Seasonings and sauces

Options
I was just wondering everyones ideas on seasonings and sauces. Tonight I cooked with Balsamic vinigar does anyone have any other idea to flavor foods without alot of calories and sodium...:wink:

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Curry <3
  • akgrl1020
    Options
    I have been using recipes out of Cook This, Not That. Everything has been very flavorful!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I use this lemon pepper spice for chicken & also for salmon. It has no calories, no sodium.
  • princessmedic
    Options
    chicken broth seasoned with what ever you like...oh and the fat free zesty italian salad dressing works good as a marinade or even tossed into pasta.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash has some wonderful different flavored seasonings.
  • theresalizotte
    Options
    These are great ideas and some things for me to think about. Thank you:smile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I've discovered the Bragg line of products... organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Liquid Aminos, and Nutritional Yeast. http://bragg.com/products/acv.html More natural, less sodium. :bigsmile: I've found that most sauces and seasonings either have a ton of sodium, MSG, High fructose corn syrup, etc. I either make my own vinaigrette w/ olive oil and use the liquid aminos w/ the yeast to make a stir fry. Soy sauce is LOADED w/ sodium. BBQ sauces and ketchup have a ton of sugar. HTH!
  • thebuxompilgrim
    thebuxompilgrim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This doesn't really fall under "seasoning" but definitely under flavor. I like to take boneless, skinless chicken breasts and put them in a casserole dish with one finely diced onion and one finely diced red bell pepper. Add just enough chicken broth to cover (low sodium if you prefer - I use an organic product called Better Than Bouillon that comes in a jar and mix a spoon of it with hot water). Cover the dish with foil and bake at 325-350 for about an hour. Take it out and with 2 forks, shred the chicken and stir everything together. Recover with foil and return to oven for another 25-30 minutes. When you take it out there should only be a small bit of liquid left but tons of really moist, really flavorful chicken. You can eat it just as is or use in other dishes like enchiladas or casseroles.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Various curry blends form the Indian and Asian groceries (have to really watch for sodium) and I'm using a lot of ginger and garlic paste from the mediterranean grocery these days . No sugar, no fat, very low sodium.

I'm also a garlic girl. In our house garlic is more a food group than a seasoning! Whole raw cloves rubbed on the inside of a soup or salad bowl, chopped, smashed, baked, broiled, dried . . . garlic powder--no fear of vampires in our neighborhood!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Various curry blends form the Indian and Asian groceries (have to really watch for sodium) and I'm using a lot of ginger and garlic paste from the mediterranean grocery these days . No sugar, no fat, very low sodium.

I'm also a garlic girl. In our house garlic is more a food group than a seasoning! Whole raw cloves rubbed on the inside of a soup or salad bowl, chopped, smashed, baked, broiled, dried . . . garlic powder--no fear of vampires in our neighborhood!

I love garlic too!! The chili garlic paste is another favorite!!

Also, Mrs. Dash makes good salt free seasonings... lemon pepper, southwest, steak, chicken, etc.
  • theresalizotte
    Options
    Thank you so much that sounds delicious....