Need help to stop the absent eating!

Options
I am finding that i eat or search for things to eat when i am not hungry. It's crackers or cookies or even cheese. I eat it even if it isn't what I want. I have seena nutritionist who gave me a chart to follow but no examples---doc says i need to exercise more----with 4 kids---how!
I jsut need to see if anyone has the same issue and if they have over come it too. I have tried eating fruits or keeping fresh veggies but they don't seem to do the job---what is the point of eating the good for you celery if you are going to load it with fat peanut butter?

Replies

• tessb84
    tessb84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    when you find yourself wanting a snack, go brush your teeth, it may sound stupid, but it works for me. Takes your mind off it, plus when you get done you have the taste of toothpaste in your mouth and lets face it, that does not mix well with anything.
  • NoMoreThickyMickey
    Options
    I wish I had and answer but unfortunately I do not. I also struggle with eating food with empty calories. I am a junkie for potato chips... As long I keep them out of my apartment, it's like out of sight, out of mind. But when I do get a bag, it's like "where have you been old friend?". Someone told me it's all in my mind, that there are snacks out there (such as the 100 calorie snacks). I have to learn to not eat when I am not hungry. Good luck to you dear...
  • ywellc
    Options
    Peanut Butter is a healthy snack, just don't eat more than 1.5-2 tbsp per day.

Also - chew gum or eat a dum dum pop. They have only 25 calories per pop.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I usually have a bottle of water, cup of coffee, or diet soda instead of eating. I've had to train myself not to eat unless I'm really hungry. You can do it, you just have to find the will-power to stop eating for enjoyment.
  • bbdzee
    bbdzee Posts: 35
    Options
    good idea! I have tried gum, but that made me thirsty. I already drink water all the time, occcasionally a glass of milk unless i get on a tea kick. only have soda about once a month, but it makes me feel bloated so I stick to the sweet tea if I am out. But the toothpaste idea should work---Thank you!
  • sarahpacheco
    Options
    I have the same problem! For me, it's boredom or procrastination that causes it. One thing that helps is making yourself drink a glass of water before allowing yourself the snack. Another thing I will do is give myself a time frame, say I have to wait 15 or 30 minutes before getting the snack. Usually, the water or the time will make you not want to eat or you will get distracted by something else to take your mind off food. It's really hard to stop the habit but if you're strict you will train yourself to not give in to those absent cravings!

Also, not having those foods around makes it impossible to eat them. But if you're like me when I give in, I just end up eating a little bit of everything and am still not satisfied. Try the tricks above and see if they work for you.
  • bbdzee
    bbdzee Posts: 35
    Options
    Thank you. I will try. My husband and kids get those snacks in their lunches. I guess they think they need them. Course not many kids will chose the veggies over the cookie---thankfully I only hit the peanut butter crackers today---after I had peanut butter toast! What is is with the peanut butter?
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    Using this site to track EVERY SINGLE CALORIE right before I actually eat the food has forced me to avoid eating when I'm not hungry.

If i find myself reaching for some chips, my habits force me to whip out my phone and add the number of chips I'm about to eat to my food diary, which in turn forces portion control.