High Protein, Low Carb Breakfast Ideas

Options

Replies

• lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to low-carb and I have a quick question, how and when can cereal be low carb?? Can I still eat steel cut oats?? I usually have a serving of steel cut oats w/ 1/2 c no sugar added applesauce and 2 boiled eggs. I'd like to 1/2 my carbs and double my veggies.
  • roisinnuala81
    roisinnuala81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hi im on a high protein modified diet from the hospital, i am too fussy and fed up with eggs, so i know have a pink grapefruit only 8g carbs plus burns fat too good luck
  • dalbers
    Options
    Sorry, not having a blender is no excuse here. I got mine from the 2nd hand shop for 2 bucks. Trust me, its worth it. A new one is only 10 bucks and can whip up shakes without trouble.

Get a blender and breakfast becomes EASY. You will be very glad when you are drinking delicious shakes you make in 30 seconds flat.
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You dont need a blender for a protein shake!!! Get a "Blender ball" (aka, a cup with the metal mixer ball in it), add a scoop of protein, water or skim milk, and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE. Then you can just have your fruit on the side, maybe with some whole grain toast... I suggest Optimal Nutritions whey protein.
  • Kidsrn23
    Kidsrn23 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese and yogurt
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Protein shake (get a cheap blender on craigslist, freecycle, or a yard sale).

Cottage cheese with fresh fruit (especially berries) and a tablespoon of ground flax seed

Greek yogurt (eat LESS of this than the cottage cheese as it is very calorie dense)
  • christinarosebud
    Options
    I am trying these quiche muffins tomorrow!!!! Thnx!:laugh:
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    i'm in the same boat (well, i'm not lactose intolerant but i do hate cottage cheese). most of the high protein breakfasts have dairy items but there are some excellent products by vegetarian companies (my roomie is vegetarian) that have low cal, fairly low carb, and high protein options in the US. i'm sure the UK has similar items. also, the quick and easy microwavable sausage/turkey patties (suggested by another poster) is an excellent breakfast - i did that when i got bored of eggs.

it is definitely a good idea to get protein first thing in the morning!
  • fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat dinner leftovers for breakfast when I get tired of eating the same thing. I have eaten ground turkey with kale that is seasoned with spices or I have eaten a turkey burger for breakfast. It is filling and gets you going for the day with a lot of protein.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I am curious how low carb you are trying to stay for your day... I have been" low carbing" it for a while I eat under 100 grams on a high day, and under 50 on a low day. I eat most of my carbs before noon. I just wondered what your plan was here before I could offer any suggestions ?
  • fowlerly
    fowlerly Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    SOUNDS YUMMY POST THE RECIPE FOR YOUR CHOCOLATE BANANA SMOOTHIE
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have 2 tbs of oat bran + 1/4-1/2 cup of skim milk + 1/2c chobani 0% greek yogurt + vanilla and splenda to taste. Zap in the microwave ( add yogurt after). It reminds me of cream of wheat and is about 200calories
  • RoseRoiz
    RoseRoiz Posts: 95
    Options
    Bump
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    bump for more breakfast ideas for me too... I too have PCOS and doing LC... My diary is open to friends.. add me if you wish
    I do eggs and cheese most days some I add in some meat
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Throw some shredded cheddar on a hot skillet. It will get melty then crispy. Remove once crispy.

Then, throw in some canadian bacon, or even turkey bacon is good.

Meanwhile, spread some dijon mustard on the smooth side of the toasted cheese.

Layer bacon and a tomato slice in your 'sandwich' and enjoy! It's wicked tasty.

EDIT: Sry, just saw that you're lactose intolerant, although my brother is LI and he could still tolerate some aged cheeses, i.e., cheddar, swiss, provolone. But, maybe you're worse off than he was.

Here's another idea -- Make your own breakfast turkey 'burgers'. You could whip these up on Sunday and then just nuke 'em through the week!

Ingredients
    1 pound ground turkey breast
    4 teaspoons sugar-free pancake syrup
    1/2 teaspoon dried sage
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 large beefsteak tomato, cut into 4 slices
    4 (1-ounce) slices reduced-fat cheddar cheese (which you can omit)

Heat oven to broil.
    Combine turkey, syrup, sage, cayenne, salt, pepper, and ginger in a mixing bowl and mix well. Divide into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties.
    Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; cook patties until well browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat.
    Place tomato slices in a single layer in a baking dish; season with salt and pepper. Top each slice with 1 turkey patty and 1 cheese slice; broil until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite's...Muffin in a Mug....1/4 cup flax meal, 1 tsp. bking powder, 1 tsp sweetner, cinnamon to taste, 1 tbsp butter and 1 egg. Mix all in a coffee mug, microwave for 1 minute...MMMMMM...I have mine with cream cheese...peanut butter is also delish. Can find more info on the Atkins site.

I pour sugar free syrup on top of slices of MIM. Not missing pancakes so much.
  • Perdy64
    Perdy64 Posts: 22
    Options
    1/2 C Kashi Go Lean cereal + 1/2 C Green yogurt = 17 grams protein and 130 calories

Also

1 arnold's whole wheat bagel thin + 1/2 C fat free cottage cheese = 20 grams protein and 190 calories
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In case you want to try eggs but not scrambled.

6 egg whites,
    1 cup Spinach
    1/2 avacado (diced)
    1/2 tbs Hot Salsa

Make into an Omelette. Super super tasty. You can top with a little shredded cheese or leave as is.
    8g of carbs and 34g of Protein without cheese.