Diet Pop and cravings

Options
Can Diet Coke cause you to crave sweets more?
I feel like since I switched to diet drinks I am craving sweets more.
Any ideas?

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    They dont make me crave sweets,but I guess in some people they do
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    YES it can!!! Because the fake sweet from the Diet soda tricks your brain into thinking you've had sugar, and then when the calories can't be found from it, your brain gets confused and wants those calories that it thinks it got and makes you want things with sugar in it. It's crazy!
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    yes it can its to do with the artificial sweetner your body does need sugar so if you don't give it to it it will still crave it. but you can eat sugar without eating bad sugar fruit has natural sugar that should help with cravings
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Yes they sure can do that!! I just gave up pop all together. Even though diet pop as 0 calories, your body actually digests it as regular sugar and can't tell the difference. It does make me crave sweets and want to eat more so just drinking water does it for me!!!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    This makes sense! I was doing so well the last few days: eating clean, healthy foods. Last night I had a glass of diet coke and I was just blasting through the cupboards with a mission to find anything in site!

Time to ditch the diet pop..
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Yes, Yes, and Yes. The artificial sweetners do not register with your sweet cravings. You drink them and then since that has not been satisfied you want more. More people gain wait on Diet drinks than on regular sodas. If you are drinking regular soda especially if it is soda made with real sugar cane instead of corn syrup then you will be satisfied much faster and not crave it near as often. I loved it when Pepsi came out with the Pepsi throwback as it was made with real sugar cane and IT was good. I didn't drink near as much soda and felt much better. Your body aslo can process the real stuff much better than it can the fake stuff.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    wow I have never had that happen to me.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I DIDNT THINK THEY DID ME EITHER UNTIL IVE BEEN OFF THE DT DEW FOR A MONTH NOW...AND THE CRAVING FOR SWEETS IS PRETTY MUCH GONE! ON THE TODAY SHOW SHOWED WHERE THEY ARE LINKED TO CRAVING MORE SUGAR AND INCREASE CHANCES OF A STROKE. I DONT KNOW ABOUT ALL THAT..BUT I USED TO DRINK ATLEAST A 2 LITER OF DT DEW A DAY...ITS ALL I DRANK!

I HAVE SWITCED TO SWEETEN MY TEA AND COFFEE W/ NUTRIVIA...ITS GOOD AND NOT REALLY SWEET TASTING LIKE SPLENDA OR SWEET AND LOW
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    I drink one every other day and I think I would know if I had cravings.I tried to eat a skinny cow ice cream sandwhich just now took 2 bites couldnt finish it.I just dont want sweets.It may have that effect on most people but not all people
  • tlcoke
    tlcoke Posts: 10
    Options
    Before I stopped drinking DIet Soda, I constantly had to have it, not sure how much I was drinking daily but it was well over two liters. I also craved Chocolate and anything sweet to satisfy that need for something sweet. I was not conscious that I was even doing it at the time. When I switched to regular soda, I could drink on the same soda all day long. I am drinking more water now, and only a small amount of soda a day.
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I heard it can and it makes sense because before I joined MFP, I drank a lot of that and constantly needing something sweet. Since MFP, I have complete cut out the diet sodas and I've noticed, I no longer crave the sweets as much...just when I'm PMSing and I have found awesome, healthy substitutes for the fattening stuff I was inhaling before.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    hmmm I never eat sweets or want sweets for that matter and about the only time I want a diet soda is everyother day or so.none of that has ever happened to me
  • audbbgirl
    Options
    Can Diet Coke cause you to crave sweets more?
    I feel like since I switched to diet drinks I am craving sweets more.
    Any ideas?

Thank you all so much for all the great information. I truely beleive it affects me in this way I need to quit it all together. It is so easy for me to stick to water in the summer but in the winter I want pop more. I don't get it.
    Weird how our bodies work.
    Again...any more ideas for sweet cravings that are healthy and inexpensive would be greatly appreciated.
    God Bless all of you!!
  • audbbgirl
    Options
    Before I stopped drinking DIet Soda, I constantly had to have it, not sure how much I was drinking daily but it was well over two liters. I also craved Chocolate and anything sweet to satisfy that need for something sweet. I was not conscious that I was even doing it at the time. When I switched to regular soda, I could drink on the same soda all day long. I am drinking more water now, and only a small amount of soda a day.

yes, I feel like I crave it just as much as i do sugar. It is bad...i want it all day long.
    I hate it.
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Forgot the quote!
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I DIDNT THINK THEY DID ME EITHER UNTIL IVE BEEN OFF THE DT DEW FOR A MONTH NOW...AND THE CRAVING FOR SWEETS IS PRETTY MUCH GONE! ON THE TODAY SHOW SHOWED WHERE THEY ARE LINKED TO CRAVING MORE SUGAR AND INCREASE CHANCES OF A STROKE. I DONT KNOW ABOUT ALL THAT..BUT I USED TO DRINK ATLEAST A 2 LITER OF DT DEW A DAY...ITS ALL I DRANK!

That sounds just like me, but i drink Diet Pepsi!
  • automaticturtle
    Options
    I'm going to be one of the odd ones out here and say that diet pop tends to satiate my craving for sweet foods rather than aggravate it.

That being said - yes, a lot of people are sensitive to artificial sweeteners (which are not just in pop - gum and fat-free flavoured yoghurt are big culprits here, too) and find that it makes them more likely to binge.

This thread has reminded me that I need to work harder on kicking my Diet Pepsi habit.