BMR...?!?!

Options
So on this website, my goals that MFP sets for me, say that I burn (without doing any exercise) 1700 calories a day and my goal caloric intake is set at 1200.

I am sure this is very common for most people using this website.

Well I was curious what the BMR on this website calculated, and so I entered my height/weight/age and it calculated that without exercising my body only burns 1394 calories....

EXPLAIN!

I have been working out and not losing weight, only inches. (which is great) but I was curious if this somehow was effecting my weight loss?

Replies

• yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think it is because the BMR is without doing anything-I mean-just laying in bed. So, you are naturally burning more than that when you get out of bed and move around and go about your day. That is where the other numbers come in-why you should list your activity level, etc.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I think it is because the BMR is without doing anything-I mean-just laying in bed. So, you are naturally burning more than that when you get out of bed and move around and go about your day. That is where the other numbers come in-why you should list your activity level, etc.

I guess I did overlook that little factor. thanks!
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is great. That means you are losing body fat and gaining muscle. Reason for no weight loss.
    Best of luck to you and your husband to be.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches, but not weight, that means that you are losing fat, and gaining muscle, resulting in being thinner, but not loosing weight. BMR being different from your calorie goal doesn't matter since BMR is just your caloric needs for laying in a coma and not doing anything. the 1700 is your BMR plus your activity level that you selected when you started. So subtracting 500 (which should, theoretically result in a pound of fat loss per week) gives you 1200 daily calories. Since muscle is denser, the pound of muscle you've built over the week is still smaller than the pound of fat you loose; you're thinner, just not lighter (yet).
  • Nemlein
    Nemlein Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It is also important to note that BMR is affected by activity level and diet... i.e., a more active person will have a higher BMR than a sedentary individual. There is some ambiguity in these calculators; everyone is a little different.
  • cesa1987
    cesa1987 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to this & trying to figure it out !

If someone is able to help me understand, please message me.

Thanks in advance :)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I am new to this & trying to figure it out !

If someone is able to help me understand, please message me.

Thanks in advance :)

the message boards are super helpful! I would suggest searching them for answers! if you dont' find an answer post a new topic!