What time...

Options
... do you eat your last meal? In other words, when do you really stop eating?

I tried once not to eat after 6, but that was pretty hard. Eating late is one of the biggest probs. I liked what I read somewhere about this: eating in the evening is not a prob, but uncontrolled eating is, cos once at home and relaxed you just eat and eat. The calories are the same, whether in the evening, or in the morning, but it is the amount of food that makes them a problem.

Well, curious what you people have to say on this. :smile:

Replies

• dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    ... do you eat your last meal? In other words, when do you really stop eating?

I tried once not to eat after 6, but that was pretty hard. Eating late is one of the biggest probs. I liked what I read somewhere about this: eating in the evening is not a prob, but uncontrolled eating is, cos once at home and relaxed you just eat and eat. The calories are the same, whether in the evening, or in the morning, but it is the amount of food that makes them a problem.

Well, curious what you people have to say on this. :smile:
  • Juliebean
    Options
    I eat waaaaaay later than I should. I usually have a snack before I work out and I work out in the evening so I think my last food intake usually happens around 8pm. But I don't go to bed until 11 or later... :yawn:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    There are two viewpoints on this one.
    One: eat nothing after 8:00 pm in order to lose weight... Oprah does this, along with other stars. They say it works.
    Two: Your body burns the same calories the exact same way at 8:00 as it does at 9:00 or 10:00 etc.
    There have been studies on both cases, Personally I agree with Case #2
    BECAUSE If you are STUFFING YOUR FACE because you know that after (Lets say.) 8:00, that you are not ALLOWED to eat anything that you may consume too many calories.
    But in answer to your question, I try not to eat anything afte 9:00ish, Because I do not want to go to bed full and risk the nasty Acid Reflux thing.
    --Diann...
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I usually try not to eat after 7 since I go to bed between 9-10. I would give yourself a couple hours before you go to bed.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I eat waaaaaay later than I should. I usually have a snack before I work out and I work out in the evening so I think my last food intake usually happens around 8pm. But I don't go to bed until 11 or later... :yawn:

Well, the aerobic and alike classes that I go to are after 6, so if I'd stop eating at 5, I'd be a vegetable in the evening. :laugh: I don't like working out late, but then again, it fits my working schedule very well.
  • bnlmembercb
    Options
    I keep pretzels on hand at all times. That way at night if I get hungry after dinner, I can have a relatively low calorie snack. Of course I always have it with a large glass of water too, to help fill me up.
  • LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    the rule of thumb is to not eat anything within 3 hours of bedtime. This gives your body the time to burn those calories instead of storing them in sleep.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't subscribe to those don't eat after...diets. My last meal is usually around 8pm when I get home from the gym. I have a little protien shake and if I am still hungry I have some nuts. Then tea before I turn out the light at 11pm.
  • piperelliott
    Options
    I 've personally found it difficult to not eat anything after 8PM. This actually got harder after I started exercising regularly. Since I started working out during the day this would tend to supress my appetite until I'd recover in the evening. Then I'd get hungry around 8PM. Argh!

Rather than fighting and losing that battle every day, I changed tactics and made sure I avoided bad foods when the appetite came on in the evening. Items such as a bag of the Curves Light Popcorn can fill you up and satisfy the urge for something savory (i.e. salty) but only add ~100 calories to your daily intake. The specifics may vary, but I really try to avoid fatty food at night and that's been working out pretty well so far.

Good luck!

:smile:
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I teach group fitness classes on a few nights a week.

Now... it's important to eat something following your workout to replenish the body of nutrients and get your blood glucose back up. So, that being said... if I'm teaching at night my last meal/snack could come as late as 9pm (but it's usually a protein based item w/some carbs).

There are many different theories about what is good for you.

When it comes down to it if you burn more calories than you take it you are not going to gain weight, even if the last of those calories comes shortly before bed. Don't undereat just to avoid eating late.