Healthy ways to soothe a sore throat?

Options
What are some healthy ways to do this? My throat is feeling scratchy. Not sore enough for me to have problems swallowing but i really wanna avoid sugary cough drops..I've had some ruby orange juice (16-20 oz) nonfat yogurt, and an apple..anything else? tea perhaps? I have vanilla chai, green tea, orange spice, and peppermint..all 0 calories mostly decaff (except the vanilla one)

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    my mother in law always tells me to heat up some water and put some lemon in it, or honey.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I got neither.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    We get the vicks throat spray...works wonders!
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Gargle warm salt water. nasty but it helps. A good friend of mine swears by warm orange juice.
  • rachaels7
    Options
    I always use a teaspoon of honey. Hope you feel better soon!!
  • savimal
    Options
    Agree. Warm Salty Water Gargling, works wonders.

I tried the Halls Cough drops once (only one) and my sore threat disappeared next morning.
  • jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of tea when it comes to soothing sore throats :)
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yep, salt water gargle! It's old school but works wonders.
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    salt water gargle or peroxide and water gargle. I've also used honey in tea or my morning coffee (I saw that you didn't have it but that's what I use)
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Gargle with Listerine. Make sure it gets all the way back into your throat, but don't swallow. If the tingling in your throat is the onset of a cold or flu, Listerine will kill those germs. It may be strong, but it definitely works. I guess that's why it is an antiseptic. But it definitely works!!
  • Smiley68
    Options
    Lemon juice and water if its more of a strained voice or raspy. warm salt water gargle as stated previously. If there is any white patches or greenish secretions, see a dr, due to some sort of pathogen. If its from drainage from a cold, take an antihistamine to dry it up.
  • lightfc
    lightfc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    honey - it soothes a sort throat plus it is nature's antibiotic
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    As horrible as it sounds - it works perfectly - Gargle with Apple Cider Vinegar. I put 1/2 a shot glass with 1/2 hot water and gargle. I've suffered years with lost voice for no reason, and when I learned this trick, it's never been a problem for me again. I think it beat salt water IMO.

Another trick - Black licorice is good for a sore throat too, just suck on it. The whole foods stores typically have licorice lozenges.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Water or tea with honey

Also have to vouch for gargling salt water!
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You said you don't have any lemon. Do you have any of the Crystal Light (or other brand) To-Go packs you mix with water? I've always drank hot lemonade for a sore throat and it's worked wonders but is full of sugar. This year I've mixed the To-Go packs of lemonade with hot water and gotten the same relief. Feel better soon!
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    my doctor tells me to gargle with warm salt water...it feels great and no cal
  • jenh1101
    Options
    Gargle with salt water. It works and no calories!