Heart Rate Monitor??

Options
HOw much does a HRM cost and what exactly does it do? Also where do you get them at? Thank you! :)

Replies

• rgustin
    rgustin Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't know all the things they do, but I do know that they will monitor your heart rate and show how many calories you burn. I just ordered one from http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com I should be getting it tomorrow. The cost was a little over 100, but you can find cheaper ones.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/

Go polar or go home
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Check out amazon.com for a good place to start your research. Basically a HRM monitors your HR - some are fancier than others and will do more things - alarm you when your HR is too high too low, track your distance, track calories burned and more. The fancier you get, the higher the price. Alot of people seem to like Polars. I just ordered a Timex and am waiting for it to arrive. Happy hunting! You can purchase one at a sporting or fitness store or online!
  • slpardue
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my heart rate monitor! I have a polar F-4. It was around $100. It tells you your target zones for best results, how many calories your body burns and keeps record files for you so you can look back. Totally worth the money!
  • lorirogs
    lorirogs Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    (BodyMedia) I bought mine at CostCo for 200.00 it tells you how many calories you burn. I love mine!!
  • incognitopotato
    incognitopotato Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started out with a Timex heart rate monitor from Amazon.com (about $30) that measured current heart rate, workout duration, avg and max heart rate, and total calories burned. If you are just beginning that would probably cover most everything you want. I can't remember the model but a quick search around should turn it up, or at least a similar one.

Now that I run a lot more, I have a Polar FT60 which does a lot of other fancy things and was quite a bit more of an "investment" :P They also sell Polars that are geared toward weight training or cycling. You can decide for yourself what features you will use and how many extra bells and whistles you want to get.

Most heart rate monitors come with a chest strap that you need to wear to measure your heartbeat. Some measure your heart rate just by the pulse in your wrist and do not use a chest strap, but I think they are not as accurate.