that it's being used again, it requires all the fluid and glycogen that are needed to function, these things are heavy. Once you come close to maximum activation of existing fiber, the weight loss will stop, and as long as you train relatively hard, you'll keep that muscle mass, maybe even add a little more (good thing).