No Energy...

Options
Ever since I started working out regularly, I find myself to be physically tired all of the time. I do notice that I've been able to sleep through the night. I used to wake up throughout the night, sometimes every hour. But now when I wake up, I'm still tired. The only time I actually feel energy is when I work out. Any other time, I just wanna go to sleep or just feel sluggish. I take Vit D and B12 as advised by my doctor. I know I need to take a multivitamin, but they're often HUGE! I'm just hoping that once I get used to working out, I won't feel so tired. I'm especially afraid that if this keeps up, I'll lose my motivation to go to the gym because I really don't like feeling like a walking zombie. Did this happen to anyone when they started working out? Prior to this, my life was pretty sedentary. Any tips or advice or just words of encouragement would help me out. Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• foltzie22
    Options
    ya i feel the same way....i think most of mine is stress....how is your stress levels??
  • mikeylikesit1177
    Options
    try increasing your protein
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    definitely want to look at your calories and make sure you are not getting to many carbs and getting plenty of lean protein.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? At least at first, make sure you are eating all of them back and that they are evenly distributed throughout the day. I find when I feel exhausted lately, its because I got busy at work and skipped lunch ---- hence, no energy to get me through the day. Remember calories = energy.
  • apw75
    apw75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you are on any prescription medicines, you may want to check their possible side effects. I've been on a medicine for years now, and had extreme tiredness and fatigue, and when I started working out, it didn't improve. I found out that one of the side effects of the medicine was fatigue and tiredness, and exercise intolerance, so I just got permission from my doctor to discontinue it and see if it makes me feel better. It never occurred to me until just recently that a prescription medicine could be reeking such havoc on my body!
  • MrX8503
    Options
    If you have a strict sleeping schedule, but you still become tired from working out then it could be your diet. Check that you're getting enough nutrients, whether its macro (carbs, fats, proteins) and micro (vitamins).

Food is energy, if you're not getting the right foods you're not gonna have energy.
  • cflexen
    Options
    I think its fair to say everyone feels a lil tired but if you think its way more than average I suggest you look into a few things..sounds like you already consulted ur doctor. Maybe take a look at teh foods ur eating..r there too many carbs?? How much water do you consume?? Dehydration can cause you to feel fatigued and if you not getting enought H20 that may be a factor...especially since when most people wake up they r already a lil dehydrated in general because our bodies use water to flush out all the toxins n waste..and another thought...if your eating too much sodium in ur foods that can also be a contributing factor to your fatigue..I do agree with the other person(s) who suggested eating more protein.Just make sure its lean protein! Hope this helps!! :smile:
  • DoubleO7
    Options
    You say this has happened since you started working out?? It could be your workout!! First of all DO YOU LIKE YOUR WORKOUT? How do you feel AFTER you’re w/o? Do you feel tired? Is your muscle shaking? If you’re not enjoying you’re W/O this will put a stress on your system(body) and get you fatigue faster, try to find something that you love to do and DON'T OVER DO IT!!.

Why are you only taking Vit B12? Is there a reason why you’re not taking Vit B Complex? These B's Vit is for energy, you might be lacking this. Mg( Magnesium )is awsome to repair your muscle tissues after your W/O.

Also do add some protein in your main meals(B,L,D)

Hope this was helpful :)
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just started working out heavily about 3.5 weeks ago.

On week 2, I thought I was going to die because I was so exhausted I could barely make it through the day.

On week 3, I started out strong, but by Thursday, I was curling up under a blanket in my chair at work...no, seriously.

This week, and sorry, TMI, I am experiencing a very unexpected and unwelcome monthly visitor (since I take the pill straight through to avoid PMDD symptoms), I have done nothing but feel like I'm sooo tired I will never be able to get out of bed again, and yet, I do get out of bed.

I think it's just the normal thing that happens when you make a major change to your body. Maybe it's shock??? I mean...seriously...I know MY body is in shock! :-) :-)
  • HunnyLuvsJorge
    HunnyLuvsJorge Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to add more protein. Carbs are my weakness. I swear it's like crack and I'm definitely an addict! As far as the workouts go...I've never really enjoyed working out, but I'm learning to like it. I think I'm just trying to do too much too soon. Before this, I had a very sedentary lifestyle and I believe my body is in shock. I'm only taking B12 cuz that's what's the doc told me to do. I never questioned why not B complex. I have another appt next month so I'll ask her about that. I'm definitely learning about the whole "food is energy" motto. Yesterday, I was too tired to even eat and I've NEVER felt that way before. LoL I'm gonna also try eating at regular intervals. It's either I'm grazing throughout the day or I wait til I get that hungry feeling and then I consume way too many calories at one sitting, forcing me to have to work out extra just to work off the excess. I definitely have to learn the art of BALANCE. Thanks again!