Shirataki noodles (miracle noodles)

Options
Do you order these online? Are these sold in stores? If so what stores and what section of the stores? Organic? or with the rice and noodles?

I tried to order the sampler pack on line but they are out for a week. Interesting. I will try anything once. I thought they were pricey, are they worth the price?

Thanks in advance for your response and have a wonderful day!

Replies

• nurse_jenie
    Options
    I bought a box on ebay for 40.00. I tried them but could not get past the texture. I found them to be really gross.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm with Jenie. I bought some from Whole Foods, and, when I took them out of the package, they smelled like FISH!? Even after washing several times. I couldn't get past the fish smell, so the dish I made got thrown in the trash.

If you really want to try them, I found them along with the other tofu items.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    I buy them at my local grocery store. I found them in the meatless section where the tofu and tempeh and stuff are. I think they're disgusting! The smell is horrendous and the texture is awful. My friend really likes them, though.
  • stir fry em :) super tasty! theyre cheap at asian stores and if you put sriracha, curry, some sort of thicker sauce with super firm marinated tofu or meat and lots of veggies it's good! just make sure you rinse them more than once, use a thicker sauce and dry them completely.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I've heard of them but have yet to try them. I would look in the refridgerator section by the tofu.

PS: I read on Wikipedia that to get rid of the smell they need to be rinsed and dry roasted in a pan until they 'pop'.
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    You should be able to purchase some brand of Shirataki noodles in a local grocery store. Just buy one bag (about $2.00) and give 'em a try. I eat them maybe once a week. They are very, very low calorie and can be a good substitute for noodles. They do have a different kinda texture, but they don't really have a specific taste. I've used them for veggie/chicken stir fry and also marinara sauce/chicken. Worth trying but pricey.
  • SamsGonePaleo
    Options
    I got them at Shaws Supermarket, they were awesome ! I don't like them alone but I make them and add a Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedge and Tomato Paste, SO GOOD ! They come in many different kinds, I get the angle hair kind and it comes in a bag in the refrigerated tofu section !
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    asian markets are the cheapest place, about 1:50 for a normal bag and 2 bucks for a HUGE bag, It takes some experimenting, i would give it atleast two tries before you decide you hate them...
  • faithy22
    Options
    I rinse them for a very very long time (15 min minimum) and then dry them completely before boiling them for 3 min (followed by drying them completely again). The texture is a bit rubbery but if you cut them into smaller pieces it's not as noticeable. I bought mine from miracle noodle.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    asian markets are the cheapest place, about 1:50 for a normal bag and 2 bucks for a HUGE bag, It takes some experimenting, i would give it atleast two tries before you decide you hate them...

I agree about the Asian Markets. Whole Foods has them as does Harris Teeter. I have picked up Spinach Shirataki Noodles (@ Harris Teeter I think) and those seem to have a bit more flavor. You definitely want to rinse them first and blanch them for a bit.

I completely agree about experimenting with them. I personally think they work better in oriental dishes as a replacement for rice than in pasta dishes, and as someone else already said, a stronger, heavier tasting sauce works better with them. But that's just my opinion...
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of these - what is supposedly so "miraculous" about them (and yes I'm already skeptical)??
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,384 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will try anything once or twice! If I did not do this I would not be eating half of the veggies and stuff I eat now. I will look for them the next time I am in the store. I hope Trader Joes has them.
  • RMinVA
    Options
    I've never heard of these - what is supposedly so "miraculous" about them (and yes I'm already skeptical)??

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/shiratakinoodle.htm

An entire small bag only has 40 cals...would be about 400 for the same amount of pasta.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    SO not a fan. I'd rather opt for a whole wheat or plus type pasta than try Shirataki again. Slimy, smelly....sorry. Just not a fan.
  • missjboone
    missjboone Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl uses these in her recipes ALL of the time. you can find them on www.hungrygirl.com. just search for tofu shirataki noodles, and there's a ton of recipes :)
  • RMinVA
    Options

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/shiratakinoodle.htm

An entire small bag only has 40 cals...would be about 400 for the same amount of pasta or rice.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I've tried the tofu ones, made by House Foods I believe. I couldn't smell anything funny at all when I opened them. And I looked for a smell specifically because I'd read that they smelled bad. I rinse them well, and parboil for 2-3 minutes. The more thoroughly you dry them, the more real noodle like they are. I've used them in asian style peanut chicken dishes, and also w/veggies stir fried with some seasonings and parm cheese and they were delish. I'd like to try the miracle noodle brand, but have only been able to find them online, and prefer to try a single pack rather than several.
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Bought them in the refridgerated part of a local health food store. I thought 40cals for a whole bag was AWESOME until I opened the bag (weird smell) and I "cooked" them. My husband and I couldn't stand the texture. We also tried some by Wildwood, also not very tasty...

::giggles:: My husband saw some in the sink that I lost while draining the bag, he though they looked like silk worms!

Then again, it might be a mind over matter thing. We love noodles, but the calorie "cost" is too much....
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've tried the tofu ones, made by House Foods I believe. I couldn't smell anything funny at all when I opened them. And I looked for a smell specifically because I'd read that they smelled bad. I rinse them well, and parboil for 2-3 minutes. The more thoroughly you dry them, the more real noodle like they are. I've used them in asian style peanut chicken dishes, and also w/veggies stir fried with some seasonings and parm cheese and they were delish. I'd like to try the miracle noodle brand, but have only been able to find them online, and prefer to try a single pack rather than several.

Maybe we'll try it your way (rinsing, boil, dry). Third times the charm?

Manda
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    They sell them at Whole Foods. You can buy one bag and try it out. You need to sock the noodles to get rid of bad flavor. The texture is tough for some people and some don't like the flavor. I have baked noodle pudding (kugel) with them and people couldn't tell they weren't regular noodles. Maybe I should make that soon, yum. Overall, though, I like Dreamfields pasta (doesn't affect blood sugar the way regular pasta does)