eat the exercise calories or not

Options
So am i suppose to eat them or not? I see mixed answers whenever i read other posts talking about weight loss.

Replies

• MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I personally vary. On the days that I'm hungry I eat them. If I'm not I don't. I figure I know my body better than anybody else, therefore, I'm the expert not some computer. I've lost each of the 5 weeks I've been here. I sometimes will have a huge amount left over, some days will be under by the skin of my teeth lol.
  • ErinLauren
    ErinLauren Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I dont at all. But thats just me. Its working though. I have been on here since the second week of Jan and have lost 26 pounds on here and an additional 10 before starting here. Check out my menu. The weight is just falling off for some reason. Whatever it is I am doing is working. Try it!
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    YES!!!

MFP automatically figures out exactly what you need to eat to meet the minimum 1200 calories per day JUST TO LIVE.

If you do not eat back your exercise calories, you are STARVING YOUR BODY!

I know people get on here and say things like "it depends on how you feel" or "it doesn't matter."

But it DOES MATTER.

You need 1200 net calories per day in order to survive and to burn fat.

So say you start out the day with 1200 calories.

Then you exercise and burn 300 calories.

But you only eat those 1200 calories.

That leaves you with only 900 NET calories.

Which means you need to eat an additional 300 calories in order to repair your body, burn fat and keep your body from going into starvation mode.

If you really do want to lose the weight AND keep it off, you need to eat back those calories.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    So am i suppose to eat them or not? I see mixed answers whenever i read other posts talking about weight loss.
    I eat back most of them because I need the extra fuel for my workouts. If you're uncomfortable with that, consider eating back a percentage of them.
  • dalbers
    Options
    The caloric goal is net, meaning Intake subtract output = caloric goal each day.

If you do 1000 calories of exercise you should eat that much extra.

The problem:

Most people over estimate how many calories they burn and under estimate their portion sizes. This double ended effect can really sabotage you.

A heart rate monitor, kitchen scale and measuring cups will keep you honest. After a while you will have mastered portion sizes and will know how many calories you are burning based on experience backed by real numbers.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I dont at all. But thats just me. Its working though. I have been on here since the second week of Jan and have lost 26 pounds on here and an additional 10 before starting here. Check out my menu. The weight is just falling off for some reason. Whatever it is I am doing is working. Try it!
    Please don't take this wrong, but the reason it's working is because you appear to be starving yourself. That weight loss is going to come to an abrupt halt very soon.
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    YES!!!

MFP automatically figures out exactly what you need to eat to meet the minimum 1200 calories per day JUST TO LIVE.

I know people get on here and say things like "it depends on how you feel" or "it doesn't matter."

But it DOES MATTER.

Which means you need to eat an additional 300 calories in order to repair your body, burn fat and keep your body from going into starvation mode.

If you really do want to lose the weight AND keep it off, you need to eat back those calories.

What she said :) I agree 100%
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    YES!!!

But it DOES MATTER.

Thank you.. exactly what I was gonna say.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The caloric goal is net, meaning Intake subtract output = caloric goal each day.

If you do 1000 calories of exercise you should eat that much extra.

The problem:

Most people over estimate how many calories they burn and under estimate their portion sizes. This double ended effect can really sabotage you.

A heart rate monitor, kitchen scale and measuring cups will keep you honest. After a while you will have mastered portion sizes and will know how many calories you are burning based on experience backed by real numbers.

I agree! You should at least be entering in your age and weight into the cardio machines if you don't have a heart rate monitor. Those machines are based on an average and you might be above or below depending on your body. I also love love love my kitchen scale - everyone who is serious about losing weight should have one!
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    YES!!!

But it DOES MATTER.

Exactly what she said!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Actually, I could eat 1600 calories a day and not gain a pound or lose for that matter. 1200 calories is the minimum your body needs in order to not go into starvation mode. If you eat 1200 calories and you feel satisfied and energetic you do not need to worry about eating your calories from your workout. But, if you start to feeling tired, you may want to up your calories to help fuel your body. I normally eat all of my 1200 and then I have a protein shack before I work out. If I feel good, I am not going to waste the calories I burned. I am just going to let it burn the fat on my body. Just be sure you eat a well balanced meal.
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/174065-starvation-mode-is-real-and-ugly

Please read this post from another MFP member....this should clear up any questions you have about if this is a serious subject or not.
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options

Please don't follow this diet....if you want to starve yourself you go ahead but please don't try & convince others that you are following any of the ethics & values set by this site...no way