Coffee talk...

Options
I am on my third day of being Diet Pepsi free. So far so good.

I drink a couple cups of coffee in the morning and I'm looking for better alternatives to using Equal.
Anything out there?

Btw just so u know, I do not or cannot stomach the taste of black coffee.

Replies

• Eng8791
    Options
    Yes- use Truvia (or Purevia). It is derived from the stevia plant, and is calorie-free but all natural. It has been recommended by many nutritionists that I know, and is perfect to replace other artificial sweeteners in your coffee. Hope this helps!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    have you tried Truvia? I like it in my tea and coffee!
  • uscm91
    uscm91 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat..I used to grab sweet tea on the way to work...but I've done away with sugar.

I found that Organic Agave Nectar in my coffee is awesome...my wife buys the Chocolate Truffle Folgers stuff and the Nectar gives it a great taste. I do not use any creamer in it either....just black.

Also, I found that it doesn't upset my stomach like the sweet tea did.

BTW..the Nectar is a slow processing sugar...easy on the glycemic levels :)
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    there are many different flavors of coffee out there. try a lighter roast and flavored roast or even coffee with chicory (my favorite). also try adding less than 1/4 cup milk to your coffee. it smooths out the acid taste some brews have and doesn't alter your day much. I haven't used sugar in years
  • skinnymama157
    Options
    In my coffee I use splenda and about 2 tbsp of sugar free vanilla creamer. I can't stand black coffee either! I've noticed that the little bit of creamer is about 20 calories so not too bad, and it gives me some variety with all the flavors. Hope this helps!
  • funauntsherry
    funauntsherry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    good for you! my hurdle was sweet tea.... i just kept reducing the amount of sweetener until I had just unsweetened green iced tea as my caffeine fix :drinker: good luck with a sweetener alternative... for me, if I'm not having the real thing, I guess its none at all :flowerforyou:
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my sugar free coffee syrups by Torani or Davinci, I use them for tons of other things other than coffee too.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm in the same boat that you are in. I love Splenda in my coffee and it's just not the best thing in the world for anyone.
    For me, I'm trying to ween myself off of the stuff slowly but surely. Agave nectar isn't too bad, even though it's pretty calorie heavy. It's 60 calories per tablespoon- I think, don't quote me on that. But.. Coffee is way better than soda. I quit on sodas cold turkey. I will have one every now and then, but I don't have those sugar cravings like I used to.

Good luck!
  • alohajillian
    Options
    Splenda has coffee flavor packs. I think Hazelnut and French Vanilla. Sugar free and no calories.
  • father5
    Options
    Have you tried Truvia. It's natural, has 0 calories.
  • caribbean1019
    Options
    I use splenda and like it, no funny taste.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I do two coffees a day and use whole milk and 3 teaspoons of sugar (please don't stone me). I'm trying to find better alternatives. 1% milk is an obvious choice or even fat free. I hadn't thought about fat free creamers. Will need to look into that. Splenda, equal, truvia...none of those work for me. Just the thought makes me gag. Thinking of trying honey.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I use the Trader Joe's brand of Stevia / Truvia-- it's only 6 bucks for a huge container, much cheaper than other brands. Also, it's more the consistency of powdered sugar, which I prefer
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweetner is soooo bad for us. It affects my jaw and gives me HORRIBLE pain.

I don't know any alternatives. I just use vanilla cream.
  • chrysnel
    Options
    I put a big splash of Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze in my coffee - gives it a creamier taste with just a hint of sweet. And it's only 40 cals per cup so even if you use 1/4 cup, it's only 10 calories :)
  • gretchann917
    Options
    I cut out coffee completely. If you really need that burst of energy in the morning and you allow your body to adapt to it, orange juice can give you the same effect. Coffee is highly acidic, and acidic foods/ drinks make you store fat. (unless, of course, it is fruit.)
  • Amber_2005
    Amber_2005 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think you can still lose weight by taking your coffee with a tiny bit of skim milk and 2-3 teaspoons of regular sugar. That is the way I take it. I don't personally like artificial sweeteners. Aspartame has in studies caused cancer in laboratory rats. You just don't want to go crazy having several cups of coffee like that a day.
  • thebuxompilgrim
    thebuxompilgrim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    There is a brand called Sweet Leaf that makes liquid Stevia drops (instead of a crystal consistency). They even have flavored ones like vanilla and peppermint if you prefer a flavored coffee. Check the coffee aisle at your regular grocery store first or wherever you would find Truvia. If you don't find it there, you might find it at a co-op, supplement store, or a fancier grocery like Whole Foods. I know you can buy it on Amazon too. :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Yes- use Truvia (or Purevia). It is derived from the stevia plant, and is calorie-free but all natural. It has been recommended by many nutritionists that I know, and is perfect to replace other artificial sweeteners in your coffee. Hope this helps!

Purvia and Truvia are not all natural. Purvia is owned by Pepsi and Truvia is a Coca-Cola owned company..........

These 2 products are highly processed forms of Stevia and are made from GMO plants.

The best Stevia is to get your own plants and a pestiule and dry the leaves, then grind it yourself............or use a brand of Stevia purchased from a Vitamin shop or health food store.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    There is a brand called Sweet Leaf that makes liquid Stevia drops (instead of a crystal consistency). They even have flavored ones like vanilla and peppermint if you prefer a flavored coffee. Check the coffee aisle at your regular grocery store first or wherever you would find Truvia. If you don't find it there, you might find it at a co-op, supplement store, or a fancier grocery like Whole Foods. I know you can buy it on Amazon too. :)

Yes, sweet leaf is the greatest Stevia I have found. Also, Trader Joes brand is pretty good too.