How much Protein a day?

Options
I have been told that you should have 1g of protein for every lb. So if you weigh 150 lbs, you should have 150g of Protein a day, but MFP gives me like 1/2 of that...what is right? Also should I up the Protein on the days I do excercise and not as much on the days I dont, or visa-versa?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 10-30% protein is part of a balanced diet but you should be on the higher end it you do resistance training. MFP gives you 15% so up to double would still be a part of a balanced diet.
  • lorirogs
    lorirogs Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I heard you take your weight x by 0.4 = your protein a day.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    you should be eating about half your weight in protein. if you are 150, then 70-90 grams should be enough. If you are working out a lot, add 10-15 grams to that. I personally eat about 120 grams a day, sometimes even 140, because I don't eat bread, pasta, and rice, so I need more protein to fill me up and keep me satiated. On days I don't workout I'm usually satisfied with 90 grams.
  • emjohnson77
    Options
    The recommendation is 0.8 g/1 kg body weight. So if you weigh 150 lbs then you should eat roughly 54 g of protein.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    There really is no such thing as too much protein unless you are scooping up road kill on your drive home.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Anywhere from 10-30% protein is part of a balanced diet but you should be on the higher end it you do resistance training. MFP gives you 15% so up to double would still be a part of a balanced diet.

This one. I go 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat. Seems to work for me.
  • AbbydadNI
    Options
    There are a ton of different fitness plans out there to follow. if you are working out and trying to put on lean muscle than you can eat as much as 50% protien a day with 30% carbs and 20% fat. i have done this in the past and found it hard to eat that much protien. (picture eating 4-6 chicken breast a day) In most cases, you are good eating 50% carbs, 30% Protien and 20% Fat. i have been very succesful in the past with that ratio.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for protein is 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight. The RDA increases by 30 grams per day during pregnancy and 20 grams per day during lactation. On average, teen boys require between 45 and 53 grams of protein daily while teen girls require between 44 and 46 grams of protein daily. Adults who lift heavy weights or partake in active strength resistance training require slightly greater amounts.

To help you calculate your specific needs, copy and paste the following link:

http://www.calculatorslive.com/Daily-Protein-Intake-Calculator.aspx

All the best to you.
  • dalbers
    Options
    I agree with the guy up top.

There really is no such thing as to much protein. Protein is all kinds of awesome.

Please consider the daily protein suggestions as MINIMUMS not MAXIMUMS.

I personally think we have the whole food advice thing wrong. We should list carbs as a maximum daily allowance and protein as a minimum, not the other way around.
  • emjohnson77
    Options
    •Too much protein and not enough carbohydrates can cause ketones to collect in the blood (ketosis). People on high protein diets, such as the Atkins diet, are told that by being in constant ketosis they can lose weight because this forces the body to burn fat for energy. However, ketosis is dangerous because it can cause mild dehydration by placing a burden on the kidneys. Besides kidney problems, side effects can include headaches, dizziness, confusion, fatigue and nausea. Excessive protein in your diet also increases the risk of osteoporosis because of limited calcium intake. It also results in more acidic blood because when acids break up and enter the blood, it makes it acidic, disturbing the pH level.
    An imbalance of extreme amounts of protein and not enough carbohydrates usually leads to less fiber, resulting in constipation. This can lead to hemorrhoids, polyps and even colon cancer. Other conditions include heart disease, diabetes and obesity.
    Hypertension (high blood pressure) can likewise be an effect of too much protein. Athletes who eat excessive protein don't perform as well due to the depletion of glycogen because of the body burning energy. Eating too much protein from fatty animal foods gives you too many high-fats, meaning added calories and weight gain. When you eat saturated fats, as well as transfats and cholesterol in foods, you increase the bad LDL cholesterol and the total level of cholesterol. When this happens, there's a greater chance of heart disease.

Read more: The Effects of Too Much Protein in the Diet | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_4741143_effects-much-protein-diet.html#ixzz1E4BfdMvx