Kid friendly recipes???

Options
jamiesgotagun
jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
My kids eat pretty well and are not really picky compared to most kids I know (they both love fruit and veggies), but for some reason they don't like to eat what we make for dinners. Please help, want to stop cooking 2 different dinners!!

Replies

• AJs_mom
    AJs_mom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My kids eat pretty well and are not really picky compared to most kids I know (they both love fruit and veggies), but for some reason they don't like to eat what we make for dinners. Please help, want to stop cooking 2 different dinners!!

Thanks for posting! I'd be interested in what people have to say about this as well. My 6 yr old is a great eater. However, my 2 yr old seems to be going through I phase were he doesn't want to eat dinner - primarily meat. It's weird because the rest of the day he eats great! He only gives us grief at dinner time.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    my kids are the same way. The older one will actually try a bite, if he doesn't like it, fine he can have something else. But he has to at least try it. The younger one has to have it all separated, nothing mixed. So he gets all the same things, just not put together. But it's a rule they have to ate least try it 50% of the time, they actually like it!
  • katapple
    Options

Thanks for posting! I'd be interested in what people have to say about this as well. My 6 yr old is a great eater. However, my 2 yr old seems to be going through I phase were he doesn't want to eat dinner - primarily meat. It's weird because the rest of the day he eats great! He only gives us grief at dinner time.

I have a hard time getting my 2 year old to eat meat too! so frustrating! At two though, as long as they get one good meal a day with snacks, they will be just fine. I'm doing tough love with him. He has to at least try dinner, if he doesn't he goes hungry :/
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    ill be watching this thread. my oldest is picky- wont eat meats unless we very cleverly hide it. my boyfriend is VERY picky with veggies, and my youngest, will eat anything i put in front of his face! i make 2-3 different things for dinner quite often!!!!!
  • Belle_Fille
    Options

I have a hard time getting my 2 year old to eat meat too! so frustrating! At two though, as long as they get one good meal a day with snacks, they will be just fine. I'm doing tough love with him. He has to at least try dinner, if he doesn't he goes hungry :/

my doctor says its a texture thing. we talked to him about my daughter when she was 2 as well because she wasnt eating meat. he said it was a phase that many kids go through at this age and shed come out of it. but she turns 4 the beginning of april and she still gives us trouble! but its something to keep in mind
  • AJs_mom
    AJs_mom Posts: 64 Member
    Options

We have gotten to the point that if he doesn't eat his supper (the 2 yr old), no dessert (as it should be). Myself, hubby and oldest will all have dessert together. The little guy just sits there and watches us all eat.... Sometimes I don't even want dessert, but I feel like I have to make a point with him that if you don't eat your supper you miss out. He's stubborn though. Lately he hasn't even flinched at missing out on dessert - even the super chocolately cake we had for Valentine's Day!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I cook dinner.

If they don't like it, they don't have to eat. lol. I guess I'm old fashioned this way. I'm not a short order cook. Dinner is served. Eat or go hungry.

LOL I'm a mean mom...

If the kids don't want to eat meat, then don't feed them meat. My girls are vegetarian (oldest since birth, youngest since last month)) and they are healthy and thriving.
  • jamiesgotagun
    Options
    I cook dinner.

If they don't like it, they don't have to eat. lol. I guess I'm old fashioned this way. I'm not a short order cook. Dinner is served. Eat or go hungry.

LOL I'm a mean mom...

If the kids don't want to eat meat, then don't feed them meat. My girls are vegetarian (oldest since birth, youngest since last month)) and they are healthy and thriving.

Me and the hubby have been talking about that, I would assume they will figure it out after time and start eating!!
  • katapple
    Options
    I cook dinner.

LOL I'm a mean mom...

nope I agree, they eat what I cook :) Glad I'm not the only one!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The rule in our house is that if you don't like dinner, you get an alternate choice of whole wheat bread, applesauce or other kind of fruit and lunchmeat (daughter likes turkey balogna).

There have been some weeks that there was a lot of those things eaten, some weeks not. Seems to go in phases and gives kids a little control without making me cook a buch of stuff.

Hope this is helpful!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Well...I'm pretty mean to mine. She eats what I cook or starves. :noway:

BUT...I've been experimenting and my daughter loves anything cupcake shaped...it just seems more fun to eat. I've been posting lots of foods on my blog so I remember how to make them and to share, so your welcome to check some out. All of what I posted are usually things my family likes too.

Here are some that I really like

Meat loaf cupcakes
    180367_195464083803522_100000197965864_818591_7579193_n.jpg

Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/NeuroticVirgo/view/130-cal-fun-meatloaf-cupcakes-attempt-2-w-pic-65606

This is from hungry girl, but is lasagna cupcakes.

lasangacupcakes4_web.jpg

Link: http://www.hungry-girl.com/weighin/printable-recipe/65

I also like making eggplant Parmesan....but one time I didn't have Parmesan cheese and used regular shredded cheese instead and my daughter and her friend though they were mini pizzas. So that was kind of fun.

- First you peel the eggplant, then slice it into 1/2 in slices (so they are little circles). Then pour 1/4 cup of egg beaters original into a bowl. And about 1/2 cup of Italian bread crumbs onto a plate.

Dip both sides of the egg plant slice into the egg, then cover with bread crumbs, place on cookie sheet. Repeat till all eggplant slices are on the sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes on 400. (They will be a little brown). Remove, put on top either the lowest calorie spaghetti sauce you can find, or just crushed tomatoes. Usually about 1-2 tbsp per eggplant piece. Top with 1 tbsp shredded cheese, back for 5 more minutes.

I don't have any pictures for these ones, but they look like tiny pizzas.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

gotta say i am the same. my motto...this isnt burger king your way right away. I have never been a short order cook and I have never had a problem with my son eating what I make. Now that he is a teenager he eats what I make most of the time if not...he makes his own :)
  • jamiesgotagun
    Options

BUT...I've been experimenting and my daughter loves anything cupcake shaped...it just seems more fun to eat. I've been posting lots of foods on my blog so I remember how to make them and to share, so your welcome to check some out. All of what I posted are usually things my family likes too.

Here are some that I really like

Meat loaf cupcakes
    180367_195464083803522_100000197965864_818591_7579193_n.jpg

Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/NeuroticVirgo/view/130-cal-fun-meatloaf-cupcakes-attempt-2-w-pic-65606

This is from hungry girl, but is lasagna cupcakes.

lasangacupcakes4_web.jpg

Link: http://www.hungry-girl.com/weighin/printable-recipe/65

I also like making eggplant Parmesan....but one time I didn't have Parmesan cheese and used regular shredded cheese instead and my daughter and her friend though they were mini pizzas. So that was kind of fun.

- First you peel the eggplant, then slice it into 1/2 in slices (so they are little circles). Then pour 1/4 cup of egg beaters original into a bowl. And about 1/2 cup of Italian bread crumbs onto a plate.

Dip both sides of the egg plant slice into the egg, then cover with bread crumbs, place on cookie sheet. Repeat till all eggplant slices are on the sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes on 400. (They will be a little brown). Remove, put on top either the lowest calorie spaghetti sauce you can find, or just crushed tomatoes. Usually about 1-2 tbsp per eggplant piece. Top with 1 tbsp shredded cheese, back for 5 more minutes.

I don't have any pictures for these ones, but they look like tiny pizzas.

Will have to try those, the meat loaf ones look very interesting!!!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I cook dinner.

LOL I'm a mean mom...

Me and the hubby have been talking about that, I would assume they will figure it out after time and start eating!!

I will tell you that it makes your life a TON easier. They will resist in the beginning, but after a couple nights (if not only ONE night) of no dinner, they'll learn to love what you cook.

My mom had this rule and I thank her for it. I didn't run my parents' home and my kids don't run mine :) Good luck!
  • 4wildmonkees
    Options
    My younger two can be picky so I made them start helping me with dinner. Not everyday cause that would make me a little crazy, but usually on the weekend and maybe once during the week. They love chopping veggies (monitored by me) and they will actually try new stuff if they help make it.
    Their favorite thing right now is zucchini fries. We cut the zucchini like fries and dip in egg white and then a mixture of panko and Italian seasoned bread crumbs. We bake them and they are super yummy. My 6 year old asks for them several times a week.
    Other then letting them help, I only make one meal. They eat what I eat or they don't eat at all. It may sound mean, but if they are hungry they will eat.
  • ChristinaKY
    ChristinaKY Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My kids (4, 3 and 1 years old) like my home-made quesadillas. I just use cooked, torn apart chicken or some cooked shrimp and saute the meat with some finely chopped onions, green peppers, and red peppers (with some fajita seasoning added in for taste) in just a little bit of olive oil. When this is done, I empty this mixture on to a paper towel lined plate to pull away any extra oil. Then I get out the flat pan I use for grilled cheeses and such (a large frying pan also works just fine) and I spray it with a little butter flavored cooking spray and get it hot. Then I lay down the tortillas and sprinkle a little low fat shredded cheese on one side and then spoon the seasoned meat and veggies over that and close the tortilla over it. I let it brown one that side for a little, then flip it and let it brown on the other side. Then you are done. I cut the quesadillas into pizza like slices so it is easier for my kids to eat.

Another home-made favorite is pita bread pizzas. If you buy spaghetti sauce with tons of veggies in it to use in place of pizza sauce or marinara, it is better. I just use a variety of healthy toppings and cheeses. It make a cute and healthy little personal size pizza.

I also do home-made veggie soups and grilled cheese with low fat cheese and whole wheat bread and healthy butter alternatives.

I am sure I could figure out more, but some of the recipes are too long (like Thai Peanut Chicken with Brown Rice), but if you want to add me as a friend, I can share if you are interested.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I always only cook one meal. The kids (5 and 2) will either eat it or go hungry. Strangely, they don't seem that hungry at dinnertime anyway. I do try to alternate between kid-type meals and more adult foods. Some of the most popular items at my house are:

Panko breaded chicken, spayed with cooking spray and baked, serve with a variety of dipping sauces
    Pasta with tomato sauce and cheese
    Chicken and dumplings or chicken and noodles
    Fat free hotdogs and baked beans
    Chili

Also, I find that both kids are more willing to eat meat if it has a dipping sauce. This sometimes means reserving some of the marinade I used for the chicken or steak, boiling it for a minute, then spooning a little onto their plates. BBQ sauce, A1, ketchup and homemade ranch also all work in a pinch.

I love some of the veggie ideas like eggplant parm and zucchini fries, but my darn husband won't eat those! Maybe I'll make some for me & the kids anyway.
  • ssmyles
    Options
    My nephew, (who is 9) has his days for being picky when it comes to eating. We just make a regular meal and if choose not to eat the meat then we at least make sure that he eats the veggies, rice, salad or whatever other sides we make. I even go as far as asking him to just try it, like 3 or 4 pieces and if he still doesnt like it then he doesnt have to eat it. But 8 outta 10 times he realizes that he does like it and asks for more. You also might want to try to have them help you make dinner, if they are old enough, or least have them help you grab the ingrediants for the meal that you are making. It helps them see how things are made and will give them a sense of accomplishent and they will be excited to eat what they just made.
    Just try not to force them to eat it or make a big deal over it, as long as they are eating the health sides they will be fine. You might want to check out www.kraftrecipes.com, they have a section for kids along with some great under 500 calorie meals. Have fun & good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • jamiesgotagun
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, I will definitely be trying several of them!!! And I think I will be cooking only one dinner from now on!!