Anyone recovering from being very underweight?

Options
Hi, i don't want to offend anyone who is dieting and trying hard to lose weight, but recently i dieted to an extreme and made myself very ill, i think this site might help me hit my target weight and if anyone has any tips or good healthy weight gain foods i will be very appriciative of your help :) i'm still very young and have been very stupid :( now i just want to get healthy and happy again :) xxx

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will find lots of support here. There are people on this site looking to lose, gain and maintain. You can even search the message boards and see what you can find. And you aren't stupid. What you see on TV and in magazines can give a very disturbing view of what is considered healthy.

Good luck to you and congrats on figuring things out while still young.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Not sure about how to gain weight in a healthy manner, but I just wanted to commend you on making the change. Over and Under weight are both unhealthy. So that's good you realized that you were not being healthy! I'm rooting for you to gain weight! LOL...I know that sounds weird, but in your case that's my cheer!!!!!
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am sure this site will be very helpful for you! Good luck on your journey
  • rebecca1obester
    Options
    It is a great thing that you recognized the destruction that can have and now you are moving in the right direction! Congratulations.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I was very low in high school... weight has always been an issue for me because of family influence. My mom has been overweight since I was small and she was very obsessed about it. That rubbed off on me. Although I have never been seriously overweight, the thought of it scares me.
    This site helps me from the binge and starve cycle that I was on and keeps me much more even and a lot more healthy. Hopefully I won't pass on my problems to my daughters!
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This is a great site for you!!! MFP is tool to help you make good decisions and a gentle reminder to have a few nuts. One day I sat at the computer at the end of the day and was under my minimum calories so keep eating and recording my eating nuts until I hit my quota. Nuts, nut bars and avocados are a great way to sneak in those cals when you don't want to eat or feel full. Be happy with skinny you and give your body time to adjust as you make healthy choices and decisions.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    Bless you. I was stupid when I was younger and did the over-exercising/undereating thing too.

Now I'm too far the other way!

The best advice I can give you is to not get too bogged down in numbers. Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full. Eat well and trust your body to find the right weight for you. It should know what to do.

Be kind to yourself.

Good luck xxxx
  • DPruneda17
    DPruneda17 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I think it's great that you recognize that you went over-board. Good for you that you are trying now to get to a healthy weight. Good luck to you!
  • DebbieHarryxxx
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your support everyone :D your all so lovely, and very good advice about not concerntraiting on numbers too much, i am just trying to eat meals and nuts and cheese and stuff, but annoys me that the doctor keeps telling me to keep a food diary and stuff, i kind of understand why, but it makes me feel like i'm obsessing about food in another way if i do that? ahh well just as long as i'm gaining im happy :) xxxx
  • MrswhoIusedtobe
    Options
    My little sister had a problem with keeping food down due to anxiety, she was a mere 88lbs at 5'3''. Her Doctor suggested that she drink boost protein shakes, they are really good for you. I tried one, I had to mix it with milk because it's a thick texture but they are tasty.
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    Though not at the extreme that you are, i understand completely where you are coming from. For my size and frame I have lost too much and have become too bony. But im also torn between putting muscle mass back on to be healthy and the fear of getting fat. What i've found works for me is very high protien diet-greek yogurt, beef jerky, muscle milk light after strength training, ect- to give the body what it needs to build the healthy muscle needed. start off light with a well rounded strength training work out but dont over do it- remember your doing it to build muscle not burn calories.