Evenings the hardest?

Options
During the day I am BUSY BUSY BUSY. So busy, that I have to remind myself to eat my breakfast and lunch!

When I get home in the evening, I have lots of "down time". Which is wonderful and relaxing, but often leads to me eating out of boredom! Unfortunately I don't always make the healthiest choices at this time of day!

My goal tonight is to NOT eat out of boredom!

What are some things that help you all fight "eating out of boredom"?

Replies

• Attadot
    Options
    I've always thought I should start doing knitting, crocheting, needle point or something to keep my hands busy. I haven't done this but it sounds like a really good idea.
  • emilyjayne90
    Options
    Heyy :) I feel your pain of evenings. Its so hard, once ive put my daughter to bed and its ME time its hunger time only out of bordem not becuase im hungry and its HARD. My partner sits and eats crisps and treats and i sit and drink flavored water haha. So chin up and think of WEIGHT LOSS not WEIGHT GAIN :) Feel free to add me Emily
  • SillySarah
    Options
    During the day I am BUSY BUSY BUSY. So busy, that I have to remind myself to eat my breakfast and lunch!

When I get home in the evening, I have lots of "down time". Which is wonderful and relaxing, but often leads to me eating out of boredom! Unfortunately I don't always make the healthiest choices at this time of day!

My goal tonight is to NOT eat out of boredom!

What are some things that help you all fight "eating out of boredom"?

I try to not watch too much TV. It's too tempting to plop down in front of the TV and graze on stuff.

I also try to reserve 1 - 2 special snacks to specific times during the week. I am more motivated to not eat when I am bored if I remind myself that I only have to wait a couple days for a special treat. That's what works for me at least.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I put my 2 year old in bed at 8:30, then wash the dishes and clean the kitchen and then get a glass of water and go to my bedroom and stay there the rest of the night. I keep diced melon and washed seedless grapes in my fridge, just in case I really feel the need for an evening snack.

Also, by 10pm I'm usually too exhausted to think about food.
  • boffo
    boffo Posts: 22
    Options
    Have you tried closing out your diary as soon as you finish dinner. "Locking' my intake for the day is usually just enough of a psychological boost to avoid eating any more... that and seeing the "...in 5 weeks you'll weight" gets my mind off of the food.

Video games or a book rather than TV helps too... both keep my hands engaged so I can't use them to stuff things in my mouth...
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Maybe keeping around some healthy snacks would help. They don't taste near as good as the bad stuff, maybe you won't eat as much of them.....and still curb that hunger. If it is hunger. Try drinking more water, doing some cross words, search and finds, or something you enjoy that will sidetrack your mind.

I struggle with the same thing myself...... just try to not give in. Usually works, but we are human.
  • Erius
    Erius Posts: 23
    Options
    I ate an entire sleeve of baby arrowroot cookies! They may be only 30 calories each, but when you eat 15 of them at once? Not so good. The night times are my worst times too. I've actually started working out for only 20 minutes on my eliptical before bed. Sometimes hard if I really feel up to it, but usually just a moderate pace. After that, I shower and brush my teeth, then I drift on to sleep as soon as my head hits the pillow! Yesterday was a slip, but my method seems to be working so far!

You'll find something that works for you. Good luck!
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    I am also busy busy busy during the day, with work, class and internship, i find that working out at night is best for me. Although as of late i dont feel like i have much " Me time" so to speak, but working out at night has been a great saver in the munchie dept! :)
  • alidachrista
    Options
    I have the same problem. Work in the morning and my boyfriend isnt around to push me and to keep me active because he works at night so therefore I have a lot of "down time". I get bored very easy and eat all the time becasue of it. I find that putting on some music and cleaning up a bit gets me into a more energetic mood and out of the bored state of mind. This also takes my mind off of food and forget about it, therefore I will no longer want it.

I try to keep lots of fruits and veggies in the fridge incase I get that craving. Going for fruits and veggies instead of a cookie also makes me feel much better about myself.

I also like to use my elliptical and do Turbo Jam if i'm starting to feel too relaxed on the couch. If you don't know what Turbo Jam is, it's basically Tae Bo in a more exciting fashion. I would recommend trying it. :) It gets me into a happier mood.

I know its not much but it helps me a lot.

Good Luck SWgal
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Have you tried closing out your diary as soon as you finish dinner. "Locking' my intake for the day is usually just enough of a psychological boost to avoid eating any more... that and seeing the "...in 5 weeks you'll weight" gets my mind off of the food.

Video games or a book rather than TV helps too... both keep my hands engaged so I can't use them to stuff things in my mouth...

I do the same thing. After dinner I close out my food diary and then go brush my teeth. If I feel snackish, I drink water, or go take a bath, or something that will take me away from sitting and munching.
  • monicarenee
    Options
    I need help with this too. It seems that my hunger doesn't kick in until around 6pm and doesn't shut off till I force it too when I go to bed.
  • mom2kgirls
    mom2kgirls Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem-I would come home after a long day and sit with the family front of the TV, wind down and have a bad habit of eating dinner or snacks. The first thing I did was realized that when I eat healthy foods throughout the day the way I am supposed to that I am not so ravenous at night and my energy isn't so low! Skipping meals really set me up for a problem. I have changed my habits 360degrees on this. I still like to relax in front of the TV, but some things that have helped me include:
    1. Not eating dinner there -eating dinner at the table and then when finished brushing my teeth before I sit down to watch TV. Brushing your teeth gives you a clean taste and signals you are done eating.
    2. When I have been at my desk all day and am mentally agitated, I found that if I work out before I relax that sometimes helps destress me then I can relax better.
    3. I sit on the floor and do stretches while watching my shows instead of snacking. Focusing on my body helps keep me motivated to keep it healthy and not put junk in it!
    4. Sipping on hot tea or an icey low-cal smoothie (depending on the weather!) also help if I am thirsty and a little hungry.
    5. Keeping frozen fruit in the freezer for when I really want to snack. It's is hard to overeat frozen fruit! Eating it frozen is crunchy and cool and a little bit goes a long way.
    Hope these help!
  • 007spyder
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with eating out of bordom when you pick healthy choices over choices that can hurt you. Fruit is a good choice or a nice salad I ahve always been told that fruits and veggies fill you up not out! The worse feeling is puttingon your favorite shirt or pants and the buttons are straing to keep you in.

I keep pleanty of fruit on hand and now that the weather gets better I can ride my bike to the famres market and do some shopping and keep the good stuff on hand. Or take a drive and stop at all the fruit stands that dot the landscape in this state. I get to talk to local farmers that are proud of what they ahve accomplisehed and get good fruits and veggies. I want this for me so Ihave to make the righ choices. Only I can make this change, and with a little encouragement from my friends. It can be easy.
  • mzayed
    mzayed Posts: 27
    Options
    I have the same problem and find the tea or the lipton cup of soup (50 cals) or light how chocolate helps. GOod luck!
  • shugamuffin
    shugamuffin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I need help with this too. It seems that my hunger doesn't kick in until around 6pm and doesn't shut off till I force it too when I go to bed.

Geez, mine starts at 3:30 pm and doesn't shut off till bed.

I try not to keep junk in the house because if it's there I WILL eat it. I also try to drink a lot more at night (not alcohol! :wink: ) and it seems to help.

I like to think of my body as a 4 year old child. It's demanding and cries for things it shouldn't have. I just can't give in and eventually it will learn.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I find that doing something with my hands (knitting, crocheting, sewing, even folding clothes) while I watch TV really cuts down on the snacking. Since I joined MFP last week, I've planned earlier in the day what I will snack on when I get home from work at midnight--fresh fruit, veggies, raw almonds, or an OUNCE of tortilla chips, etc. I managed to shop this past week and NOT bring home any processed foods other than bagels and pastrami. Not having candy, chips, and crackers in the house makes it easier to eat healthy snacks.
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    I had the same problem-I would come home after a long day and sit with the family front of the TV, wind down and have a bad habit of eating dinner or snacks. The first thing I did was realized that when I eat healthy foods throughout the day the way I am supposed to that I am not so ravenous at night and my energy isn't so low! Skipping meals really set me up for a problem. I have changed my habits 360degrees on this. I still like to relax in front of the TV, but some things that have helped me include:
    1. Not eating dinner there -eating dinner at the table and then when finished brushing my teeth before I sit down to watch TV. Brushing your teeth gives you a clean taste and signals you are done eating.
    2. When I have been at my desk all day and am mentally agitated, I found that if I work out before I relax that sometimes helps destress me then I can relax better.
    3. I sit on the floor and do stretches while watching my shows instead of snacking. Focusing on my body helps keep me motivated to keep it healthy and not put junk in it!
    4. Sipping on hot tea or an icey low-cal smoothie (depending on the weather!) also help if I am thirsty and a little hungry.
    5. Keeping frozen fruit in the freezer for when I really want to snack. It's is hard to overeat frozen fruit! Eating it frozen is crunchy and cool and a little bit goes a long way.
    Hope these help!

I REALLY love the idea of doing some stretches while watching the TV! I think I could even lift some weights!

Over the past few weeks I have found a new addiction to frozen fruit and smoothies at night! Thanks for the suggestions!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of fitness equipment in the TV room, a mini trampoline, an elliptical trainer, and a jump rope. Doesn't always mean they get used, but it's helpful at times! I also try to log out & "end" the day food-wise by 7 p.m. After that, I allow myself water and iced tea with sweetener. That really helps to have something rather than just totally cutting yourself off. Good luck!
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    Well it's 8:30pm and..........

No snacking! :)

I ate dinner (healthy and veggie filled)
    Cleaned the kitchen
    Did laundry
    walked the dog
    Did some stretching and weight training by the TV
    Brushed teeth

now it's time to log my food diary for the day...only water and herbal tea for the remainder of the evening!

Thanks for all the suggestions and support...got some smarty motivated people out there! :)