To all my VEGGIE's out there...

Options
I am wondering how many of you are vegetarian?

What are some of your favorite dishes?

Any suggestions (besides "fake meats"), for foods to ensure you are getting enough protein everyday?

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I'm a no-meat-athlete! My favorite meal is mushroom casserole from 101 cookbooks.com

Feel free to view my diary for ideas
  • nachisdoll
    nachisdoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    quinoa!!!!:smile:
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I love indian curries (low cal and low sodium but lots of veggies!)

You can look at my diary, it's all vegetarian.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't an issue for me as a vegetarian - it's iron. I have recently started snacking on dry Cheerios to get 30% of my RDI of iron. Other good sources are spinach, sweet potato, and all the legumes. I like to make a veggie lasagna with loads of spinach. I alternate layers of wholewheat lasagna sheets, spinach, mushrooms, eggplant, tomato sauce and cottage cheese and top with low-fat mozzarella. Comes out to about 300 calories per serve and is very filling.

I have recently started experimenting with recipes from EatingWell.com. Their chickpea burgers are quick and very delicious and chickpeas are a good source of iron, as well.
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Although I am technically not a vegetarian, I don't eat beef, and I tend to prefer meatless meals in general. If you are looking for some quick and easy recipes, I like the Betty Crocker Easy Everyday Vegetarian cookbook. Of course, some of the dishes require "fake meats" but there are a ton that do not!
  • camp_teekay
    camp_teekay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello! I eat beans constantly, which is something I discovered since joining MFP. I actually get more than the daily recommended protein, so if anybody ever had any doubt about vegetarians not getting enough protein, I'm living proof that it's not true... and that's without even trying. so there!

We make veggie chili all the time (waiting for ours to be done right now). We also eat lots of quinoa mixed with veggies of all sorts. We make whole wheat pasta primavera (just toss a bunch of fresh, lightly sauted veggies in with hot pasta and hit it with a dash of parmesan... soup! soup is my friend, too. We don't really eat much fake meat; it's more of a treat. If you do eat fake meat, go for Quorn chicken naked cutlets. They are super high in protein, gluten free, and maybe 90 calories.

For v-day I made some bangin' garlic mashed potatoes: 5 red potatoes, 10 cloves of garlic (i love garlic more than most things), some fresh dill, a bit of salt and pepper, a splash of half&half and and 1/4 cup of skim milk. freaking delicious. leave the skin on - I don't peel anything!

I hope that helps. If you are vegan (I used to be but I got lazy) there are tons of recipes on vegweb.com, but look out as some of them are full of sugar and white flour anyway.

I have some recipes saved here. If i can figure out how to send them to you, I will.
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I love beans for protein, eggs, tofu! But definitely beans, they are so versatile. I make them with quesadillas, chick pea burgers, red beans and rice, "bean"balls