Ketogenic diet....anyone on one (low-carb)?

Options
I am starting a ketogenic diet....staying under 20grams of carbs per day...i am wondering if anyone else is on or has tried a low carb diet like this and how much they lost the first two weeks and the first month....i am hoping to hear success stories....i am trying to motivate myself....help! :)

Replies

• MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I am doing that myself I lost 10 pounds in less than 2 weeks... Be sure to take vitamins and lots of water!
  • jammyone
    Options
    I've been somewhere between a Primal and the Anabolic diet.

My body fat has reduced from 15.4% to 12.5% in 6 weeks with 1 pound of muscle gain.
  • elfie9863
    Options
    I have been on this for almost a month and have lost 10 lbs. However, I did have a major mess up that involved a couple gin martinis and sorta of wandered on thru the weekend. It took me several days to get back on track. Actually, the ketostix that you can get have really helped me out a lot. You can see if the things you are eating/drinking are steering you off track.

I have also felt SO much better lately and have a ton more energy. I truly believe low carb is not for everyone, but just saying it is working well for me and is so easy to stick with.

Good Luck!

:flowerforyou:
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    The Ketogenic diet was created to treat people with epilepsy. I have epilepsy and have used this diet. It is high in fat while low in carbs. I think when you start depriving your body of a natural substance such as carbs, you run the risk of messing with your bodies chemical balance. A well balanced meal with a lot of fruits and veggies and a 4oz portion of meat is best. Judging by your picture you don't really need to do to lose weight maybe become healthy and fit. A well balanced diet is best. Diets like the Ketogenic got me to where I am today and that is overweight and unfit.
  • tryingtobefit
    Options
    ok,first, if that is you in the pic and it is recent, what n the world are you dieting like that for????.....
    My husband soes body building shows, and he did that diet last year. It worked realy good for a while for him,but, I think it is more just on how YOUR body reacts to a certain diet. He actualy does better on a diet where he gets more carbs and he rotates them high and low days. With this one your doing, its like a no carb, fat and protien diet. Make sure to take like a multivitamin, and maybe even some glucosimien for your joints..not sure if I spelled that right..you can get those at the walmart fairly cheap where the vitamins are...you want to drop weight fast I know how you can do it though, but its no fun!
  • MelissaE27
    Options
    One Of my best friends did it and lost over 80 lbs in 6 months.. looks amazing.... I actually have the atkins book and cook book... I carry it around like a bible... but it helps and the sticks you use is amazing you can actually see your stages in Ketosis...
  • android04
    Options
    A Keto diet is a great way to lower your BF%. They can be very useful but can also play many mind games with you. The hardest part is going to be the first two weeks. Depending on your approach to cardio, and if your diet is spot on (absolutely NO cheating) you will lose the average of 3-5lbs. Most people who do this diet will give up quickly as the body will make drastic changes in that two week period. You can buy Keton urine strips (pee on them) to know when the body is in ketosis. I personally did the diet just to see how I would like it and I lost a pound a day. Unfortunatly that was too much for me but I plan to try it again in another month.

Look up information written by Dave Plaumbo he has plenty of information about Ketosis diets. Just stick with it and you will reach your goal.

-Drew
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    ...you want to drop weight fast I know how you can do it though, but its no fun!

HOW?!
  • MelissaE27
    Options
    For me I have to see results fast or I give up and get discouraged... and with this diet you become very creative on your eating.. but like what was said before its not for everyone. There is NO CHEATING at all....
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am doing it (supervised by an internist) and have had good success. In 1 week, I am down 10 lbs. In the past I have tried this and also did very well. For all the naysayers -- it really depends upon your body type and metabolism. I come from a family of very obese ancestors. My eldest brother has lost a lot of weight on low carb eating and has gotten off high blood pressure and diabetes medications and has not put weight back on.

Obviously if you do it, you have to make it a long-term commitment and it is very hard to eat low carb without sacrificing some fruits and veggies but if you get a plan that phases you in, you actually end up eating very healthy with lots of veggies and fruit. You just learn which ones are higher in carbs and work them into your daily menu.

Good luck!
  • spaceylacey
    Options
    i wish....lol....ive gained like 15pounds since then....id like to lose about 20...i want all my abs to show again....so far so good...i feel lighter after a couple days believe it or not....yay for me! and thanks for the reply :) good luck!
  • spaceylacey
    Options
    cool! im glad that most everyone has had success with this....it seems to be working already....im excited to see my progress after two weeks....most importantly this is keeping me from drinking....something i was doing WAY too much...thank you all for your replies and good luck to you all!!!....you can do it!!!!!!!