Any low-cal Pot pie recipe suggestions for someone picky?

Options
I haven't really found one yet because my favorite part of the whole thing is the crust and the bread :( I tried the kind that's basically a casserole with the biscuits on top...so was not the same. haha

Sigh....and I thought I wasn't a picky eater. :ohwell:

If anyone has any recipes you think would do the trick I'd love to try some out, I miss pot pies.

chicken-pot-pie-on-red-plate-thumb13693312.jpg

Replies

• JulieTX86
    Options
    what about doing the pillsbury roll out dough. It comes w/ two in a package. I used to use one for the bottom and one for the top, but you could save a ton of calories by using just the top layer.... Then use canned chicken, cream of chicken soup and some vege-all and voila!

edited: (forgot to put cream of chicken soup, whoops) it's added now! :)
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I make mini pot pies in muffin tins. I use a Pilsbury Grand flaky biscuit that I split in half when it is raw (half on the bottom, half on the top). I love that the bread is all the way around it. You can easily use low fat biscuits and filling ingredients to lower the calories. I mix up cream of chicken soup, mixed veggies, and left over chicken for the filling.
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This sounds yummy. I might have to try this too. Thanks.
  • x3mommy
    x3mommy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    cutting the crust in half is going to be your best bet, not necessarily the tastiest. I have yet to find one I like, I'm looking for a Gluten Free one...
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    I use the pillsbury dough when I'm not using biscuits. It actually works out not too bad calorie wise, if you're careful what you put inside. I use homemade stock to make the gravy so that helps a lot.
  • krsslim
    krsslim Posts: 191
    Options
    There is one in my weight watchers cookbook/magazine (I'm not on WW, but the recipes are yummy), but it only uses a top crust. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll post the recipe.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know you could buy just dough. I'll have to look into that next time I go to the store!
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    There is one in my weight watchers cookbook/magazine (I'm not on WW, but the recipes are yummy), but it only uses a top crust. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll post the recipe.

I'd love if you could post the recipe please!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I like this one:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Pot-Pie-IX/Detail.aspx

I would double check the nutrition information based on your pie crust though!

I second using the Pillsbury roll-out pie crusts (or the generic version of them... I use Kroger brand). They are great! You can find them in the refrigerated section with the biscuits, crescent rolls, etc.
  • Ashtarot
    Ashtarot Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How low cal do you want it? My home made one is a little over 300 calories with about 37 carbs.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I was trying to hit around 200-250 calories. The ones you can buy in the store are between 400 and well TO MUCH. :laugh:
  • Ashtarot
    Ashtarot Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    MMMM ok This is what the recipe calculator came up with for mine. You could take some things out to bring the calories down for you. I shoot for the 300 to 500 range for me. this serves 8.

Ingredients Calories Carbs Fat Protein Calcium Sodium

Chicken - Breast, meat only, 2 unit (yield from 1 lb ready-to-cook chicken) 172 0 4 32 2 77
    Del Monte - Sweet Peas No Salt Added Canned , 1 cup 120 26 0 6 4 20
    Corn - Sweet, yellow, canned, whole kernel, drained solids, 1 cup 133 30 2 4 1 351
    Pillsbury - Ready Pie Crust, 1 container (2 crusts ea.) 1,600 192 96 16 0 2,080
    Vegetables - Broccoli - Steamed, 1 cup 50 12 0 6 8 60
    Generic (Fresh) - Russet Potato, Steamed or Boiled, 1 cup (78.0 g) 136 31 0 3 8 6
    Garlic - Raw, 3 cloves 13 3 0 1 2 2
    Better Than Bouillon - Chicken Base, 2 tsp (6g) 30 4 1 2 0 1,360
    - Heavy Whipping Cream Ultra-Pasteurized, 4 Tbsp. 200 0 20 0 0 20
    Spices - Pepper, black, 1 tsp 5 1 0 0 1 1

Total: 2459 299 123 70 26 3977
    Per Serving: 307 37 15 9 3 497