Good Info-Personal Trainer style

Options
Today was my first session with my new Personal Trainer, Amin. Granted the first meeting is mostly admin and basic get to know you and where you currently stand stuff, I'd say that I learned alot! So much so, I'm not even sure how to start with all the info, but I'll do my best!
Elliptical (and other cardio machines):
We really aren't being creative enough with these machines! They say that they replicate walking up a hill or running, but the truth is they don't. I learned that we have to manipulate the machines to get a truly good burn out of them! There's a little trick to get your caloric burn per minute UP (even during "rest" periods). I say "rest" periods meaning... ex: On the elliptical do quick start, go to level 10, resistance 10, do 1-2 minutes at a normal pace then do 15-20 seconds as fast as you can possibly go-then normal for 15-20 seconds-then as fast as you can. This changes your burn per minute from 2-4 to like 7 (even during the "normal" periods! To start do your first 10 minutes this way and then the rest as you would (you'll slowly work your way up to longer intervals and for more minutes!!
Strength Training:
We all know how important it is to do strength training right?? We need to build muscle to burn more calories--FAT DOESNT BURN CALORIES!! Not only does muscle help us burn more, but it also helps us become more lean. I'm pretty sure that's our goal here! You can easily make your strength training an an-arobic workout. Make sure with each station you are doing 3 sets of 15 and resting only 30 seconds between sets-Move swiftly to the next station. This does not mean that you shouldn't still be slow and controlled during your training!
The Scale:
We are all here with the goal to lose weight... right? While that's a good focus, we need to make sure that the scale doesn't run our lives. You can lose fat pounds, lose sizes/inches, and look great; but maybe the scale doesn't move!! Yes, it is very possible! Muscle weighs more than fat and if you are doing it right with a proper diet and workout routine you may need to go with the more physical changes that take place. That said, many of us will still lose weight as we are not yet at that healthy weight.
Food intake:
This is a hard one for me! I'm a food lover. I know what I like and I always figured I can eat anything as long as I workout to counteract it. I am WRONG, to say the least! It is extremely important to change our eating habits for life. We need less processed foods and more fresh/raw form foods. Lean meats, fresh veggies and fruits, whole grains, etc. I myself made a promise to cut out soda completely! That was a huge vice for me.
I will be entering my food intake on a 24 Hour Fitness log "BodyBugg" from now on. After a long questionnaire it worked out what my daily caloric burn is, my caloric intake, & my deficit/surplus. This will work together with my Personal Trainer and I to ensure that I am staying on track.
I'm very excited about my journey! Even more excited about all there is to learn and know that I am making myself a better and healthier me. Today, my husband even decided that he wants to not only support me on this journey, but join me as well! That is ALL the motivation I need!
Good luck everyone!

Replies