Slow/No Progress

Options
I started trying to lose weight at the beginning of January, and since then have gone from 157.5 to about 149.5. I was constantly seeing a difference on the scale, and the weight kept coming off each week. Now, for the last couple weeks it seems like I've just kind of been hanging out at about 149 to 151lbs. I've been trying to watch what I eat, although I know I'm not always eating the best stuff for me and I've been doing the 30 Day Shred (pretty much since I stopped losing weight) My diary is open so if anyone has any suggestions on diet or exercise I would appreciate it. Also, I did some measurements about 5 days ago, so I don't really know if there has been much change there or not.

Replies

• kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The first ten pounds come off pretty quickly and a lot of it is water weight. After that, it gets harder to lose. Since you don't weigh that much to begin with, it may only be 0.5 to 1 pound a week, but keep in mind that losing weight that slow makes it maintainable.
  • courtrptr13
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I've lost 8 lbs since around the middle of January and it seems to be coming off sooo slowly. I've been working out and eating better and doing it in a way that I feel I can maintain as a lifestyle change, not just dieting to lose weight and then go back to eating the way I was so it will all come back again. I also think when you don't have a large amount of weight to lose, it comes off slower, but I know it's frustrating. I'm anxious to see what other ppl's responses are.
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when I started the 30 Day Shred. I continue to stay within my calorie allotment and after about two weeks I started back losing. Patience may be the answer.
  • katebjones
    katebjones Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well.. It looks like you need to prob add more leafy greens... i know this is my problem currently.. i need to be eating more veggies. Also i noticed that your calorie amount is lots higher then mine.

lm 182 lbs my goal is to lose 1.5-2lbs per week and i get to eat 1200 calories each day. i have a desk job but may be if you lowered that..

when i was at a plateau before on Weight Watchers it was because i wasnt eating enough protein and i had too much sodium in my diet.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about slow weight loss. That's actually a great and healthy way to lose weight.

As for stalling, there's nothing that I can find wrong with your diary, so my guess is that--like some others have said here--you'll just have to be patient for awhile to see if the weight loss starts up again. I bet it will. :)

If not, you may have hit the infamous plateau. In that case, try searching up "weight-loss plateau," and you'll find a lot of ways to get past it. Some of those include increasing your calorie intake for a day, switching up your exercise routine, adding strength training, etc.

I found this article pretty helpful:

http://www.answerfitness.com/208/weight-loss-plateau-tactics-overcoming-weight-loss-plateau/
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am in the SAME boat too!!!! Its REALLY frustrating, lost 6lbs week 1, then another 2 lbs week 2, 1 lbs week 3, then I gained and have been gaining and losing the same damn pound - pound 1/2 during week 4 to 4 1/2, REALLY irritating...

I even went back through my exercise and food logs to see if I could find something significant. The ONLY thing I found was that in the last week and a half I am increased my calories burned quite a bit... First couple weeks I averaged 320 cals burned a work out, now its more like 420-550 a workout, but I am compensating by eating more so it shouldnt REALLY make a difference you'd think...

Someone said I am working out too much, :huh: is there even such a thing when you are trying to lose weight? 6 days a week, is that really TOO much?!?!?!?!

Uhhhggg :sad:

Sorry, didnt mean to turn your post into all about me, but I totally feel you....
  • katebjones
    Options
    also.. i notice when i have too much dairy or any milk when im trying to lose.. the weight doesnt come off as well. my blood type is 0+ so anyways.. find out your blood type.. and look up good foods for your blood type.
  • Amajoy
    Options
    also.. i notice when i have too much dairy or any milk when im trying to lose.. the weight doesnt come off as well. my blood type is 0+ so anyways.. find out your blood type.. and look up good foods for your blood type.

Hmmmmmm.... This is interesting.... I have also up'd my dairy in the last week too (started puting 2 TBS of FAGE total 0%) in my breakfast shakes.... I wonder if thats part of my problem... I am O negative BTW...
  • cmuman
    cmuman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stress is a big factor for me. You have to stick to the nutrition, stick to the exercise, and just live life. I find that stress will put my body into a survival state. If you have negative caloric intake and good exercise, the weight will come off.
  • katebjones
    Options

Hmmmmmm.... This is interesting.... I have also up'd my dairy in the last week too (started puting 2 TBS of FAGE total 0%) in my breakfast shakes.... I wonder if thats part of my problem... I am O negative BTW...

last year i did this weight loss challenge with my gym.. and the trainer and nutritionist was looking at food logs etc.. and look at milk yogurt labels. they have protein but lots of sugar.. then i read up on this diabieties book.. eating for your blood type.. and sure enough it says stay away from milk etc.. i think its because of the sugar in the milk. so when im really trying to lose i stay away from milk.. and when i drink it i have skim.. but anyways.. it doesnt work for me.

I was also told to make sure when you work out that you eat with in the first hour after your work out.
  • Amajoy
    Options
    I found this site if anyone is interested on reading more about eating for your blood type... http://www.buzzle.com/articles/eat-right-for-your-blood-type.html
  • katebjones
    Options
    I found this site if anyone is interested on reading more about eating for your blood type... http://www.buzzle.com/articles/eat-right-for-your-blood-type.html

Has the blood type thing explained anything to you?? Hope that helps!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    It seems like to me that because your stall in weight loss coincides with the start of a new intense workout regime that the answer is simple -- you're gaining muscle weight at the same rate you're losing fat... and that's good. You're still getting skinnier this way and your metabolism will be higher with more muscle. Who cares what the scale says if your clothes fit better and you look better? Just like weight falls off quickly when you start a new diet, typically when you start a new workout regime your muscles grow quickly. Just keep plugging away and I'm sure you'll see the results you wanted.

Get a tape measure and look for results in other places.
  • brit1329
    brit1329 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    That's really interesting about the blood type. I read a little bit about that but will look into it more. I had never heard of that I don't think.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far and encouragement. I guess I'm just worried that I'm putting in effort, but not doing it right and wasting time. I'm going to try to start adding more vegetables in my diet and check my measurements again soon. Maybe I just have to be more patient (which isn't one of my strong points :smile: )

Hopefully those of you that are in the same place I am can get some encouragement and ideas too. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, and hopefully my question can help some of you out too.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! I stalled for about 3 weeks, and it is really frustrating. I changed up my workout routine (which is also the 30-day shed) and I changed my eating habits. I decreased my soda intake to 1 a day and increased my water intake. I was only doing level 1 on the 30-day shed and now I do level 2 twice a week. I also gained weight when I first started doing the 30-day shed. Have you taken your measurements? You will see a difference in inches before the scale? If not, I would suggest you take them. Keep it up!! The scale will start moving again.
  • brit1329
    Options
    Don't give up!! I stalled for about 3 weeks, and it is really frustrating. I changed up my workout routine (which is also the 30-day shed) and I changed my eating habits. I decreased my soda intake to 1 a day and increased my water intake. I was only doing level 1 on the 30-day shed and now I do level 2 twice a week. I also gained weight when I first started doing the 30-day shed. Have you taken your measurements? You will see a difference in inches before the scale? If not, I would suggest you take them. Keep it up!! The scale will start moving again.

I took measurements 5 days ago. I checked again yesterday just out of curiosity and there were some changes in some places, but I don't know if it's real change or me just measuring differently (different place, pulling tighter, sucking in...) Thanks for the encouragement, I guess I just need to give it time. I've been doing level 2 since Feb. 5th (I had done level 1 for awhile but stopped when I got sick, so I just picked back up at Level 2) It doesn't help that I'm still wearing my maternity pants (I get depressed every time I go clothes shopping, and nothing seems to fit right) so I really can't tell any difference in how they fit. Although tonight I put on a dressier shirt I hadn't worn in a couple weeks and I swear it seemed like it fit better.

I've also decided to start planning out my meals better ahead of time so I don't have to always resort to frozen dinners for lunch.
  • brit1329
    Options
    So, I just kind of feel like giving up at this point. I took my measurements again today and there is no change (may have gone up on one of them actually) My clothes don't fit any differently, I don't feel any differently, and I don't think I look any differently. I think I was happier feeling like I looked bad and knowing it's because I wasn't doing anything about it. It sucks when I make myself work out each day and track every single thing I eat and not eat a lot of things I like, and feel like I still look really bad.

Is it possible that I need less calories? I'm sticking to about 1200 calories (sometimes a little less) but I just don't feel like it's working. And to top things off my husband tells me today that all my healthier dinners have made him lose weight and his previously tight pants now fit really comfortably. That's really great considering he's not working out at all, and eats/snacks all day long. I only drink soda once a day now (a month ago I could finish a 2-liter in about 1.5 days) and it's diet soda. I drink water all day long. Ugh, I'm just so frustrated tonight.