Valentines Day Disaster

Options
We had such a good day. I didnt track, because it was a special day, and I was gone all day, but we went to the zoo, we didnt eat any junk while we were there, had a good breakfast, and lunch, and did a lot of walking.
When my mom got off of work and took the kids we did a movie and dinner. Went to Applebees, I ate off of their 550cal menu, we had a good time, and thought we would split a dessert. After all we had been working really hard lately, and it was a special occasion. And then right after we ordered the dessert, our waitress asked me if my son(we forgot his bed and mom couldnt get him to calm down so we took him to dinner with us) was having a little brother or a little sister.
You can imagine how that ruined the Valentines Day mood, and the dessert.....

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    OMG! Seriously!? Don't people have manners anymore?! One should NEVER say anything unless they are 140% positive the woman is pregnant.

Lame.

This happened to me many times last year before my surgery (benign tumor on ovary).

Try not to let it get to you....make it motivate you to work that much harder. What a *kitten* she was.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    :-( That is so hard. HUGS! This too shall pass, and you can go back in a few months and show her!
  • Diya13
    Diya13 Posts: 24
    Options
    That was totally rude of her! If you're doing well and progressing that's all that matters, don't let tactless people bother you!
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    What a *kitten* she was.

Here, here! One should never ask if a woman is pregnant -- ever. A girl at work was (she had her little boy yesterday) and for a month everyone was debating asking her and nobody wanted to. In the end she told people and we all breathed a sigh of relief. I'm sorry your dinner and dessert was ruined :( You should write a letter of complaint to the manager and I hope you didn't leave her a good tip!
  • Godsflower1789
    Options
    i get that too...especially when im with my little sisters. they assume i'm the mom because am larger than my mother.

and my vday sucked too. <hugs> between missing classes, getting into a huge fight, and missing my train and being stranded in downtown chicago...it was a nightmare.

just smile and know you're doing something about it!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    wow beyond rude
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    People are dumb so you shouldn't let it bother you! I'm sure that was really hard, but you know you are looking great and doing well so that is what counts. Don't let it get you down!

3672548.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • promiseskept
    Options
    I had someone do this to me recently too. She was someone I admire too and she rubbed my belly and asked when I was due I was so angry. I blurted out "You just rubbed my fat". It embarrassed her and it was so out of my character to say something like that but later when I told my hubby he laughed hard. People should really think before they say things, I am so sorry it happened to you on a special day. Don't let it get to you, you are doing something about it and that matters most!!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me several times in my life.. and it's NOT fun! So sorry she opened her big fat mouth!!!! I carry my weight around my tummy and when I'm sitting it's even worse, which may be the case for you as well. Please don't let it bother you, she's just ignorant!!!! There's no excuse for that question unless you're POSITIVE a woman is expecting, like you can see a hand sticking out or something!! Geesh, people, get a freaking clue!!!!

You rock for choosing the under 550 menu.. they have some yummy choices!!!
  • pcmoore
    pcmoore Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    OMG...What did you say? I've had that happen before too and I said "NO, that's just my fat belly" Embarrassed the crap out of them!
    I too once stuck my foot in my mouth but it was a little different. I worked in a MD's office and a pt came in and was showing off pictures of a baby, clearly he was quite proud to be showing them and at stupid 19yo self says "is that your grandson?" NO IT WAS HIS CHILD! I nearly melted into the ground and I had another nurse take care of him the rest of that day. When he came back I did get the courage to apologize and he was a good sport about it.
    Sometimes people just say dumb things...Hopefully she learned her lesson....unfortunately at your expense. So sorry!
  • jenboz512
    Options
    She was probably just upset because she was working and you were having a lovely Valentine's Day with your husband and son. Jealousy can cause people to act horribly, she was probably trying to ruin everyones day!
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart! I'm so sorry that happened.

But I do have a friend who has asked that question twice (2 different people, 2 different occassions) and neither person was pregnant. She said she felt so bad she wanted to jump in front of a bus. I think she's learned her lesson now.
  • gryfin
    gryfin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i would have said something snarky... that person was horrible for asking.
    "Dave Barry once said in his column that you should never assume a woman is pregnant unless you see a baby coming out of her at that specific point in time... "

keep up the good work, and just don't let the bad ones get you down.
  • alohajillian
    Options
    That's terrible. It has happened to me too. Try not to let it get to you and use it as motivation to keep pushing! Before MFP I would grab anything to console myself with food, now I process it differently. Go work it out on a punching bag! HA! Seriously though, hang in there. People are stupid!
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    Grrrr! I hate when people do that! I'm so sorry that happened! When will strangers just learn to shut the hell up! It's not like as your server they're your best friend or anything! Good grief! <<<HUGS>>>

You know what progress you've made and the important thing is that you're doing something about it. Keep up the great work!!