New to site

Options
Marll
Marll Posts: 904 Member
Hi!

Just a bit about myself, I am a 33 year old man, 5ft 10in and started this year at 276lbs. People say I carry it well and are always shocked when we talk about weight. I think there is a lot of muscle under there somewhere ;). I used to be an athlete/bodybuilder in high school and maintained good shape in the military. I got out, gained 100lbs in less than a year because I quit exercising, but ate like I was still running 35 miles a week.

Used the Atkins diet to drop 110lbs, and kept that off for about 3 years, but didn't exercise and had a very stressful job. I'm a stress eater, and I got pretty big again, around 280lbs, but used the principals of the Atkins diet again (to a lesser degree) and dropped about 30lbs and stayed there for a while.

As I said, I started this year at 276lbs, and a bet of $200 with my oldest friend to lose 80lbs this year prompted me to get back on track (that and looking in the mirror!). He is about 335lbs, but also about 6ft 5in, so I have some work to do.

I started trying to exercise portion control and limit what I am eating in the way of sugars, carbs and incorporating more vegtables. I am down to 256 after about a month or so of monitoring my eating and doing P90X in the mornings. Just started Phase 2 and am determined to get through the full 90 days.

Some day I might even get down to a size 30 jean again (currently at 42).

Thanks for reading my rambling post!

Replies

• EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    WHERE YOU FORM YOU SOUND JUST LIKE ME. I HAVE A FEW TIPS THAT MIGHT WORK IF YOU WANT TO FRIEND ME AND IF YOU HAVE FACEBOOK IT MIGHT BE BETER TO TALK THERE
  • Inpjs66
    Inpjs66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

You will find a lot of answers here and GREAT support. I have gained over 20 lbs in the last 3 years and haven't been able to get under 150 until this site!

You will love it!
  • kelliehagan
    kelliehagan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, Marll!

I only started here about 2 weeks ago myself and have at least 40-50 lbs to lose--probably a bit more, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. My husband was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, so we're doing this together, although he's using a different program on his Blackberry.

I've been really accurate in tracking my eating, and I think this is a great way to learn about both portion control and also the components of different kinds of foods (carbs, protein, etc.). The longer I do it, the more balanced I'm keeping my intake. Not exercising as much as I should but try to get on the bike or walk at least a couple times a week.

Good luck!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in Seattle but have lived in the following places over the course of my life:

Tacoma, WA
    Issaquah, WA
    Neu Ulm, Germany
    Manhatten, KS
    Marysville, WA
    Granite Falls, WA
    Fort Sill, OK
    Redstone Arsenal, AL (Huntsville)
    Hanau, Germany
    Phoenix, AZ
    Everett, WA

My main goal is to get the weight off and then some and incorporate something like P90X and weight lifting into my every day life again. I used to lift weights close to 4hrs a day in High School (would even skip class to do it) and looked great. Now I just look fat LOL.
  • ricolla
    Options
    Hello,

My name is Nicole and I just joined yesterday. I've tried numerous times through my life to lose weight. I'm being realistic and setting small goals and in general trying to get this healthy lifestyle thing nailed down.

I've been obese my whole life and frankly I think I reached my limit. I'm my worst critic and I often try to hide it with self-deprecating humor.

I made a promise to myself to be kinder to myself and getting healthier is one of those ways.

So I look forward to "meeting" some of you and changing myself for the better.
  • snoopiegrl
    Options
    Hi I'm new to the site...joined a few days ago. My name is Nicole. I haven't always been overweight. I was skinny til about 21 then went downhill from there. Just turned 37 last month.
    I'm in need of some great motivation! I actually like to exercise, I just don't do it as much as I should but I love food and all the wrong kinds!
    Looking forward to meeting new people here and sharing my weight loss journey with friends!
    Add me if you would like! :flowerforyou:
  • ricolla
    Options
    Hello!

My name is also Nicole and I just started yesterday.

I've been fat all my life, and along with that I've also dieted pretty much since age 6. At this point in my life I just want to be healthy- or at least maintain my good health. Dr says I'm good, but I know at the weight I am my time is limited.

I'm starting with small goals because I have a long way to go.

A bit about me- from Ohio, amateur gardener, professional worker bee, sarcastic and self deprecating sense of humor but kind hearted and caring.

I look forward to this journey with you all!
  • Inpjs66
    Inpjs66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Nicole, you will succeed here, I did. I haven't been able to lose more than 2 lbs in the last three years until joining MFP.

It's sooooooo motivating.

Good luck and keep us posted.