Rash around the mouth?

Options
I started fitness boot camp about 3.5 weeks ago. It's really dry and cold in Utah, so when I got a little dry area above my upper lip, I thought it was just dry lips, so I just slapped on some lip balm and didn't give it another thought.

Until it didn't go away. And it got worse.

It burns all day long and feels dry all day long and it has traveled down the sides of my mouth and into the corners of my mouth. It hurts and it bothers me ALL DAY.

I am sure it is just from the sweat and the bacteria but I just want it to go away. The dryness is the worst part.

Anyone experience that? What did you do to solve it? I can't do steroids like prednisone pills or cortisone creams so I need another solution.

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Corticosteroids aren't recommended for use on the face anyway.

I hope you've consulted your doc...

I get super dry skin during the winter. My hands split and crack so bad they will bleed. I have tried everything and what seems to work for me is washing my Hans with cold water, avoiding harsh soaps like dial, and constantly applying lotion. I have found the Nutrigena Body Oil works best on my arms and shoulder, and Norwegian hand cream on my hands. I think its Norwegian? I'll have to double check that later.

Your doc should be able to put a stop to that before it gets worse.
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I got my liped pierced and from washing it with soap and water all the time my lip dried out really bad sound like the same thing burned , itched everything like that what i used was carmex worked really good
  • Melisha82
    Options
    My skin started to peel and itch so bad under my lips!! I got some microdermabrasion sheets and did it 4-5 times a week and it seemed to remedy the problem by the time my package ran out :)
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Would definitely see your doctor. Sometimes these things can be as simple as vitamin deficiency but I think you should get it checked out since it's getting worse.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your oral hygiene products lately? I switched from crest pro health to arm & hammer and I broke out just like that. Or you may need to switch moisturizers. That's my thought :o)
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Definitely recommending a doctor before it gets worse.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I have had something similar to that and I used Neosporin with pain relief. That had mine gone in no time.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if it's a yeast infection of some sort...I'd get it checked out...
  • noiinteam
    noiinteam Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    might be impetigo... usually ugly and spreads. you will need to see a doctor b/c tx is not over the counter however it is just an ointment to treat. keep in mind impetigo is contagious. google it and see what you think. good luck
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Go get it check out by a Doctor - doesn't sound to good...hope its not a STD.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I can safely say that I DO NOT have impetigo, which I am really really glad for!

It actually feels and looks a lot like wind burn. I don't know if y'all have experienced that, but that's how I would describe it.

I showed it to my doc at onset and he told me to let it play out.

And for those who keep crying STD, it is most definitely NOT an STD. I am happily engaged and monogamous and he is as well. And I am sure some will say "are you sure?" but since he's in the military and they regular Pop Test these guys for everything from AIDS to Diabetes and STDs, YES, I AM SURE it's NOT an STD.
  • noiinteam
    noiinteam Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    when i suggested impetigo... it was not an insult by any means. i worked in pediatrics for 15 years and it is very common. my hubby gets wind burn when snowmobiling.... aquaphor by eucerin....good luck
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Iron deficiency is a possibility...often manifests around the mouth. Are you taking in enough iron, especially important to consider if your periods are heavy.

It could well be just the cold and now its started its hard to get on top of.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if it's a yeast infection of some sort...I'd get it checked out...

This was my thought too. Thrush is an oral yeast infection in/around the mouth. Do you take any asthma meds? Or have you taken any antibiotics lately? These can change the pH balance in your mouth, causing Thrush.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Vaseline works for me... firefighters use it in extreme conditions. Use it before you go outside and whenever you can around the house/work.
  • amyoliver85
    Options
    when i suggested impetigo... it was not an insult by any means. i worked in pediatrics for 15 years and it is very common. my hubby gets wind burn when snowmobiling.... aquaphor by eucerin....good luck

Sorry...wasn't pointing to that as a possible insult. I looked it up and was really truly TERRIFIED by the photos. I feel so bad for kids who get that!
  • akapel
    akapel Posts: 10
    Options
    I second Aquaphor. My son has problems with really chapped lips and that's what we've found works the best.
  • ReadyMom
    Options
    Do you take fish oil? My son's lips would get really super bad in the winter until he I put him on fish oil now they don't get chapped at all. Good luck!
  • amyoliver85
    Options

This was my thought too. Thrush is an oral yeast infection in/around the mouth. Do you take any asthma meds? Or have you taken any antibiotics lately? These can change the pH balance in your mouth, causing Thrush.

Also confident I do not have thrush...I do not exhibit any of the required symptoms of thrush, like white spots, difficulty swallowing, etc. So I can be grateful for that as well.
  • amyoliver85
    Options
    Do you take fish oil? My son's lips would get really super bad in the winter until he I put him on fish oil now they don't get chapped at all. Good luck!

Thanks, I will definitely give that a try. My lips have been really really dry as well as has the area above my lip.

Thanks to all who've answered, but for MY SAKE, let's please stop conjecturing. I actually asked for advice from people who've experienced a dry burn after working out and not for conjecture about STDs, etc.